CLM

3/23/2007 4:18:00 PM

I got an interesting email this morning from a manager:

"How many concurrent connections can SQL Server allow? Iâ??m asking because
we are trying to determine our concurrent users threshold. Let me know if
you have any questions. Thanks."

Isn't it true that if you have any reasonable amount of RAM, you can have
thousands of connections, i.e. unless you're EBAY, connections won't be an
issue. What is much more an issue is ramping up those connections with a
load profile and seeing how the server can handle that? Anyway, please let
me know if there is some lower rule-of-thumb limit on connections.
1 Answer

Tom Cooper

32,767
Of course, each connection in use takes about 28KB, so your realistic
maximum might be less. For more info, search on user connections in BOL.

Tom