Roy Goldhammer

3/25/2007 8:43:00 AM

Hello there

On the server i'm working with the ram size is close to 1.7 GB and the
server has 2GB ram.

No one is on the system right now. What i need to do to decrease the ram
size?

7 Answers

Tibor Karaszi

Have a look at

INF: SQL Server Memory Usage
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-...

http://www.mssqlserver.com/faq/troubleshooting-memo...

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/d...

"Roy Goldhammer" <roy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%230ZcXlrbHHA.4632@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Hello there
>
> On the server i'm working with the ram size is close to 1.7 GB and the
> server has 2GB ram.
>
> No one is on the system right now. What i need to do to decrease the ram
> size?

Jeje

SQL Server release memory if other applications ask for some memory.
else, SQL Server keep the memory.
to recover some memory you can simply restart the SQL service or change the
max memory option.

> Hello there
>
> On the server i'm working with the ram size is close to 1.7 GB and the
> server has 2GB ram.
>
> No one is on the system right now. What i need to do to decrease the ram
> size?

Roy Goldhammer

Thankes Jeje.

This is realy important.

Do summerize what i've been told is:
If sql require large memory at some point he will get it. and if after that
point it dont need the entire memory it will still show that it use it but
it not. and will let other applications to use it.

If that so. How can i know on any point how mutch sql server use memory?

"Jeje" <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> SQL Server release memory if other applications ask for some memory.
> else, SQL Server keep the memory.
> to recover some memory you can simply restart the SQL service or change
> the max memory option.
>
> "Roy Goldhammer" <roy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello there
>>
>> On the server i'm working with the ram size is close to 1.7 GB and the
>> server has 2GB ram.
>>
>> No one is on the system right now. What i need to do to decrease the ram
>> size?

Tibor Karaszi

SQL Server still uses the memory. But is some other application need memory, then SQL Server will be
notified by Windows and will reduce the amount if memory it uses.

--
http://www.solidqualitylea...

"Roy Goldhammer" <roy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%230sg1Y3bHHA.4832@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Thankes Jeje.
>
> This is realy important.
>
> Do summerize what i've been told is:
> If sql require large memory at some point he will get it. and if after that point it dont need the
> entire memory it will still show that it use it but it not. and will let other applications to use
> it.
>
> If that so. How can i know on any point how mutch sql server use memory?
>
> "Jeje" <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23%239L3eubHHA.5044@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> SQL Server release memory if other applications ask for some memory.
>> else, SQL Server keep the memory.
>> to recover some memory you can simply restart the SQL service or change the max memory option.
>>
>> "Roy Goldhammer" <roy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#0ZcXlrbHHA.4632@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>> Hello there
>>>
>>> On the server i'm working with the ram size is close to 1.7 GB and the server has 2GB ram.
>>>
>>> No one is on the system right now. What i need to do to decrease the ram size?

Jeje

if you control when and when you don't need memory
you can use the sp_configure stored procedure to setup the max memory
option
for example,
before your big batch, use sp_configure to setup the max memory to a "big"
value, when the batch is over, use again the procedure to reduce the max
memory option.

if you don't know when the memory is required, let windows and SQL control
the memory usage.

> Thankes Jeje.
>
> This is realy important.
>
> Do summerize what i've been told is:
> If sql require large memory at some point he will get it. and if after
> that point it dont need the entire memory it will still show that it use
> it but it not. and will let other applications to use it.
>
> If that so. How can i know on any point how mutch sql server use memory?
>
> "Jeje" <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> SQL Server release memory if other applications ask for some memory.
>> else, SQL Server keep the memory.
>> to recover some memory you can simply restart the SQL service or change
>> the max memory option.
>>
>> "Roy Goldhammer" <roy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello there
>>>
>>> On the server i'm working with the ram size is close to 1.7 GB and the
>>> server has 2GB ram.
>>>
>>> No one is on the system right now. What i need to do to decrease the ram
>>> size?

Roy Goldhammer

Whell Jeje

I need to know the amout of memory the sql server require on any time to
exam some things i would like to check.

For example: i got some document that explain how mutch memory cost when i
open table with simple select * sentence.

I have application on access that connect to sql server database. and in the
application all the tables are declered on access. so my theory is that any
applicain of access that opened increase the memory size.

I need to confirm this theory in order to convince my client to reduce the
amout of tables connected to sql server and use store procedures instead.

for this i need to know on each time how mutch sql requires any time

> if you control when and when you don't need memory
> you can use the sp_configure stored procedure to setup the max memory
> option
> for example,
> before your big batch, use sp_configure to setup the max memory to a "big"
> value, when the batch is over, use again the procedure to reduce the max
> memory option.
>
> if you don't know when the memory is required, let windows and SQL control
> the memory usage.
>

> "Roy Goldhammer" <roy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thankes Jeje.
>>
>> This is realy important.
>>
>> Do summerize what i've been told is:
>> If sql require large memory at some point he will get it. and if after
>> that point it dont need the entire memory it will still show that it use
>> it but it not. and will let other applications to use it.
>>
>> If that so. How can i know on any point how mutch sql server use memory?
>>
>> "Jeje" <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> SQL Server release memory if other applications ask for some memory.
>>> else, SQL Server keep the memory.
>>> to recover some memory you can simply restart the SQL service or change
>>> the max memory option.
>>>
>>> "Roy Goldhammer" <roy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jeje

wow... its another problem!
there is no relationship between the number of tables and the memory usage.
and its not an argument for you to use SP instead of direct SQL statements.
in fact, SP could consume more memory than direct statements, because SQL
server keep the execution plan of a SP in memory + the cache of the loaded
tables, but this produce a better performance because the SP is already
compiled in memory, so following accesses to the same SP results in better
performance.

SQL Server has a good memory management system and release old cache content
when there is some memory pressure. so don't try to do something here.

but before starting changing something, do you suffer performance issues?
what is the price of the memory compared to the price of developing
something?