Chakravarthy

4/1/2007 6:50:00 PM

I have a basic question.

Within a READ COMMITTED transaction, will an UPDATE statement lock the
table, or the row being updated ?

And what is the granularity of the lock if the transaction is READ
UNCOMMITTED ?

2 Answers

Erland Sommarskog

Chakravarthy (r_chakravarthy@hotmail.com) writes:
> I have a basic question.
>
> Within a READ COMMITTED transaction, will an UPDATE statement lock the
> table, or the row being updated ?

If there is index on the table matching the WHERE condition, the UPDATE
will probably only lock the row. But you update many rows, the lock may
be escalated to table table level.

> And what is the granularity of the lock if the transaction is READ
> UNCOMMITTED ?

Exclusive. Until the transaction is committed, no other process is able to
access the row with the updated values, unless they use READ UNCOMMITTED.
(Note that in SQL 2005, there are two snapshot flavours where other
processes are able to access the old version of the row.

Note that the isolation level of the updater does not matter.

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/...
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/...

Viviane Love

Aviroce <dudaraster@gmail.com> wrote in news:22d585c3-5015-432d-a278-
17f85db91943@v31g2000vbs.googlegroups.com:

> Quote by Aviroce:

Here is a quote from Hamas racists:

Hamas Principles

The principles of the Hamas are stated in their Covenant or Charter,
given in full below. Following are highlights.

"Israel will exist and will continue to exist until Islam will
obliterate it, just as it obliterated others before it." (The Martyr,
Imam Hassan al-Banna, of blessed memory).

"The Islamic Resistance Movement believes that the land of Palestine is
an Islamic Waqf consecrated for future Muslim generations until
Judgement Day. It, or any part of it, should not be squandered: it, or
any part of it, should not be given up. "

"There is no solution for the Palestinian question except through Jihad.
Initiatives, proposals and international conferences are all a waste of
time and vain endeavors."

"After Palestine, the Zionists aspire to expand from the Nile to the
Euphrates. When they will have digested the region they overtook, they
will aspire to further expansion, and so on. Their plan is embodied in
the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion", and their present conduct is the
best proof of what we are saying."

The charter is a rather classical Islamist document, applied to the
local issues. It declares that Jihad (in the sense of armed battle) is
the only solution. It cites the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, a
ludicrous anti-Semitic forgery.

The "Zionists" and the freemasons and others are blamed for what Hamas
and radical Islamists see as the major calamities of the world,
especially the French Revolution.

One of the most ominous aspects of the Charter however, is this Hadith:

Moreover, if the links have been distant from each other and if
obstacles, placed by those who are the lackeys of Zionism in the way of
the fighters obstructed the continuation of the struggle, the Islamic
Resistance Movement aspires to the realisation of Allah's promise, no
matter how long that should take. The Prophet, Allah bless him and grant
him salvation, has said:

"The Day of Judgement will not come about until Muslims fight the Jews
(killing the Jews), when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The
stones and trees will say O Muslims, O Abdulla, there is a Jew behind
me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree, would not do that because
it is one of the trees of the Jews." (related by al-Bukhari and Muslim).

The implication is clear: Allah promised that the Jews will be murdered,
and the Hamas "aspires to the realisation of Allah's promise, no matter
how long that should take."

Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood
Some observers deny the relation between the Hamas and the Muslim
Brotherhood. However, the Charter states:

The Islamic Resistance Movement is one of the wings of Muslim
Brotherhood in Palestine. Muslim Brotherhood Movement is a universal
organization which constitutes the largest Islamic movement in modern
times. It is characterised by its deep understanding, accurate
comprehension and its complete embrace of all Islamic concepts of all
aspects of life, culture, creed, politics, economics, education,
society, justice and judgement, the spreading of Islam, education, art,
information, science of the occult and conversion to Islam.

Moreover, the Charter quotes Hassan Al-Banna, a Nazi sympathizer who
founded the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. There is no doubt that the
Hamas views itself as a part of the Muslim Brotherhood and an
ideological heir of al Banna. The Muslim Brotherhood spawned a number of
radical Islamist movements including Al-Qaeda.

Current Hamas Positions
Some analysts insist that the Hamas is becoming more pragmatic in its
ideology following assumption of a political role. The evidence for this
is view is conflicting, and it is beclouded by the practice of
dissemblance that was copied from Al-Banna and Sayyed Qutb. Recent
statements by leaders include the following:

Imam Yousif al-Zahar of Hamas said in his sermon at the Katib Wilayat
mosque in Gaza that "Jews are a people who cannot be trusted. They have
been traitors to all agreements. Go back to history. Their fate is their
vanishing." Ref IHT 1 April 08
Sheik Yunus al-Astal, a Hamas legislator and imam, in a column in the
weekly newspaper Al Risalah in 2008 discussed a Koranic verse suggesting
that "suffering by fire is the Jews' destiny in this world and the
next." Astal concluded "Therefore we are sure that the Holocaust is
still to come upon the Jews.Ref IHT 1 April 08
"We will not rest until we destroy the Zionist entity" stated Hamas
leader Fathi Hammad in Gaza on Friday January 2nd 2009 - ref -- BBC 2
January 09

In a sermon aired on Hamas' Al-Aqsa television, cleric Yunis Al Astal
stated, "Today, Rome is the capital of the Catholics, or the Crusader
capital, which has declared its hostility to Islam, and has planted the
brothers of apes and pigs in Palestine in order to prevent the
reawakening of Islam.
"I believe that our children, or our grandchildren, will inherit our
jihad and our sacrifices, and, Allah willing, the commanders of the
conquest will come from among them"

He maintained that Rome would become, ""an advanced post for the Islamic
conquests, which will spread though Europe in its entirety, and then
will turn to the two Americas, even Eastern Europe." Ref- Fox 14 Apr.
2008

Other statements are more moderate in tone, but Hamas has repeatedly
refused international community demands to recognize the right of Israel
to exist, abrogate its charter and abide by the previous commitments of
the Palestinian Authority
~~