MUKUT

3/23/2007 12:15:00 PM

Hi All,

We have a table called S_USER which is having a column named
LOGIN.This table contain Logins for more than 1000 users.

Now, after creating LOGINs & USERs we need to give SSE_ROLE to those
LOGINs. We wrote the below query for generating the sql for all those
logins(so that we can execute it by copy & past it in query analyzer).

select 'sp_addrolemember SSE_ROLE,' + LOGIN
from S_USER

OUTPUT:
sp_addrolemember SSE_ROLE,ARTISIEA
sp_addrolemember SSE_ROLE,AWADE
sp_addrolemember SSE_ROLE,BALBEURS
sp_addrolemember SSE_ROLE,BALTHAZC
------------------------------------
------------------------------------

after copy this resultset & paste it in query analyzer, when we ran it
we got the below error:

Incorrect syntax near 'sp_addrolemember'.

We found that 'Go' is missing between two lines.

Would you please help us to write a query so that output will be like
this:

sp_addrolemember SSE_ROLE,ARTISIEA
go
sp_addrolemember SSE_ROLE,AWADE
go
sp_addrolemember SSE_ROLE,BALBEURS
go
sp_addrolemember SSE_ROLE,BALTHAZC
go

Apology for any mistake or inconvenience in understanding the above
issue.

Thanks,
Mukut

1 Answer

Tom Moreau

Try either one of the following:

-- 1
select 'EXEC sp_addrolemember SSE_ROLE,' + LOGIN
from S_USER

-- 2

select 'sp_addrolemember SSE_ROLE,' + LOGIN + CHAR (13) + CHAR (10) + 'GO' +
CHAR (13) + CHAR (10)
from S_USER

--
Tom

Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA, MCITP, MCTS
SQL Server MVP
Toronto, ON Canada
.