microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

sample std dev versus actual std dev

Matt

3/28/2007 2:37:00 PM

n-1 is actually the correct way to do it if your data is a sample ... check an introductory stats text. the statistic 1/n * sum(sqd diff from mean) is a biased estimator of the variance ... it actually gives you n-1/n * sigma^2.

http://www.egghe...
3 Answers

EmmaPeachbuns

On May 22, 6:27 pm, Nutella <amongthebeliev...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I didn't mention it earlier because I didn't think anyone cared. But,
> when I was coming out of one of the suites at the DC show, Jeff
> "Skunk" Baxter walked right by me and went into the next suite over.
> Despite never having seen him in-person, it was very knowing.

Did you get a chance to say hello?

Nutella

On May 25, 11:56 am, Postal68 <oweny...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 22, 6:27 pm, Nutella <amongthebeliev...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I didn't mention it earlier because I didn't think anyone cared. But,
> > when I was coming out of one of the suites at the DC show, Jeff
> > "Skunk" Baxter walked right by me and went into the next suite over.
> > Despite never having seen him in-person, it was very knowing.
>
> Did you get a chance to say hello?

Yes. I waited for him afterwards. I asked him about his problems with
Michael McDonald in the late seventies. He said that he tried to
tell other members there was a train wreck headed for the band with
McDonald's blue-eyed soul crap, but no one would listen because
records were selling and Johston wasn't what he used to be. But, he
was pretty pissed about getting away from the guitar style the
Doobie's were known for. After that, he said that he and Harman
couldn't stomach is anymore, so they left. He mentioned that he might
as
well have gone off and played with Robbie DuPree than stayed with
McDonald. It was surreal for me. My wife was like, "how is it that
every time
we go to one of these things, you find someone's ear to bend? How do
you meet these people?" I was like, "How do you NOT know THE champion
of Rock and Roll....the anti-disco man himself?"

In my wife's defence, she's referring to during the Rising tour I ran
into Cerph and my wife ended up standing there listening to us
bullshitting about Bruce for an hour. Then there was the time during
Tunnel of Love outside the spectrum when I begged LaBamba for his
Stetson hat for a hour. And once outside the Chestnut Cabaret I
pestered Rusty Cloud on a freezing cold night while he was trying to
stuff his keyboard into a Volks Wagon Beetle. Oh, and once at
"Bleachers" in Philly, I bugged John Dibella by calling him The Zoo
Keeper all night long.

Nutella

On May 25, 11:56 am, Postal68 <oweny...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 22, 6:27 pm, Nutella <amongthebeliev...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I didn't mention it earlier because I didn't think anyone cared. But,
> > when I was coming out of one of the suites at the DC show, Jeff
> > "Skunk" Baxter walked right by me and went into the next suite over.
> > Despite never having seen him in-person, it was very knowing.
>
> Did you get a chance to say hello?

No. Once I met my hero, Mort Downey, Jr., I satisfied any urge to meet
any more celebrities.