microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

OT- what reg cleaner do you trust?

Ice Foot

5/19/2012 1:19:00 PM

Sorry for the OT but you folks are the only ones on the web I know I can
trust. Went to CNET reviews and they were pushing some that users
claimed had trojans and viruses... couse I don't know who the users
were, maybe they were morons, but there were a lot of them.
Appreciate any suggestions from the group
Thanks, and sorry again for the OT
Mark
28 Answers

Bigot Zapper

On Friday, November 4, 2011 12:55:59 PM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote:

> > > http://riggssm.t...
> >
> > A blogger writing, "I think I just heard Herman Cain sort of use this
> > non-word in a sentence" is considered verifying what Cain did or didn't
> > say? Using that criteria I can start a blog, write "Mack A. Damia is a
> > "(choose any vile, disgusting, and most likely untrue noun)or
> > "Mack A. Damia enjoys farm animals" (again, let your most
> > depraved thoughts fill in the blank) and you'll have to agree that it
> > is, in fact, true.

You failed to address the fact there is no reliable, verifiable attribution.. As a matter of fact, you failed to address this cite at all. No name-calling or redirection.

You're slipping.

> > > http://twi...!/mleif
> > >
> > > mleif Marc
> > > "Recolate" - Herman Cain
> > >

> > Since you seem to be a stickler for detail, but not fact, the spelling
> > is different. But more substantially, it doesn't prove anything other
> > than some moron tweeted a variation of a made-up word without
> > attribution. Also, see previous response immediately written above.
>
> You asked for references. I supplied the observations of others who
> heard Cain say the word. The spelling was irrelevant considering the
> word doesn't appear in the dictionary.
>
> Is that the best you can come up with? Attacking a misspelled non-word?
> That's pathetic, bunky, and if you check the first link, you'll see the
> blogger spelled it the way I did. Cain didn't issue a press release
> with his non-word spelled out, so how the fuck does anybody know how
> it's spelled? I took it in the same genre as collate or recollect,
> both of which have two Ls.
>
> That's really a silly, stupid way to get your way in an argument,
> though. Shame on you and the school that should have flunked you.

I only mentioned the spelling because of your parsing in the original response, my pointing out that the current commander-in-chief doesn't have a total grasp of the English language just as most of us don't. The misspelled word isn't my issue. It's your inability to verify the words you attributed to Herman Cain by what most would consider a verifiable media source. Not some anonymous blogger or tweet or comment posted by a reader. Name-calling, misdirection, and disingenuous excuses don't reconcile the fact that no known media source has attributed either "recollate" or "recolate" to Mr. Cain. Only you and three unverified sources.

In other words, your comprehension appears to be lacking. Not a good thing for one that is so puffed-up about his own education and intelligence.

> > > http://blogs.ajc.com/kyle-wingfield/2011/11/01/2012-tuesday-the-response-not-the-allegations-got-the-worst-of-...
> > >
> > > recolate sayeth the hermanator..loofah-falafel man throwing softball
> > > questions holy moly.. clem November 1st, 2011, 8:12 pm
> > >

> > A comment left by a reader in response to an article that does not
> > mention either "recollate" or "recolate". Also, see previous responses
> > immediately written above.
> >

> > > http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/... politics02.html
> > >

> > A comment left by a reader in response to an article that does not
> > mention either "recollate" or "recolate". Also, see previous responses
> > immediately written above.
>
> Every link I posted has either recollate or recolate in it in regard to
> Cain's gaffe. That you can't find it illustrates your lack of acumen.
> At least have the ingtrity to admit you are wrong when you are wrong,
> but, alas, that's the younger generation; they no nothing of integrity.

I agreed that the links provided have the word in question within them (another failure in your reading comprehension). I even pointed out where I read them. I also pointed out that the one news article you cited DIDN'T have the word in it, only a comment left by a reader mentioned it. Hardly a reputable source. As for my supposed lack of integrity, one need only read your dishonest and condescending replies to gauge which of us lacks true integrity.

> By the way.........
>
> <*plonk*>

Translation: Bigot Zapper challenged your assertion and Mack A. Damia couldn't properly defend it.

Then there's your refusal (twice) to address the "Cominskey" Park quote by Mr. Obama.

All you've succeeded in doing is, to quote you elsewhere in this thread, "....blow smoke on the essence of the discussion"

Mayayana

| Sorry for the OT but you folks are the only ones on the web I know I can
| trust.

