microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

How to convert emails into data

Joel

3/30/2007 1:50:00 PM

Bonjour!

I would like to know if it is possible to have an application running on SQL
2005 that would wait for certain emails coming on it and than it would
convert it into a row in a table.
I want to create an application that people could send an email to the
server SQL and it would convert it as a Work Order.
Where can I look at this, books, online documentation?

Regards, Joe l:)
7 Answers

Norman Yuan

It is certaily possible and there are probably many ways to do it. I am not
sure is it doable inside SQL Server (even it is, it might be better to do it
outside SQL Server, after all, the main task is to checking and receiving
certain email, parsing and validating the data. Updating the database is
only the last and easiest step).

I have done a program doinig exactly this. I wrote a Windows service. It
monitors a designated email account on our Exchange server for inbound
emails. whenever a email is received, necessary validation is performed to
make sure the email with certain data attached is valid. Then the attached
data is retrieved and send to database.

You need to decide how the data goes with the email (attachment or in
email's body, its format...), you especially need to make sure the email is
validated strictly.

"Joel" <Joel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Bonjour!
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to have an application running on
> SQL
> 2005 that would wait for certain emails coming on it and than it would
> convert it into a row in a table.
> I want to create an application that people could send an email to the
> server SQL and it would convert it as a Work Order.
> Where can I look at this, books, online documentation?
>
> Regards, Joe l:)

The Weissman

fvicarel3@aol.com wrote:
>> Try Nero's image recorder...it should work just fine (of course, it
>> should also show you the lettered drive of the laptop's DVD drive too..)- Hide quoted text -
>
> Yeah, it should and it always has, buit it's not Where it used to let
> me choose between the image recorder and my DVD drive, it now only
> shows the image recorder as an aoption, and I cant burn using that.
>
> Frustarting, becuase I always loved Nero and foudn it easy to use.

That's not a Nero problem, that's a Windows problem. Windows is no
longer recognizing that you have a DVD burner installed. The thing to do
is to go to the Device Manager and see if the DVD burner is listed there
and what its status is. If it exists in the Device Manager, you can
right-click and uninstall it, reboot and let Windows re-detect it. If
that is successful, then Nero will find it too.

fvicarel3

On May 25, 3:29 pm, The Weissman <XsteveXwei...@comcast.net> wrote:
> fvicar...@aol.com wrote:
> >> Try Nero's image recorder...it should work just fine (of course, it
> >> should also show you the lettered drive of the laptop's DVD drive too...)- Hide quoted text -
>
> > Yeah, it should and it always has, buit it's not  Where it used to let
> > me choose between the image recorder and my DVD drive, it now only
> > shows the image recorder as an aoption, and I cant burn using that.
>
> > Frustarting, becuase I always loved Nero and foudn it easy to use.
>
> That's not a Nero problem, that's a Windows problem. Windows is no
> longer recognizing that you have a DVD burner installed. The thing to do
> is to go to the Device Manager and see if the DVD burner is listed there
> and what its status is. If it exists in the Device Manager, you can
> right-click and uninstall it, reboot and let Windows re-detect it. If
> that is successful, then Nero will find it too.

Excellent advice. Sadly, it didnt work. Windows said y DVD ram drive
was properly installed and in working order, but I went and
uninstalled it anyway, then rebooted. As you predicted, windows
recogized it as new hardware and installed it, then rported it
was ....yup, properly installed and in qworking order. But Nero still
wouldnt show it as an available drive.

Conundrum.

The Weissman

fvicarel3@aol.com wrote:
>>> Yeah, it should and it always has, buit it's not Where it used to let
>>> me choose between the image recorder and my DVD drive, it now only
>>> shows the image recorder as an aoption, and I cant burn using that.
>>> Frustarting, becuase I always loved Nero and foudn it easy to use.
>> That's not a Nero problem, that's a Windows problem. Windows is no
>> longer recognizing that you have a DVD burner installed. The thing to do
>> is to go to the Device Manager and see if the DVD burner is listed there
>> and what its status is. If it exists in the Device Manager, you can
>> right-click and uninstall it, reboot and let Windows re-detect it. If
>> that is successful, then Nero will find it too.
>
> Excellent advice. Sadly, it didnt work. Windows said y DVD ram drive
> was properly installed and in working order, but I went and
> uninstalled it anyway, then rebooted. As you predicted, windows
> recogized it as new hardware and installed it, then rported it
> was ....yup, properly installed and in qworking order. But Nero still
> wouldnt show it as an available drive.
>
> Conundrum.

