microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

Stored Procedures NOT appearing in SQL Server Management Studio

Mike

3/29/2007 3:10:00 AM

Hi. Please forgive me, but I'm still getting used SQL Server 2005. When I
create stored procedures under Databases-MyDatabase-Programmability-Stored
Procedures, parse-them and save them, they don't appear when I refresh the
Stored Procedures window! This is driving me insane. The .stored procedures
are being saved as .sql files, but they're not appearing in
Programming-Stored Procedures for my database. What is going on? I want to
see them :)!

Thanks all.
5 Answers

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Parsing does not create a stored procedure in your database, it just
verifies the syntax (though it will not catch some things due to the way
deferred name resolution sort of works).

Saving merely saves the physical file on your hard disk.

You need to EXECUTE the CREATE PROCEDURE script in order to apply the
procedure to your database.

This is the same way Query Analyzer worked. Saving always had to do with
the working file and not with the object stored in the database.

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

> Hi. Please forgive me, but I'm still getting used SQL Server 2005. When
> create stored procedures under Databases-MyDatabase-Programmability-Stored
> Procedures, parse-them and save them, they don't appear when I refresh the
> Stored Procedures window! This is driving me insane. The .stored
> procedures
> are being saved as .sql files, but they're not appearing in
> Programming-Stored Procedures for my database. What is going on? I want
> see them :)!
>
> Thanks all.

Dave Patrick

Actually you don't even need to save the SQL just execute it to create the
SP

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.c...

"Mike" wrote:
> Hi. Please forgive me, but I'm still getting used SQL Server 2005. When
> create stored procedures under Databases-MyDatabase-Programmability-Stored
> Procedures, parse-them and save them, they don't appear when I refresh the
> Stored Procedures window! This is driving me insane. The .stored
> procedures
> are being saved as .sql files, but they're not appearing in
> Programming-Stored Procedures for my database. What is going on? I want
> see them :)!
>
> Thanks all.

Mike

Thanks for explaining this. I appreciate it...
Mike

"Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]" wrote:

> Parsing does not create a stored procedure in your database, it just
> verifies the syntax (though it will not catch some things due to the way
> deferred name resolution sort of works).
>
> Saving merely saves the physical file on your hard disk.
>
> You need to EXECUTE the CREATE PROCEDURE script in order to apply the
> procedure to your database.
>
> This is the same way Query Analyzer worked. Saving always had to do with
> the working file and not with the object stored in the database.
>
> --
> Aaron Bertrand
> SQL Server MVP
> http://www.sq...
> http://www.aspfa...
>

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. Please forgive me, but I'm still getting used SQL Server 2005. When
> > create stored procedures under Databases-MyDatabase-Programmability-Stored
> > Procedures, parse-them and save them, they don't appear when I refresh the
> > Stored Procedures window! This is driving me insane. The .stored
> > procedures
> > are being saved as .sql files, but they're not appearing in
> > Programming-Stored Procedures for my database. What is going on? I want
> > see them :)!
> >
> > Thanks all.

Mike

got it - Thanks!

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Actually you don't even need to save the SQL just execute it to create the
> SP
>
> --
>
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.c...
>
> "Mike" wrote:
> > Hi. Please forgive me, but I'm still getting used SQL Server 2005. When
> > create stored procedures under Databases-MyDatabase-Programmability-Stored
> > Procedures, parse-them and save them, they don't appear when I refresh the
> > Stored Procedures window! This is driving me insane. The .stored
> > procedures
> > are being saved as .sql files, but they're not appearing in
> > Programming-Stored Procedures for my database. What is going on? I want
> > see them :)!
> >
> > Thanks all.

Dave Patrick

You're welcome.