Roy Goldhammer

3/22/2007 2:56:00 PM

Hello there

I've run very complex query on sql server, and in some of the huge tables
there aren't any indexes, including primary key.

This cause failure of my query on error: Process 81 become deaclock

How missing of indexes could cause deadlock?

6 Answers

Russell Fields

Roy,

Useful indexes help your complex query to hold fewer locks on the tables,
which it must scan otherwise. They are no guarantee of avoiding deadlocks,
but by reducing locks they narrow the oppotunity for a deadlock.

However, there are many more things to try. In the SQL Books Online, look
for the topic "Minimizing Deadlocks". If you are using SQL 2005 you have
additional options (including TRY ... CATCH) to handle deadlock issues.

RLF
"Roy Goldhammer" <roy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello there
>
> I've run very complex query on sql server, and in some of the huge tables
> there aren't any indexes, including primary key.
>
> This cause failure of my query on error: Process 81 become deaclock
>
> How missing of indexes could cause deadlock?

Roy Goldhammer

Whell Russell:

I'm using sql server 2000

And i can't add more indexes to the database because the amout of ram now is
1.76 GB in standard edition that can use only 2GB.

So in this limitations what can i do?

"Russell Fields" <russellfields@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Roy,
>
> Useful indexes help your complex query to hold fewer locks on the tables,
> which it must scan otherwise. They are no guarantee of avoiding
> deadlocks, but by reducing locks they narrow the oppotunity for a
> deadlock.
>
> However, there are many more things to try. In the SQL Books Online, look
> for the topic "Minimizing Deadlocks". If you are using SQL 2005 you have
> additional options (including TRY ... CATCH) to handle deadlock issues.
>

> RLF
> "Roy Goldhammer" <roy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello there
>>
>> I've run very complex query on sql server, and in some of the huge tables
>> there aren't any indexes, including primary key.
>>
>> This cause failure of my query on error: Process 81 become deaclock
>>
>> How missing of indexes could cause deadlock?

Tibor Karaszi

> And i can't add more indexes to the database because the amout of ram now is 1.76 GB in standard
> edition that can use only 2GB.

The amount of RAM that SE supports has nothing (very little) to do with how large databases you can
have. In fact, by having proper indexes, SQL will have to read *less* data to find the rows you are
after and will *reduce* amount of RAM needed.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/d...

"Roy Goldhammer" <roy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e3QPWVJbHHA.5044@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Whell Russell:
>
> I'm using sql server 2000
>
> And i can't add more indexes to the database because the amout of ram now is 1.76 GB in standard
> edition that can use only 2GB.
>
> So in this limitations what can i do?
>
> "Russell Fields" <russellfields@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Roy,
>>
>> Useful indexes help your complex query to hold fewer locks on the tables, which it must scan
>> otherwise. They are no guarantee of avoiding deadlocks, but by reducing locks they narrow the
>> oppotunity for a deadlock.
>>
>> However, there are many more things to try. In the SQL Books Online, look for the topic
>> "Minimizing Deadlocks". If you are using SQL 2005 you have additional options (including TRY ...
>> CATCH) to handle deadlock issues.
>>

>> RLF
>> "Roy Goldhammer" <roy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u8l67HJbHHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>> Hello there
>>>
>>> I've run very complex query on sql server, and in some of the huge tables there aren't any
>>> indexes, including primary key.
>>>
>>> This cause failure of my query on error: Process 81 become deaclock
>>>
>>> How missing of indexes could cause deadlock?

Roy Goldhammer

Thankes Tibor.

This is good issue.

Where can i find offical document that support this metter?

"Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi@hotmail.nomail.com> wrote in
message news:OdIXHjJbHHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> And i can't add more indexes to the database because the amout of ram now
>> is 1.76 GB in standard edition that can use only 2GB.
>
> The amount of RAM that SE supports has nothing (very little) to do with
> how large databases you can have. In fact, by having proper indexes, SQL
> will have to read *less* data to find the rows you are after and will
> *reduce* amount of RAM needed.
>
> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/d...
> http://www.solidqualitylea...
>

> "Roy Goldhammer" <roy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Whell Russell:
>>
>> I'm using sql server 2000
>>
>> And i can't add more indexes to the database because the amout of ram now
>> is 1.76 GB in standard edition that can use only 2GB.
>>
>> So in this limitations what can i do?
>>
>> "Russell Fields" <russellfields@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Roy,
>>>
>>> Useful indexes help your complex query to hold fewer locks on the
>>> tables, which it must scan otherwise. They are no guarantee of avoiding
>>> deadlocks, but by reducing locks they narrow the oppotunity for a
>>> deadlock.
>>>
>>> However, there are many more things to try. In the SQL Books Online,
>>> look for the topic "Minimizing Deadlocks". If you are using SQL 2005
>>> you have additional options (including TRY ... CATCH) to handle deadlock
>>> issues.
>>>

>>> RLF
>>> "Roy Goldhammer" <roy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Tibor Karaszi

Books Online is a good start, for instance the "Physical Database Architecture" section.

--
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tib...

"Roy Goldhammer" <roy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23ErtA%23qbHHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Thankes Tibor.
>
> This is good issue.
>
> Where can i find offical document that support this metter?
>
> "Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi@hotmail.nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> And i can't add more indexes to the database because the amout of ram now is 1.76 GB in standard
>>> edition that can use only 2GB.
>>
>> The amount of RAM that SE supports has nothing (very little) to do with how large databases you
>> can have. In fact, by having proper indexes, SQL will have to read *less* data to find the rows
>> you are after and will *reduce* amount of RAM needed.
>>
>> --
>> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
>> http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/d...
>> http://www.solidqualitylea...
>>

>> "Roy Goldhammer" <roy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e3QPWVJbHHA.5044@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> Whell Russell:
>>>
>>> I'm using sql server 2000
>>>
>>> And i can't add more indexes to the database because the amout of ram now is 1.76 GB in standard
>>> edition that can use only 2GB.
>>>
>>> So in this limitations what can i do?
>>>
>>> "Russell Fields" <russellfields@nomail.com> wrote in message

Johanna Gronlund

Thanks, this was very useful and worked.

Johanna