microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

SQL SERVER 2005 BCP question

dwopffl

3/21/2007 7:33:00 PM

Stumped???

We are running SQL SERVER 2005, SP2.

We are trying to bcp a small amount of rows (40,000) into our DB.

When we run the bcp command by typing it directly into Server Studio,
it run w/o an issue.
Again, just 40, 000 rows.

When we try to run it through our application (this is the way that is
needs to run), it connects using an OLE DB connection. It fails with
a transaction log full error??? We've increased the transaction log
and it's set to autogrow, but it really shouldn't matter b/c of the
small volume of data...right?

Any ideas?

3 Answers

=== Steve L ===

On Mar 21, 12:33 pm, dwop...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Stumped???
>
> We are running SQL SERVER 2005, SP2.
>
> We are trying to bcp a small amount of rows (40,000) into our DB.
>
> When we run the bcp command by typing it directly into Server Studio,
> it run w/o an issue.
> Again, just 40, 000 rows.
>
> When we try to run it through our application (this is the way that is
> needs to run), it connects using an OLE DB connection. It fails with
> a transaction log full error??? We've increased the transaction log
> and it's set to autogrow, but it really shouldn't matter b/c of the
> small volume of data...right?
>
> Any ideas?

it might be helpful if you post the command was used.
true BCP process (if it meets all criteria) is not a logged operation,
if you encountered transaction log full error, maybe it's not running
as a true BCP operation.

Liyasker Samraj

Hi

I also had an experience with the same. If you run BCP with in Transaction
then avoid this. Before Executing BCp Commit the transaction.
Now it will work.
[replay to me]
Thanks
sam K

"=== Steve L ===" wrote:

> On Mar 21, 12:33 pm, dwop...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Stumped???
> >
> > We are running SQL SERVER 2005, SP2.
> >
> > We are trying to bcp a small amount of rows (40,000) into our DB.
> >
> > When we run the bcp command by typing it directly into Server Studio,
> > it run w/o an issue.
> > Again, just 40, 000 rows.
> >
> > When we try to run it through our application (this is the way that is
> > needs to run), it connects using an OLE DB connection. It fails with
> > a transaction log full error??? We've increased the transaction log
> > and it's set to autogrow, but it really shouldn't matter b/c of the
> > small volume of data...right?
> >
> > Any ideas?
>

> it might be helpful if you post the command was used.
> true BCP process (if it meets all criteria) is not a logged operation,
> if you encountered transaction log full error, maybe it's not running
> as a true BCP operation.

dwopffl

On Mar 22, 6:57 am, Liyasker Samraj
<LiyaskerSam...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I also had an experience with the same. If you runBCPwith in Transaction
> then avoid this. Before ExecutingBCpCommit the transaction.
> Now it will work.
> [replay to me]
> Thanks
> sam K
>
> "=== Steve L ===" wrote:
>

> > On Mar 21, 12:33 pm, dwop...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > Stumped???
>
> > > We are runningSQLSERVER 2005, SP2.
>
> > > We are trying tobcpa small amount of rows (40,000) into our DB.
>
> > > When we run thebcpcommand by typing it directly into Server Studio,
> > > it run w/o an issue.
> > > Again, just 40, 000 rows.
>
> > > When we try to run it through our application (this is the way that is
> > > needs to run), it connects using an OLE DB connection. It fails with
> > > a transaction log full error??? We've increased the transaction log
> > > and it's set to autogrow, but it really shouldn't matter b/c of the
> > > small volume of data...right?
>
> > > Any ideas?
>
> > it might be helpful if you post the command was used.
> > trueBCPprocess (if it meets all criteria) is not a logged operation,
> > if you encountered transaction log full error, maybe it's not running
> > as a trueBCPoperation.- Hide quoted text -

We are also getting this when we use DTS to copy tables...Is this
still a commit issue?