microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

Saving a COPY of SSIS Package to SQL Server

DickChristoph

3/25/2007 8:17:00 PM

Hi

I just installed Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition which includes SQL
Server 2005 Developer Edition on my home machine. I have updated my SQL 2005
Dev. Edition to SP2. I have also updated Visual Studio 2005. I got these
updates from the Windows Update site.

I am trying to Save a copy of an SSIS Package to SQL Server

I came across this article.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms1...

In Visual Studio on my Home PC, the File Menu does not include the option
described in this artcile as "On the File menu, click Save Copy of <package
file> As."

At work I have SQL Server Business Intelligence Design Studio installed on
my PC (as well as the other SQL Server 2005 Client Components). On this
machine I do see this option.

Any idea as to why this is?

TIA
--
-Dick Christoph

3 Answers

DickChristoph

Hi Again

I should perhaps add that My SQL 2005 Server is a named instance so I have

Turing2 - A SQL 2000 Server
Turing2\Turing2005 - My New SQL 2005 Server

I am leaving my Turing2 SQL server turned off. When I try to connect to
"(local)" I not surpisingly get a cannot connect message.

I wonder if the problem with SSIS is that it cannot detect my server
Turing2\Turing2005 as a SQL 2005 server and hence does not present me with
the Save Copy of <package file> As. option.

In general the various connect to database boxes cannot automatically detect
Turing2\Turing2005 as a possible choice as a SQL server to connect to,
although it will connect if I type in the name.

-Dick Christoph

"DickChristoph" <dchristo99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I just installed Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition which includes
> SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition on my home machine. I have updated my
> SQL 2005 Dev. Edition to SP2. I have also updated Visual Studio 2005. I
> got these updates from the Windows Update site.
>
> I am trying to Save a copy of an SSIS Package to SQL Server
>
> I came across this article.
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms1...
>
> In Visual Studio on my Home PC, the File Menu does not include the option
> described in this artcile as "On the File menu, click Save Copy of
> <package file> As."
>
> At work I have SQL Server Business Intelligence Design Studio installed on
> my PC (as well as the other SQL Server 2005 Client Components). On this
> machine I do see this option.
>
> Any idea as to why this is?
>
> TIA
> --
> -Dick Christoph

Brian Filppu

Dick,

Bare with me, I'm going off of the top of my head here. You should create
an installation file for your package - that might be easier and you'll have
the install for it incase you need to install or it or move it to another
server.

To do this, on your SSIS project, click Project, then your projects
properties (should be the last one on the list). Under
CreateDeploymentUtility, set it to True, make sure you note the deomployment
out put folder, should be bin\deployment I think. This will create a few
files in the Bin\Deployment folder for your project. I believe there will be
a mainifest file, which essentially is the install. Build your project and
this Deployment folder will be created. Go to it and double click on the
mainifest file and this brings up an installation program. You can eiter
install it to the file system or to sql server (msdb). Pick which one you
want and you are all set. Be sure to open another instance of managment
studio and connection to Integration Services. If you already have an
instance of it open,you'll need to refresh it to see your new pacakges. Good
luck

Brian

"DickChristoph" wrote:

> Hi Again
>
> I should perhaps add that My SQL 2005 Server is a named instance so I have
>
> Turing2 - A SQL 2000 Server
> Turing2\Turing2005 - My New SQL 2005 Server
>
> I am leaving my Turing2 SQL server turned off. When I try to connect to
> "(local)" I not surpisingly get a cannot connect message.
>
> I wonder if the problem with SSIS is that it cannot detect my server
> Turing2\Turing2005 as a SQL 2005 server and hence does not present me with
> the Save Copy of <package file> As. option.
>
> In general the various connect to database boxes cannot automatically detect
> Turing2\Turing2005 as a possible choice as a SQL server to connect to,
> although it will connect if I type in the name.
>
> -Dick Christoph
>
> "DickChristoph" <dchristo99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I just installed Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition which includes
> > SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition on my home machine. I have updated my
> > SQL 2005 Dev. Edition to SP2. I have also updated Visual Studio 2005. I
> > got these updates from the Windows Update site.
> >
> > I am trying to Save a copy of an SSIS Package to SQL Server
> >
> > I came across this article.
> >
> > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms1...
> >
> > In Visual Studio on my Home PC, the File Menu does not include the option
> > described in this artcile as "On the File menu, click Save Copy of
> > <package file> As."
> >
> > At work I have SQL Server Business Intelligence Design Studio installed on
> > my PC (as well as the other SQL Server 2005 Client Components). On this
> > machine I do see this option.
> >
> > Any idea as to why this is?
> >
> > TIA
> > --
> > -Dick Christoph

DickChristoph

Hi Brian

Thanks. I was able to figure out how to deploy the package using the method
you suggested. And I see the package now in mgmt studio (Actually I didn't
realize their was a browser for Integration Services, so thanks for that)

But I am still wondering why the "Save Copy of <package file> As. option."
is not shown in Visual Studio at Home but I can see it at work?

--
-Dick Christoph