BeeJ

7/14/2012 9:11:00 PM

How is Windows Icon size determined?
e.g. on Win XP Pro a desktop toolbar has the menu View\Large Icons and
View\Small Icons. This size probably varies by screen resolution. I
want my VB6 app to have icons no smaller than the say the View\Small
Icons value. How do I get that size and also for the desktop icon
size?

--
Present and unaccounted for.

2 Answers

BeeJ

BeeJ formulated on Saturday :
> How is Windows Icon size determined?
> e.g. on Win XP Pro a desktop toolbar has the menu View\Large Icons and
> View\Small Icons. This size probably varies by screen resolution. I want my
> VB6 app to have icons no smaller than the say the View\Small Icons value.
> How do I get that size and also for the desktop icon size?

Maybe I am just confused about how icon sizes work.
For now I think maybe that this will give me what I need regardless of
screen size. Does this seem correct?

Private Declare Function GetSystemMetrics Lib "user32" (ByVal nIndex As
Long) As Long

Const SM_CXSMICON = 49
Const SM_CYSMICON = 50

lXPix = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSMICON)
lYPix = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYSMICON)

Size in pixels.

--
Present and unaccounted for.

Dee Earley

On 14/07/2012 22:10, BeeJ wrote:
> How is Windows Icon size determined?
> e.g. on Win XP Pro a desktop toolbar has the menu View\Large Icons and
> View\Small Icons. This size probably varies by screen resolution. I
> want my VB6 app to have icons no smaller than the say the View\Small
> Icons value. How do I get that size and also for the desktop icon size?

The common icon sizes are 16x16, 32x32, and 48x48. Sometimes they also
have 24x24 and 96x96.
As long as you provide these, Windows will do what is best.

--
Deanna Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

(Replies direct to my email address will be ignored. Please reply to the
group.)