tjsantabarbara

3/29/2007 5:00:00 PM

Hello,

Until recently I had no idea what Sequel Server was. I still know very
little as to how it works and why. However, I do know that it uses a heck of
a lot of ram. After installing Office 2007 I noticed that when Outlook is
open the sqlser.exe as seen in the Task Manager hoovers at around 900mb.
Right now my computer only Outlook open is idling at 1.60 gb. Is this normal?
What if anything can I do to reduce the memory usage? Is it the Business
Contact Manager that causes this?

Helpwith thanks.
Paul
1 Answer

Russell Fields

Paul,

SQL Server will use as much memory as it has use for, so it is typical for
it to be taking a lot of memory. It does have mechanisms to give back
memory when there is pressure from other applications.

You can also set minimum and maximum memory for the server, which can hurt
or help performance, depending on the overall server use. You can read in
the SQL BOL the topic, "Server Memory Options".

RLF