microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

The database could not be exclusively locked to perform the operation.

Lee

3/23/2007 2:43:00 PM

Hi

I need to update the collation on a database but its returning 'The
database could not be exclusively locked to perform the operation.'

How can lock the database so that I can make the change?

thanks
Lee

3 Answers

Tibor Karaszi

Just make sure that on-one is connected to the database (including you).

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/d...

"Lee" <lee@digital-interactive.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I need to update the collation on a database but its returning 'The
> database could not be exclusively locked to perform the operation.'
>
> How can lock the database so that I can make the change?
>
> thanks
> Lee

Lee

emm, can I force close any connections via SQL?

Tibor Karaszi

You have two options.

One is that some ALTER DATABASE commands can be complimented with a ROLLBACK option, like:
ALTER DATABASE db SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

The other is the KILL command.