That whole class of software is nonsense. It mainly
cleans out the *\Software\* subkeys, which are harmless,
and you can easily clean them by hand if you want to.
The other thing they might do is to check that CLSIDs
are valid by making sure the paths to InProcServer32
and LocalServer32 files are valid. That's rarely a problem.
If it is, you'll find out soon enough.

I think it's analogous to washing your car engine in
order to make it run better. It does no real good and
occasionally could do harm. It's just a way for non-
mechanics to feel that they're doing what they can to
keep up with auto maintenance.

Mayayana

Another thought: For questions like this you can
ask in the Windows groups, like these:

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

I think they're still active, but they also tend to
be populated by a lot of wiseacres looking for
something to do. The answers you get will range
from the very well-informed to the reckless rantings
of blowhards.

"mp" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message news:jp86ke$nek$1@dont-email.me...
| Sorry for the OT but you folks are the only ones on the web I know I can
| trust. Went to CNET reviews and they were pushing some that users
| claimed had trojans and viruses... couse I don't know who the users
| were, maybe they were morons, but there were a lot of them.
| Appreciate any suggestions from the group
| Thanks, and sorry again for the OT
| Mark

(Mike Mitchell)

On Sat, 19 May 2012 10:16:18 -0400, "Mayayana"
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>| Sorry for the OT but you folks are the only ones on the web I know I can
>| trust.
>
> That whole class of software is nonsense. It mainly
>cleans out the *\Software\* subkeys, which are harmless,
>and you can easily clean them by hand if you want to.
>The other thing they might do is to check that CLSIDs
>are valid by making sure the paths to InProcServer32
>and LocalServer32 files are valid. That's rarely a problem.
>If it is, you'll find out soon enough.
>
> I think it's analogous to washing your car engine in
>order to make it run better. It does no real good and
>occasionally could do harm. It's just a way for non-
>mechanics to feel that they're doing what they can to
>keep up with auto maintenance.

Yes, but you ARE removing clutter from the registry. Those keys may be
harmless, but they are unneccesarily taking up space.

BTW, to mp, I use ccleaner now for all the different types of cleaning
it does. I've also used Auslogics Registry Cleaner, which seemed to
work fine and it's free, too.

MM

BeeJ

CCleaner
works
free
has many other useful features too.

avi

On 19 mai, 21:11, "BeeJ" <nos...@spamnot.com> wrote:
> CCleaner
> works
> free
> has many other useful features too.

I have purchased Advanced Care Systems and I definitively recommend
it!!!!

Avi

mm

CCleaner or Advanced System Care (free).

"mp" <nospam@thanks.com> escribió en el mensaje
> Sorry for the OT but you folks are the only ones on the web I know I can
> trust. Went to CNET reviews and they were pushing some that users claimed
> had trojans and viruses... couse I don't know who the users were, maybe
> they were morons, but there were a lot of them.
> Appreciate any suggestions from the group
> Thanks, and sorry again for the OT
> Mark

Tony Toews

On Sat, 19 May 2012 15:20:52 +0100, MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Yes, but you ARE removing clutter from the registry. Those keys may be
>harmless, but they are unneccesarily taking up space.

Sure, a few kb. Ok, maybe a megabyte.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/ac...

Tony Toews

On Sat, 19 May 2012 10:19:12 -0400, "Mayayana"
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> I think they're still active, but they also tend to
>be populated by a lot of wiseacres looking for
>something to do. The answers you get will range
>from the very well-informed to the reckless rantings
>of blowhards.

And that's different from this newsgroup how? <smile> Especially
Karl P. <g, d & r>

Just kidding. The folks still here are a good set.

Tony

Ice Foot

On 5/19/2012 5:13 PM, Eduardo wrote:
> CCleaner or Advanced System Care (free).
>
> "mp"<nospam@thanks.com> escribió en el mensaje
>> Sorry for the OT but you folks are the only ones on the web I know I can
>> trust. Went to CNET reviews and they were pushing some that users claimed
>> had trojans and viruses... couse I don't know who the users were, maybe
>> they were morons, but there were a lot of them.
>> Appreciate any suggestions from the group
>> Thanks, and sorry again for the OT
>> Mark

Mayayana, MM, Tony, BeeJ, avi and Eduardo, thank you all for responding,
and sorry again for the ot

I didn't realize that cleaning the reg was so unproductive.
My old laptop finally died and had to buy a new comp. at first was much
faster than the old tank but soon slowed to a crawl (relatively) so
thought maybe I could clean out some junk that may have crept in.

Im pretty dumb system wise, will check the windows sites next time,
but I do have a trust issue except for here.

mark