unknown

3/26/2007 5:39:00 PM

SQL Server 2005 express. Two questions.....

1. What are default permissions of the owner of the schema with regard to
objects (tables, stored procedures belonging to particular schema)? Same
for database owner? Will the owner have all permissions by default or do i
need to explicity grant permission?

2. As a sysadmin (or as the owner of the certain database), will I be able
to recover keys used to encrypt certain data columns in a table even though
I did not create that key? If so how can I recover that key?

Thanks

1 Answer

Erland Sommarskog

JJ (nospam@nospam.com) writes:
> 1. What are default permissions of the owner of the schema with regard
> to objects (tables, stored procedures belonging to particular schema)?
> Same for database owner? Will the owner have all permissions by default
> or do i need to explicity grant permission?

Objects in crated in a schema are owned by the schema owner, even if the
create was someone else. Thus, the schema owner has full permissions on the
object. He can transfer ownership to some other user.

The database owner has CONTROL permission on all objects in the database.

> 2. As a sysadmin (or as the owner of the certain database), will I be
> able to recover keys used to encrypt certain data columns in a table
> even though I did not create that key? If so how can I recover that
> key?

If I understand it right, you will be able to use that key if it's
protected by the database master key, but it may be more difficult, if
the key is protected by a password.

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/...
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at