Try this, just for shits and giggles: Install a different CD/DVD burning
package. CDBurnerXP is a nice one; and it's free.

http://cdburnerxp.se/downloa...

fvicarel3

On May 25, 5:51 pm, The Weissman <XsteveXwei...@comcast.net> wrote:
> fvicar...@aol.com wrote:
> >> That's not a Nero problem, that's a Windows problem. Windows is no
> >> longer recognizing that you have a DVD burner installed. The thing to do
> >> is to go to the Device Manager and see if the DVD burner is listed there
> >> and what its status is. If it exists in the Device Manager, you can
> >> right-click and uninstall it, reboot and let Windows re-detect it. If
> >> that is successful, then Nero will find it too.
>
> > Excellent advice.  Sadly, it didnt work.  Windows said y DVD ram drive
> > was properly installed and in working order, but I went and
> > uninstalled it anyway, then rebooted.  As you predicted, windows
> > recogized it as new hardware and installed it, then rported it
> > was ....yup, properly installed and in qworking order.  But Nero still
> > wouldnt show it as an available drive.
>
> > Conundrum.
>
> Try this, just for shits and giggles: Install a different CD/DVD burning
> package. CDBurnerXP is a nice one; and it's free.
>
> http://cdburnerxp.se/download... Hide quoted text -

You rock, again, toally great advice. But once it downloaded and
installed it told me I couldnt run it until I install a verion one of
the "versions of the .NET framework V2.0.55o257 ( iggve tose numbers
wrong). I think it told me to contact my administrator, but I don't
have one of those. I need some Kumg Pao with a lot of chili sauce
right about now.

Thank you for your efforts. Machines hate me. I think.

The Weissman

fvicarel3@aol.com wrote:
> On May 25, 5:51 pm, The Weissman <XsteveXwei...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> fvicar...@aol.com wrote:
>>> Excellent advice. Sadly, it didnt work. Windows said y DVD ram drive
>>> was properly installed and in working order, but I went and
>>> uninstalled it anyway, then rebooted. As you predicted, windows
>>> recogized it as new hardware and installed it, then rported it
>>> was ....yup, properly installed and in qworking order. But Nero still
>>> wouldnt show it as an available drive.
>>> Conundrum.
>> Try this, just for shits and giggles: Install a different CD/DVD burning
>> package. CDBurnerXP is a nice one; and it's free.
>>
>> http://cdburnerxp.se/download... Hide quoted text -

> You rock, again, toally great advice. But once it downloaded and
> installed it told me I couldnt run it until I install a verion one of
> the "versions of the .NET framework V2.0.55o257 ( iggve tose numbers
> wrong). I think it told me to contact my administrator, but I don't
> have one of those. I need some Kumg Pao with a lot of chili sauce
> right about now.
>
> Thank you for your efforts. Machines hate me. I think.

You do have an administrator. Look in the mirror, that's the guy.

Download and install this:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&disp...

Then try running CDBurnerXP.

fvicarel3

On May 25, 7:47 pm, The Weissman <XsteveXwei...@comcast.net> wrote:
> fvicar...@aol.com wrote:
> >> Try this, just for shits and giggles: Install a different CD/DVD burning
> >> package. CDBurnerXP is a nice one; and it's free.
>
> >>http://cdburnerxp.se/downloadsetu... quoted text -

> > You rock, again, toally great advice.  But once it downloaded and
> > installed it told me I couldnt run it until I install a verion one of
> > the "versions of the .NET framework V2.0.55o257 ( iggve tose numbers
> > wrong).  I think it told me to contact my administrator, but I don't
> > have one of those. I need some Kumg Pao with a lot of chili sauce
> > right about now.
>
> > Thank you for your efforts.  Machines hate me. I think.
>
> You do have an administrator. Look in the mirror, that's the guy.
>
> Download and install this:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=08......
>
> Then try running CDBurnerXP.- Hide quoted text -

well, that worked, I think. I could open BuirnerXP, but cannot attept
a burn right now, my wife needs her omputer and I need sleep. But
I"ll try tomorrow and I"m extremely grateful for the guidance and
advice.

After DLing and installing that last link from S< I did gert a screen
"highly reccomending" I DL the latest service packs, but did not do so
at the time because I needed to give up the machine to it's rightful
owner. HO important are those packs? It seems the reccomended
updates from MS are kinda of on the endless side of infinity.