microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Certification requirement for Win8 apps

Abhishek

6/13/2012 11:31:00 AM

1. Apps are compatible and resilient
The times when an app crashes or stops responding cause much user
frustration. Apps are expected to be resilient and stable and eliminating
such failures helps ensure that software is more predictable, maintainable,
performant and trustworthy.

1.2 Your app must not take a dependency on the VB6 runtime

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh7...

4 Answers

GS

Abhishek explained on 6/13/2012 :
> 1. Apps are compatible and resilient
> The times when an app crashes or stops responding cause much user
> frustration. Apps are expected to be resilient and stable and eliminating
> such failures helps ensure that software is more predictable, maintainable,
> performant and trustworthy.
>
> 1.2 Your app must not take a dependency on the VB6 runtime
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh7...

So I suspect that including msvbvm60.dll in the app folder and using a
manifest should be sufficient for our VB6 apps to run on Win8. Can
anyone confirm this will work?

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-sep...
ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Tom Shelton

GS brought next idea :
> Abhishek explained on 6/13/2012 :
>> 1. Apps are compatible and resilient
>> The times when an app crashes or stops responding cause much user
>> frustration. Apps are expected to be resilient and stable and
>> eliminating
>> such failures helps ensure that software is more predictable,
>> maintainable,
>> performant and trustworthy.
>>
>> 1.2 Your app must not take a dependency on the VB6 runtime
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh7...
>
> So I suspect that including msvbvm60.dll in the app folder and using
> a manifest should be sufficient for our VB6 apps to run on Win8. Can
> anyone confirm this will work?

This isn't about being able to run - the runtime will be there and MS
is still takign the "it just works" stance with VB6. This is just a
windows 8 logo certification requirement. In other words, VB.CLASSIC
apps will run and should work properly, but won't be able to be logo
certified.

--
Tom Shelton

Mike Williams

"Abhishek" <abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 1. [Micro$oft recommend that] Apps are compatible and resilient
> The times when an app crashes or stops responding cause much
> user frustration. Apps are expected to be resilient and stable and
> eliminating such failures helps ensure that software is more
> predictable, maintainable, performant and trustworthy.

Well that puts paid to the latest version of Micro$oft's own flagship word
processor then (and also to earlier versions of it), which under certain
specific conditions crashes ignominiously to the ground every time, even
when running on the latest current version of their own flagship operating
system (and also on eralier versions of it)! Micro$oft are a load of
bollocks! Perhaps they should take heed of their own warnings to others!

Mike

GS

Tom Shelton explained :
> GS brought next idea :
>> Abhishek explained on 6/13/2012 :
>>> 1. Apps are compatible and resilient
>>> The times when an app crashes or stops responding cause much user
>>> frustration. Apps are expected to be resilient and stable and eliminating
>>> such failures helps ensure that software is more predictable,
>>> maintainable,
>>> performant and trustworthy.
>>>
>>> 1.2 Your app must not take a dependency on the VB6 runtime
>>>
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh7...
>>
>> So I suspect that including msvbvm60.dll in the app folder and using a
>> manifest should be sufficient for our VB6 apps to run on Win8. Can anyone
>> confirm this will work?
>
> This isn't about being able to run - the runtime will be there and MS is
> still takign the "it just works" stance with VB6. This is just a windows 8
> logo certification requirement. In other words, VB.CLASSIC apps will run and
> should work properly, but won't be able to be logo certified.

Thanks, Tom!