microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

text encryption but with some requirememnts

mm

6/8/2012 3:47:00 PM

Hello,

I need to store the text of documents into an Access database in order to be
able to locate the documents by searching phrases that are contained in the
documents (*).

But, an Access database is not something that we could call "secure", in
fact anyone can enter and see what is inside. Even setting a password (this
database will have one) it's rather easy for anyone to find the password
(with a program) and gain access.

What I want is to encrypt the text of the documents.
It doesn't have to be an encryption aimed for experienced hackers or
crackers, it's mostly for "advanced users" (for example like me) for not
being able to see the texts. But of course, if it's stronger, the better.

But there are some requirements:
I want to still be able to search for phrases in the documents with an SQL
query (I use DAO), of course encrypting also the phrase before the search.

Another requirement could be not to increase the size of the texts too much.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

(*) With the program the users won't have access to the full text of the
documents, but they just will be able to perform searches.

169 Answers

topaz

On Nov 7, 7:57 am, Mack A. Damia <mybaconbu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 03:37:31 -0800 (PST), topazgalaxy
>

> <topazgal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Nov 6, 7:43 pm, Danny McEvoy <thewalruswasda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4...
>
> >> It got to number 2 in July 69...(I still have Pepe by Duene Eddy to
> >> do!) otherwise I've done every number 2 of the sixties..already done
> >> every number one..there are 38 number 3s to go!!..anyway organised it
> >> to sing GPAC in the pub and get everyone to sing along..enjoy!! Did
> >> this today!!
>
> >> Danny
>
> >Thank you for sharing this with us.
> >I also enjoyed   your rendition of "Peace Train" with the posters in
> >the background of that video!
> >It is too bad Cat Stevens has converted  away from true peace and rock
> >and roll.
>
> Isn't he a Muslim?  If I were one, I'd be bitter, too, with all the
> anti-Muslim sentiment floating around.  You don't have to go too far
> to find it.

Cat Stevens has now converted to Islam, yes, but as far as his being
bitter??
Are you saying he is bitter?
I still feel it is a shame he converted away from the Peace Train.

Mack A. Damia

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:15:13 -0800 (PST), topazgalaxy
<topazgalaxy@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Nov 7, 7:57?am, Mack A. Damia <mybaconbu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 03:37:31 -0800 (PST), topazgalaxy
>>

>> <topazgal...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Thank you for sharing this with us.
>> >I also enjoyed ? your rendition of "Peace Train" with the posters in
>> >the background of that video!
>> >It is too bad Cat Stevens has converted ?away from true peace and rock
>> >and roll.
>>
>> Isn't he a Muslim? ?If I were one, I'd be bitter, too, with all the
>> anti-Muslim sentiment floating around. ?You don't have to go too far
>> to find it.
>
>Cat Stevens has now converted to Islam, yes, but as far as his being
>bitter??
>Are you saying he is bitter?
>I still feel it is a shame he converted away from the Peace Train.

I'm fairly certain that most peace-loving Muslims feel at least
"uncomfortable" at the anti-Muslim wave sweeping the U.S. following
the recent developments.

electriclightfan

On Nov 7, 12:15 pm, topazgalaxy <topazgal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Cat Stevens has now converted to Islam...

Cats Stevens formally converted to the Islamic religion on 23 December
1977.

Danny McEvoy

On Nov 7, 9:24 pm, Mack A. Damia <mybaconbu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:15:13 -0800 (PST), topazgalaxy
>

> <topazgal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Nov 7, 7:57 am, Mack A. Damia  <mybaconbu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> Isn't he a Muslim?  If I were one, I'd be bitter, too, with all the
> >> anti-Muslim sentiment floating around.  You don't have to go too far
> >> to find it.
>
> >Cat Stevens has now converted to Islam, yes, but as far as his being
> >bitter??
> >Are you saying he is bitter?
> >I still feel it is a shame he converted away from the Peace Train.
>
> I'm fairly certain that most peace-loving Muslims feel at least
> "uncomfortable" at the anti-Muslim wave sweeping the U.S. following
> the recent developments.- Hide quoted text -

I dig Cat Stevens..I don't care too much about whatever sky-fairy he
harps on about..that's up to him..but the music and melodies were
always pretty good...I can go as far as Buddah and the Chocolate Box
(Catch Bull at 4 was a fine album)..then he did Foreigner which has a
nice melody bit in it as well..Numbers was iffy..I like the Old
schoolyard.from that LP//oh Hold on was that from Izitso? Might have
been....Oh Very Young is an excellent song IMO..and then he got God
(sky Fairy) and lost his way musically..I don't care about the God
thing..I know the Yanks get het up about him..doesn't really happen
much over here..mostly the Brits just embrace the old great stuff and
forget about him getting Islamic..Those two LPs (Teaser and the
Firecat and Tea for the Tillerman) were just amazing LPs..you can't
knock em for the music and to me that's the key..sod the Goddy
stuff...who cares that he's embraced some fictional being out
there..he sings songs with good melody..that's what counts in my eyes/
ears.

