microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

How to detect whether SMO is installed?

n7dai

3/30/2007 4:47:00 PM

Hi, folks --

I am working on an install bootstrapper that (among other things)
will install Server Management Objects (SQLServer2005_XMO.msi from SQL
Server 2005 Feature Pack) iff it's not already installed.

So, how to detect programmatically whether or not it's already
installed?

What files/version/registry keys/usual suspects should I be looking
for?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-- Davidson

2 Answers

Kent Tegels

Hello n7dai@comcast.net,

I normally look for C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\SDK\Assemblies\Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo.dll.
I believe current-most is 9.0.3042.0.

Thanks!
Kent Tegels
DevelopMentor