microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

Select Item - item Detail with twist

ZeroBase0

3/20/2007 7:17:00 PM

Hello

I have an item table and a detail table that I would like to join.

Table1
ItemId Subject Type
---------------------------------------
1 Item001 5
2 Item002 8
Table2
DetailId ItemId DetailName DetailValue
1 1 Name Name1
2 1 Manager Bob
3 2 Name Name2
4 2 Manager Frank
5 2 Region North

I would like a sql statement to give me this

ItemId Subject Type Name Manager Region
1 Item001 5 Name1 Bob
2 Item002 8 Name2 Frank North

Also we add details dynamically to Table2, so I the sql needs to be
able to handle that as well.

5 Answers

Hugo Kornelis

On 20 Mar 2007 12:17:13 -0700, ZeroBase0 wrote:

>Hello
>
>I have an item table and a detail table that I would like to join.
>
>Table1
> ItemId Subject Type
>---------------------------------------
> 1 Item001 5
> 2 Item002 8
>Table2
> DetailId ItemId DetailName DetailValue
> 1 1 Name Name1
> 2 1 Manager Bob
> 3 2 Name Name2
> 4 2 Manager Frank
> 5 2 Region North
>
>I would like a sql statement to give me this
>
>ItemId Subject Type Name Manager Region
>1 Item001 5 Name1 Bob
>2 Item002 8 Name2 Frank North

Hi ZeroBase0,

SELECT i.ItemID, i.Subject, i.Type,
MAX(CASE WHEN d.DetailName = 'Name' THEN d.DetailValue ELSE
'' END) AS [Name],
MAX(CASE WHEN d.DetailName = 'Manager' THEN d.DetailValue
ELSE '' END) AS [Manager],
MAX(CASE WHEN d.DetailName = 'Region' THEN d.DetailValue ELSE
'' END) AS [Region]
FROM Table1 AS i
INNER JOIN Table2 AS d
ON d.ItemID = i.ItemID
GROUP BY i.ItemID, i.Subject, i.Type;

>Also we add details dynamically to Table2, so I the sql needs to be
>able to handle that as well.

In that case, you'll have to use either dynamic SQL, with all the risks
involved with that, or a third party product. You might want to
investigate Rac4SQL, which claims to be able to do this.

--
Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
My SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hug...

xenu1130

On Apr 3, 12:01 pm, phil scott <p...@philscott.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > enturbulation that said he felt anonymous was "still an Internet hate
> > machine, just that it had refocused its hate" in the middle of some
> > quite believable rant against scientology. I was going to respond but
> > then I thought no, "Subtle troll is subtle". Translation: could be a
> > scientologist plant, might not be one, might just be a jerk, can't say
> > for sure so best leave it be because the argument serves their purpose
> > regardless.
>
> > As for communication some does fly over my head, perhaps because I am
> > 45+ years old but I can live with it. There are however several sites
> > and forums now, with a range of styles catering to a wide range of
> > audiences and all it needs is a bit of cross posting which appears to
> > happen anyway. So ok, enturbulation is not for you, well stay in ARS
> > and read the feed and others will read ARS and feed back to
> > enturbulation.
>
> > The fact is that aside from the scientologists who sign up to all our
> > forums with fake accounts and try to throw us off course, we all
> > basically want the same thing. We do what we can in our way and if we
> > can help out others in our group we do so; the more people we have the
> > more resources and the more chance of people being able to help. There
> > can be no doubt about it the anonymous phenomenon has been one hell of
> > a shot in the arm; to be honest I was on the sidelines lurking around
> > xenu.net for more than a year, I think a lot were, and it was only
> > after the Feb 10th that I came on board properly. (Goodness knows I
> > didn't expect the Feb 10th protests to pan out but they did).
>
> > We all have to try and understand each other but I believe us older
> > ones, with more experience, should make more of an effort to
> > understand our offspring; they are after all "just kids" :-) Tolerance
> > and understanding - both ways -, and occasionally biting your lip,
> > that's how it gets done.
>
> > As to those who have "NEVER BEEN ON THE INTERNET BEFORE", well someone
> > is just going to have to speak to them; such things are simply not for
> > everyone and it is a fools errand trying to make that so, not to
> > mention a distraction to the true fight.
>
> > Divisive argument is what the scientologists wants. This is not to be
> > confused with discussion and debate, such as happens in enturbulation,
> > when ideas are floated and are either sunk or lifted in to the air; it
> > is often harsh but that is simply how it works with them y'ung uns.
> > The scientologists plants only advantage will be knowing what is said
> > unless we give them the advantage of letting them throw us of course
> > by allowing them to foster true divisions.
>
> > Now, I have another anti-scientology video to produce to help rally
> > the folks on YouTube to the April 12th protest / raid so you will
> > forgive me but I have said my piece on this; email me with counter
> > arguements and I will ignore it because I am too busy fighting the

I received this email from someone that came through a proxy webiste
service in Austria.....This is the kind of thing that makes me sad....

"God...

You don't even have to put your name in your whiny little faggot posts
on ARS. Clearly, you are the same retard that went by XXXX on Enturb.

It's funny. You put up one stupid post after another, and when
(clearly) it doesn't gain popular support -- you cry like a fucking
baby
instead of just moving on to a new idea.

And after you've done this a dozen times or so, your posts mainly wind
up in THUNDERDOME... where they belong... and you cry some more. Wah
wah wah wah wah.

Do you learn?

Fuck no.

YOU RUN OVER TO A.R.S. AND OCMB TO CRY SOME MORE ABOUT THE SAME SHIT.

You are clearly one of the dumbest motherfuckers I've ever seen on the
Internet.

I'm 52... have no problem whatsoever "understanding" Enturb, its
language and its culture.

