microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Accessing website db - ADO or DAO?

GS

5/8/2012 12:43:00 AM

Hi folks,

I'm looking to use a website db from a VB6 app but seem to not be able
to figure out how. I'm okay with local db files, Excel files, and text
files but totally clueless how to pull data from a website. I really
want to stick with classic VB (and/or VBA)!<g>

Any advice/pointers will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance...

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-sep...
ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

6 Answers

unknown

"GS" <gs@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:jo9q6r$mf$1@dont-email.me...
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking to use a website db from a VB6 app but seem to not be able to
> figure out how. I'm okay with local db files, Excel files, and text files
> but totally clueless how to pull data from a website. I really want to
> stick with classic VB (and/or VBA)!<g>
>
> Any advice/pointers will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Not enough information. Is the website yours? What OS it's using? What DB
server are you using?

GS

Farnsworth formulated on Monday :
> "GS" <gs@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:jo9q6r$mf$1@dont-email.me...
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm looking to use a website db from a VB6 app but seem to not be able to
>> figure out how. I'm okay with local db files, Excel files, and text files
>> but totally clueless how to pull data from a website. I really want to
>> stick with classic VB (and/or VBA)!<g>
>>
>> Any advice/pointers will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance...
>
> Not enough information. Is the website yours? What OS it's using? What DB
> server are you using?

Thanks!
No, the website is not mine. I'll find out the other info and post
back...

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-sep...
ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

GS

Just to keep you informed...

I'm look at some documentation on the QueryTable object right now
because I haven't found anything else.

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-sep...
ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Ralph

On Mon, 07 May 2012 20:43:04 -0400, GS <gs@somewhere.net> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I'm looking to use a website db from a VB6 app but seem to not be able
>to figure out how. I'm okay with local db files, Excel files, and text
>files but totally clueless how to pull data from a website. I really
>want to stick with classic VB (and/or VBA)!<g>
>
>Any advice/pointers will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Farnsworth is correct we need more information.

But the platform or the internal Database used by the web site is
probably of no interest - rather we need to know what kind of data Web
Service it is providing, if any - Perhaps, you only need to strip an
exposed/rendered HTML table of its data?

In other words what mechanism/s are available - Likely to be either
SOAP, WDI, or even UDDI. Add HTTP, HTML, and XML to the mix, and if
any of those acronyms are unfamiliar - then you need to start doing
your homework. <g>

At this point ADO or DAO is of no interest. Those libraries might
enter the picture once the type of service is known, or just as likely
you might write your own access routines since you are using VB.

-ralph

GS

ralph explained :
> On Mon, 07 May 2012 20:43:04 -0400, GS <gs@somewhere.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm looking to use a website db from a VB6 app but seem to not be able
>> to figure out how. I'm okay with local db files, Excel files, and text
>> files but totally clueless how to pull data from a website. I really
>> want to stick with classic VB (and/or VBA)!<g>
>>
>> Any advice/pointers will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance...
>
> Farnsworth is correct we need more information.
>
> But the platform or the internal Database used by the web site is
> probably of no interest - rather we need to know what kind of data Web
> Service it is providing, if any - Perhaps, you only need to strip an
> exposed/rendered HTML table of its data?
>
> In other words what mechanism/s are available - Likely to be either
> SOAP, WDI, or even UDDI. Add HTTP, HTML, and XML to the mix, and if
> any of those acronyms are unfamiliar - then you need to start doing
> your homework. <g>
>
> At this point ADO or DAO is of no interest. Those libraries might
> enter the picture once the type of service is known, or just as likely
> you might write your own access routines since you are using VB.
>
> -ralph

Thanks, Ralph. I think you're right and I hope I can get the needed
info. I was able to google and find some classic VB to pull from a
remote MySQL db using ADODB and an IP address. The idea of writing my
own routine in VB is where I'd like to go, ultimately!

--

GS wrote on 5/7/2012 :
> Just to keep you informed...
>
> I'm look at some documentation on the QueryTable object right now because I
> haven't found anything else.

Nope! Not much available about how this works 'under-the-hood'. (The
QueryTable object is what Excel uses. It works but the 'magic' of that
isn't exposed to VB[A])