microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

Service Broker connection

fireball

3/27/2007 5:49:00 PM

After I create ENDPOINT for SERVICE_BROKER, will I see port open for
listening (np via netstat)?

(Servis Broker is enabled on both databases, and so (I am able send and
receive messages using LOCAL route)).

sys.dm_broker_connections view is empty. When will I see any connection in
that view?

thx

10 Answers

Roger Wolter[MSFT]

Yes, you should see the endpoint listening on the port you specified in the
create endpoint command. Make sure both endpoints are listening and the
routes are in place in both databases. You will only see connections when a
message is being sent so if you are currently communicating there shouldn't
be anything in the connections view.

http://www.microsoft.com/info/cp...

"fireball" <fireball@onet.kropka.eu> wrote in message
> After I create ENDPOINT for SERVICE_BROKER, will I see port open for
> listening (np via netstat)?
>
> (Servis Broker is enabled on both databases, and so (I am able send and
> receive messages using LOCAL route)).
>

> sys.dm_broker_connections view is empty. When will I see any connection in
> that view?
>

> thx

fireball

Uzytkownik "Roger Wolter[MSFT]" <rwolter@online.microsoft.com> napisal w
wiadomosci
> You will only see connections when a message is being sent

i.e I will also see connection(s) if SB is retrying to send messages from
the queue to remote offline instance, right?

more questions:
- Is ServiceBroker queue bidirectional, or there is separate definition for
queue in and queue out?

- There goes, that 'messagetype must be the same on both databases' (the
same about contract) in some article. - is it supposed to mean also it's
names of objects should be the same?

Roger Wolter[MSFT]

Service Broker dialogs are bi-directional.

You won't see a connection if the remote server isn't there. This is an
ordinary TCP/IP connection so it times out and goes away if the remote port
isn't available. It will keep retrying but you won't see a connection in
the DMV until the connection has been established.

> Uzytkownik "Roger Wolter[MSFT]" <rwolter@online.microsoft.com> napisal w
> wiadomosci
>> You will only see connections when a message is being sent
>

> i.e I will also see connection(s) if SB is retrying to send messages from
> the queue to remote offline instance, right?
>
> more questions:
> - Is ServiceBroker queue bidirectional, or there is separate definition
> for queue in and queue out?
>
> - There goes, that 'messagetype must be the same on both databases' (the
> same about contract) in some article. - is it supposed to mean also it's
> names of objects should be the same?

fireball

Uzytkownik "Roger Wolter[MSFT]" <rwolter@online.microsoft.com> napisal w
wiadomosci
> Service Broker dialogs are bi-directional.

I meant weather queue (not conversation) is bidirectional. In other words -
will I be able to see both incoming and outgoing messages in single queue
defined? Is single service both sending and receiving service?

I'm completely newbie to SB, although I succeed sending and receiving
messages in single database via LOCAL, I failed testing it with two separate
databases (both on one SqlServer instance), so apparently I don't really
understand why my local conversation work fine :p

fireball

Uzytkownik "Roger Wolter[MSFT]" <rwolter@online.microsoft.com> napisal w
wiadomosci

> ordinary TCP/IP connection so it times out and goes away if the remote
> port
thx for details, it helps

I think I don't understand what actually is sys.conversation_endpoints view.
I have data in it, after I send message(s), but don't have any idea how to
test my connection from now.

If my connection is not working, why I cannot see my messages in queue after
I send it?

fireball

U¿ytkownik "fireball" <fireball@onet.kropka.eu> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci

> conversation_endpoints
I see conversation_endpoints contains just not closed conversations, right?

Roger Wolter[MSFT]

You only see received messages on a queue and service are defined only for
receiving messages. Sent messages may or may not appear temporarily on the
sys.transmission_queue for the database.

> Uzytkownik "Roger Wolter[MSFT]" <rwolter@online.microsoft.com> napisal w
> wiadomosci
>> Service Broker dialogs are bi-directional.
>
> I meant weather queue (not conversation) is bidirectional. In other
> words - will I be able to see both incoming and outgoing messages in
> single queue defined? Is single service both sending and receiving
> service?
>

> I'm completely newbie to SB, although I succeed sending and receiving
> messages in single database via LOCAL, I failed testing it with two
> separate databases (both on one SqlServer instance), so apparently I don't
> really understand why my local conversation work fine :p

fireball

Uzytkownik "Roger Wolter[MSFT]" <rwolter@online.microsoft.com> napisal w
wiadomosci

> You only see received messages on a queue and service are defined only for
> receiving messages. Sent messages may or may not appear temporarily on
> the sys.transmission_queue for the database.

sorry for being so difficult, please make me sure I understand:
my sent and not delivered messages (for example due to noreceiver avaliable
at the very moment) are not residing in the queue? So where they then are?

Roger Wolter[MSFT]

As I said, sent and not delivered messages are in the
sys.transmission_queue.

> Uzytkownik "Roger Wolter[MSFT]" <rwolter@online.microsoft.com> napisal w
> wiadomosci
>
>> You only see received messages on a queue and service are defined only
>> for receiving messages. Sent messages may or may not appear temporarily
>> on the sys.transmission_queue for the database.
>
> sorry for being so difficult, please make me sure I understand:
> my sent and not delivered messages (for example due to noreceiver
> avaliable at the very moment) are not residing in the queue? So where they
> then are?

gully

> No.  However, had it been Clinton, he would have sent in Sandy Berger to
> steal them.
>
> Bill Longyard

The rule is that when you bring up Clinton, you lose.

gully