If you think there needs to be an "old folks" site -- shut your
fucking
whiny bitch hole AND MAKE ONE YOURSELF. Quit spreading your faggotry
all over the place. Have you noticed nobody gives a fuck yet?

95% of what you do is bitching about what you think other people
should
do... or bitching about how nobody takes your ideas seriously. Do you
know why that is? It's because the 5% of the time you spend coming up
with "new" ideas instead of bitching, THE IDEAS SUCK.

You had one successful thread on Enturb -- and that was because you
cut-and-pasted some info there you FOUND here on ARS... then a LOT OF
OTHER PEOPLE DID A LOT OF HARD WORK. And you had the fucking nerve to
cite THEIR work as an example of YOUR validity? You didn't contribute
jack-shit to that thread except for the 5 seconds it took you to
cut-and-paste. Wow. Big contribution.

Fuck you. We don't need whimpering bitches in this fight. "

I just don't see a 52 year old person with this much
anger........WoW!!!

phil scott

On Apr 3, 8:49 pm, xenu1...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> all over the place.  Have you noticed nobody gives a fuck yet?
>
> 95% of what you do is bitching about what you think other people
> should
> do... or bitching about how nobody takes your ideas seriously.  Do you
> know why that is?  It's because the 5% of the time you spend coming up
> with "new" ideas instead of bitching, THE IDEAS SUCK.
>
> You had one successful thread on Enturb -- and that was because you
> cut-and-pasted some info there you FOUND here on ARS... then a LOT OF
> OTHER PEOPLE DID A LOT OF HARD WORK.  And you had the fucking nerve to
> cite THEIR work as an example of YOUR validity?  You didn't contribute
> jack-shit to that thread except for the 5 seconds it took you to
> cut-and-paste.  Wow.  Big contribution.
>
> Fuck you.  We don't need whimpering bitches in this fight.  "
>
> I just don't see a 52 year old person with this much

not anger.... a hose job.

xenu1130

On Apr 3, 9:52 pm, phil scott <p...@philscott.net> wrote:
> On Apr 3, 8:49 pm, xenu1...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > well said bud.
>
> > > Phil scott- Hide quoted text -

> > I received this email from someone that came through a proxy webiste
> > service in Austria.....This is the kind of thing that makes me sad....
>
> >                          "God...
>
> > You don't even have to put your name in your whiny little faggot posts
> > on ARS.  Clearly, you are the same retard that went by XXXX on Enturb.
>
> > It's funny.  You put up one stupid post after another, and when
> > (clearly) it doesn't gain popular support -- you cry like a fucking
> > baby
> > instead of just moving on to a new idea.
>
> > And after you've done this a dozen times or so, your posts mainly wind
> > up in THUNDERDOME... where they belong... and you cry some more.  Wah
> > wah wah wah wah.
>
> > Do you learn?
>
> > Fuck no.
>
> > YOU RUN OVER TO A.R.S. AND OCMB TO CRY SOME MORE ABOUT THE SAME SHIT.
>
> > You are clearly one of the dumbest motherfuckers I've ever seen on the
> > Internet.
>
> > I'm 52... have no problem whatsoever "understanding" Enturb, its
> > language and its culture.
>
> > If you think there needs to be an "old folks" site -- shut your
> > fucking
> > whiny bitch hole AND MAKE ONE YOURSELF.  Quit spreading your faggotry
> > all over the place.  Have you noticed nobody gives a fuck yet?
>
> > 95% of what you do is bitching about what you think other people
> > should
> > do... or bitching about how nobody takes your ideas seriously.  Do you
> > know why that is?  It's because the 5% of the time you spend coming up
> > with "new" ideas instead of bitching, THE IDEAS SUCK.
>
> > You had one successful thread on Enturb -- and that was because you
> > cut-and-pasted some info there you FOUND here on ARS... then a LOT OF
> > OTHER PEOPLE DID A LOT OF HARD WORK.  And you had the fucking nerve to
> > cite THEIR work as an example of YOUR validity?  You didn't contribute
> > jack-shit to that thread except for the 5 seconds it took you to
> > cut-and-paste.  Wow.  Big contribution.
>
> > Fuck you.  We don't need whimpering bitches in this fight.  "
>
> > I just don't see a 52 year old person with this much
> > anger........WoW!!!- Hide quoted text -

> not anger.... a hose job.- Hide quoted text -

by whom? Not me I hope....

barb

xenu1130@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> all over the place. Have you noticed nobody gives a fuck yet?
>
> 95% of what you do is bitching about what you think other people
> should
> do... or bitching about how nobody takes your ideas seriously. Do you
> know why that is? It's because the 5% of the time you spend coming up
> with "new" ideas instead of bitching, THE IDEAS SUCK.
>
> You had one successful thread on Enturb -- and that was because you
> cut-and-pasted some info there you FOUND here on ARS... then a LOT OF
> OTHER PEOPLE DID A LOT OF HARD WORK. And you had the fucking nerve to
> cite THEIR work as an example of YOUR validity? You didn't contribute
> jack-shit to that thread except for the 5 seconds it took you to
> cut-and-paste. Wow. Big contribution.
>
> Fuck you. We don't need whimpering bitches in this fight. "
>

> I just don't see a 52 year old person with this much

OMG...you're not that moron 'anonymatt' who ran snivelling to ent about
how we were beating you up here for your stupid ideas, are you?

--
Barb
Chaplain, ARSCC (wdne)

?I think that the protections that we enjoy for freedom of worship exist
so long as we don?t step over the line. When religious worship and
belief cross over into things like fraud, victimization of others and
the disruption of the political arena, that protection is no longer
appropriate.?

--Robert Goff
Professor Emeritus, UCSC