ricky

3/28/2007 6:10:00 PM

I have limited SQL experience and just had a project fall on my lap. We have
an old legacy applicaton that is no longer supported by the vendor. What I'm
trying to do is build an app that allows our end users to do ad hoc queries
on the sql database. Can anyone point me in the right directions as how I
can determin what tables the data that I need is in?
1 Answer

TheSQLGuru

Open Enterprise Manager or Management Studio and navigate to the database
and view the list of tables. You can script them out to see their
definitions/field names/types. Then with the names you can do something
like:

SELECT TOP 100 * from table1 (NOLOCK)
SELECT TOP 100 * from table2 (NOLOCK)
etc

to see values from each and every table.

--
TheSQLGuru
President