microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

Dynamic TODOs in VS2005 SQL files

Myron

3/24/2007 2:49:00 PM

Hi all,

I'm using VS2005 for DB Professionals, and in my project I've got a
SQL file in which I want to add a task that will be shown in the
Pending Changes list.

1. Is that the right place that it will show up? (Is this the same as
the "Task List"? Help mentions View:Other Windows:Task List, but I
don't have that...)

2. The help files tells how to create dynamic to-do's for C$, VB, C++,
by using "//TODO:" but not for SQL files. (I've tried --TODO: but it
doesn't seem to work.) Can this be done? Is there any reference that
tells how?

Thanks!

Myron

1 Answer

Cowboy

This is not supported in the current state of the product, but should be
suggested by as many people as possible. :-)

If you change paradigms in thinking and can get the VS Team System for
Database Pros, you can do certain things to indicate which files have TODOs
in them. It is not the same a Visual Studio //TODO:, which automatically
show up on TODO lists, but it works nicely. You have to adopt more Agile
approaches to database versioning, however.

Team System, itself, gives you work items, but they will not auto track and
you will have to make your own work items.

You can set up queries in SQL Server to search for TODOs in your objects,
which will at least identify the objects in question, but will not give a
task list.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA