tom taol

3/29/2007 7:28:00 PM

I need to decrypt a field but it has a "salt" field attached to it, How can
decrypted either the field or the "salt" field in the db?

I'm running sql 05.

I have a decryptor tool that is decrypting other fields from my table fine,
but one as a salt field that i need to decrypt

2 Answers

David Portas

On 29 Mar, 20:28, "Tom" <T...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I need to decrypt a field but it has a "salt" field attached to it, How can
> decrypted either the field or the "salt" field in the db?
>
> I'm running sql 05.
>
> I have a decryptor tool that is decrypting other fields from my table fine,
> but one as a salt field that i need to decrypt

Do you know the method for encrypting the column in the first place?

Salt is normally used in conjunction with hashing, not with
encryption. A hash is usually a one way function. You cannot "decrypt"
a hash.

--
David Portas, SQL Server MVP

Whenever possible please post enough code to reproduce your problem.
Including CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements usually helps.
State what version of SQL Server you are using and specify the content
of any error messages.

SQL Server Books Online:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/librar...(en-US,SQL.90).aspx
--

David Portas

On 29 Mar, 20:28, "Tom" <T...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I need to decrypt a field but it has a "salt" field attached to it, How can
> decrypted either the field or the "salt" field in the db?
>
> I'm running sql 05.
>
> I have a decryptor tool that is decrypting other fields from my table fine,
> but one as a salt field that i need to decrypt

> I need to decrypt a field but it has a "salt" field attached to it, How can
> decrypted either the field or the "salt" field in the db?

> I'm running sql 05.

Do you know the method for encrypting the column in the first place?

Salt is normally used in conjunction with hashing, not with
encryption. A hash is usually a one way function. You cannot
"decrypt"
a hash.

Take a look at the HashBytes function in Books Online.