CLM

3/21/2007 4:34:00 PM

I've got a 2000 server (SP4) with a Page Life Expectancy that often dips
below 300. Is this truly a problem, i.e. does this mean I need more RAM?

I guess what I'm asking is if there are "legitimate" reasons - admittedly I
can't think of any - that would explain Page Life Expectancy < 300?
2 Answers

Greg Linwood

Dipping below 300 occassionally probably doesn't by itself indicate a
significant problem. Extended periods of time below 300 probably does
indicate a problem.

PLE is an excellent general purpose indicator of buffered memory health, but
you should remember that resource tuning is secondary in importance to query
/ index tuning. If queries are running inefficiently, they can easily
consume massive amounts of memory so it's crucial to ensure you don't have
problems in this area first. Tracing & index analysis are the keys in this
area. Once you're happy in this department, then make sure you've got your
hardware resources such as memory, cpu & disk sized right.

HTH

Regards,
Greg Linwood
SQL Server MVP
http://blogs.sqlserver.org.au/blogs/gr...

"CLM" <CLM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got a 2000 server (SP4) with a Page Life Expectancy that often dips
> below 300. Is this truly a problem, i.e. does this mean I need more RAM?
>
> I guess what I'm asking is if there are "legitimate" reasons - admittedly
> can't think of any - that would explain Page Life Expectancy < 300?

CLM

I have done a lot of Profiler work and there are not the typical problem
queries that you see. However, there are apps that bombard the server with
cursor select queries. I am going to actually post a question about that
later this morning...Thx for the advice.