Danny

topaz

On Nov 7, 7:15 pm, AllaBest <electriclight...@att.net> wrote:
> On Nov 7, 12:15 pm, topazgalaxy <topazgal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Cat Stevens has now converted to Islam...
>
> Cats Stevens formally converted to the Islamic religion on 23 December
> 1977.

thanks

topaz

On Nov 7, 7:31 pm, Danny McEvoy <thewalruswasda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 7, 9:24 pm, Mack A. Damia  <mybaconbu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:15:13 -0800 (PST), topazgalaxy
>
> > <topazgal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >Cat Stevens has now converted to Islam, yes, but as far as his being
> > >bitter??
> > >Are you saying he is bitter?
> > >I still feel it is a shame he converted away from the Peace Train.
>
> > I'm fairly certain that most peace-loving Muslims feel at least
> > "uncomfortable" at the anti-Muslim wave sweeping the U.S. following
> > the recent developments.- Hide quoted text -

> I dig Cat Stevens..I don't care too much about whatever sky-fairy he
> harps on about..that's up to him..but the music and melodies were
> always pretty good...I can go as far as Buddah and the Chocolate Box
> (Catch Bull at 4 was a fine album)..then he did Foreigner which has a
> nice melody bit in it as well..Numbers was iffy..I like the Old
> schoolyard.from that LP//oh Hold on was that from Izitso? Might have
> been....Oh Very Young is an excellent song IMO..and then he got God
> (sky Fairy) and lost his way musically..I don't care about the God
> thing..I know the Yanks get het up about him..doesn't really happen
> much over here..mostly the Brits just embrace the old great stuff and
> forget about him getting Islamic..Those two LPs (Teaser and the
> Firecat and Tea for the Tillerman) were just amazing LPs..you can't
> knock em for the music and to me that's the key..sod the Goddy
> stuff...who cares that he's embraced some fictional being out
> there..he sings songs with good melody..that's what counts in my eyes/
> ears.
>
> Danny

You have some valid points, however, he did not just embrace Islam
IIRC but he has taken a political stance regarding MidEast politics
that I would not agree with;
I could be wrong but I believe he was even banned from coming to the
USA at some point temporarily ??? It was more than his faith.

It is as if he lost his way when he got off the Peace Train.

Mack A. Damia

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 16:31:32 -0800 (PST), Danny McEvoy
<thewalruswasdanny@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Nov 7, 9:24?pm, Mack A. Damia <mybaconbu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:15:13 -0800 (PST), topazgalaxy
>>

>> <topazgal...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Cat Stevens has now converted to Islam, yes, but as far as his being
>> >bitter??
>> >Are you saying he is bitter?
>> >I still feel it is a shame he converted away from the Peace Train.
>>
>> I'm fairly certain that most peace-loving Muslims feel at least
>> "uncomfortable" at the anti-Muslim wave sweeping the U.S. following
>> the recent developments.- Hide quoted text -

>I dig Cat Stevens..I don't care too much about whatever sky-fairy he
>harps on about..that's up to him..but the music and melodies were
>always pretty good...I can go as far as Buddah and the Chocolate Box
>(Catch Bull at 4 was a fine album)..then he did Foreigner which has a
>nice melody bit in it as well..Numbers was iffy..I like the Old
>schoolyard.from that LP//oh Hold on was that from Izitso? Might have
>been....Oh Very Young is an excellent song IMO..and then he got God
>(sky Fairy) and lost his way musically..I don't care about the God
>thing..I know the Yanks get het up about him..doesn't really happen
>much over here..mostly the Brits just embrace the old great stuff and
>forget about him getting Islamic..Those two LPs (Teaser and the
>Firecat and Tea for the Tillerman) were just amazing LPs..you can't
>knock em for the music and to me that's the key..sod the Goddy
>stuff...who cares that he's embraced some fictional being out
>there..he sings songs with good melody..that's what counts in my eyes/
>ears.

I like his music.

"Wild World" was one of my favorites in 1970. One of those songs that
sticks in your mind at a special time of your life. I had just
returned from RVN.

Nil

On 07 Nov 2011, Danny McEvoy <thewalruswasdanny@gmail.com> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> Those two LPs (Teaser and the Firecat and Tea for the
> Tillerman) were just amazing LPs..you can't knock em for the music
> and to me that's the key..sod the Goddy stuff...who cares that
> he's embraced some fictional being out there..he sings songs with
> good melody..that's what counts in my eyes/ ears.

I totally agree. Those are wonderful albums, and I don't much care what
his current religious affiliations are.

Nil

On 07 Nov 2011, topazgalaxy <topazgalaxy@gmail.com> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> It is as if he lost his way when he got off the Peace Train.

When did you lose your way?

topaz

On Nov 8, 1:11 am, Nil <redno...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> On 07 Nov 2011, topazgalaxy <topazgal...@gmail.com> wrote in
> rec.music.beatles:
>
> > It is as if he lost his way when he got off the Peace Train.
>
> When did you lose your way?

Ha, ha you are funny.
I am not lost, and I did not try Hare Krishna. In the future I can
consider a left a Greenland to see where the path goes. :)