zino

3/28/2007 9:40:00 PM

In sql server 2005 I have a table named "Clients",
CREATE TABLE Clients
(serviceCenter varchar(25),
CompanyName varchar (25), ... .... ..)

"ServiceCenter" contains different values (ex: NY, VA, NJ, ... ...)

is there a way I can create a schema and restrict its permission based on
the column's value.
ex: with 2 schemas : schema1, schema2

I need schema1 to view only records having "ServiceCenter"= 'NY'
and schema2 to view only records having "ServiceCenter"= 'VA','NJ'

thanks

2 Answers

ML

One word: "views".

Three bonus words: "in different schemas".

ML

---
http://milambda.blo...

stcheng

Hi Zino,

I also think using Views to separate those different recordset and put the
views in their corresponding schemas(according to access permission
requirement) should be a reasonable approach. For your case, you can easily
separte those record set into different views by filtering them on the
"ServiceCenter" field. How do you think of this?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead