=== Steve L ===

3/20/2007 5:18:00 PM

Or just my imagination?! I have been using SQL 2005 for a year and
dislike it more and more as time goes on, any improvements to the
product have been overshadowed by all the problems I have
encountered. I don't see a lot of postings about the many annoying
behaviors of this product and wanted to start this posting to see what
other DBAs' experiences were using this product so far. Here are just
a few things I could have encountered in single session of using SQL
2005. I think it's different that one does not how to do certain
things in a new product versus the product behaves unexpectedly under
normal usage, but really doesn't have a good explanation to it. And
that "randomness" made it difficult when contacting Microsoft for help
because many of the errors can't be re-produced by certain steps.

I know many SQL MVP or SQL product team might either defend the
product or attack my posting. My intention was not to attack SQL 2005
(after all, I'm a MCDBA and managing SQL servers is what I do for
living), but rather than a personal frustration of using this product
so far. By sharing experiences with the SQL DBA community, I hope it
will offer MS an opportunity to better understand where the
frustration is coming from and results a more mature product in the
near future.

1. Object explorer details view: the display sometimes works,
sometimes doesn't. The only way to work around is to re-start the
SSMS.

2. The packages saved in VS studio project are unstable. It has been
happening more than once to me that content of package mysteriously
disappeared, or when opening a project, I'll get a warning message
about package might be corrupted, but it continues to open it anyway.
SQL 2000 DTS NEVER had such a problem! And what happened to the
version control as in SQL 2000 dts package?

3. In SSMS, when open a legacy dts package in design mode, it disabled
SSMS, you can't navigate to any other objects in SSMS, like browsing
database tree structure and so on. The only work around is to close
the dts package (which force you to either save or abandon what you
were doing). SQL 2000 does not have this problem. (this one you can re-
produce the situation by steps)

4. Error: Cannot bulk load because the file could not be opened.
Operating system error code 5(Access is denied.). I've been plagued
with this problem since day one and contacted Microsoft several times
and they never were able to provide a solution. Bottom line is, bulk
insert in SQL 2005 is confusing, it does not work with windows
authentication in my case. My only work around are (but either of them
fits my business situation):
1. if the source files (flat files) were located on local server. (in
this case, both windows authentication or a SQL standard account would
work).
2. or, to use a SQL standard account with BulkAdmin permission to run
the bulk insert operation.
There are many postings about this on internet (such as the one in the
link) but each situation is different but none of the solutions
offered solved my problem so far.
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1140586&...

5. In SQL configuration manager, when re-starting a service, sometimes
you get the error message like "The request failed or the service did
not respond in a timely fashion."

6. Unknown SQL Agent status in SSMS. The Green arrow indicates the
Agent is running but sometimes it disappeared (you only see a white
circle) and when you right clicked on it, everything was grayed out,
you can't start/stop it in SSMS and you don't know if the service is
running or not, either. The only work around I know of is to go to
server directly and using the server configuration manager to re-start
it.

Thanks for reading and please share your experiences with me.

-Steve

18 Answers

NH

Some things I dislike....(and I am including all aspects of SQL 2005)

1) SSIS is a real pain compared to DTS, it used to be so easy to import data
from a MySQL database for example but now SSIS is way more strict on data
type mappings.

2) Service Pack 2 for SSRS has reintroduced the default "Select All" option
in multi-value paramters. But there is no way to turn it off!!

3) I like Query Analyzer as it gave me a place to write SQL, now I have to
do in SQL Management Studio and there is less room as I have windows open for
other things in there.

"=== Steve L ===" wrote:

> [...]
> link) but each situation is different but none of the solutions
> offered solved my problem so far.
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1140586&...
>
> 5. In SQL configuration manager, when re-starting a service, sometimes
> you get the error message like "The request failed or the service did
> not respond in a timely fashion."
>
> 6. Unknown SQL Agent status in SSMS. The Green arrow indicates the
> Agent is running but sometimes it disappeared (you only see a white
> circle) and when you right clicked on it, everything was grayed out,
> you can't start/stop it in SSMS and you don't know if the service is
> running or not, either. The only work around I know of is to go to
> server directly and using the server configuration manager to re-start
> it.
>
> Thanks for reading and please share your experiences with me.

pdxJaxon

Yes.

My experience is the same as yours.

it appears to be very buggy.

Especially SSIS and Profiler.

I have SP2 installed and am still experience bugs on a regular basis.

--
Cheers,

Gregory A Jackson
Portland, OR

"=== Steve L ===" wrote:

> [...]
> link) but each situation is different but none of the solutions
> offered solved my problem so far.
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1140586&...
>
> 5. In SQL configuration manager, when re-starting a service, sometimes
> you get the error message like "The request failed or the service did
> not respond in a timely fashion."
>
> 6. Unknown SQL Agent status in SSMS. The Green arrow indicates the
> Agent is running but sometimes it disappeared (you only see a white
> circle) and when you right clicked on it, everything was grayed out,
> you can't start/stop it in SSMS and you don't know if the service is
> running or not, either. The only work around I know of is to go to
> server directly and using the server configuration manager to re-start
> it.
>
> Thanks for reading and please share your experiences with me.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

> 1) SSIS is a real pain compared to DTS, it used to be so easy to import
> data
> from a MySQL database for example but now SSIS is way more strict on data
> type mappings.

In the long run that is probably better for you and your data. Seatbelts
were once considered a real pain in the a$$ too...

> 2) Service Pack 2 for SSRS has reintroduced the default "Select All"
> option
> in multi-value paramters. But there is no way to turn it off!!

Yes, we never heard the end of this problem when it surfaced in SP1. I
guess we have another round of that until SP3 (where, maybe, they'll fix it
right).

> 3) I like Query Analyzer as it gave me a place to write SQL, now I have to
> do in SQL Management Studio and there is less room as I have windows open
> for
> other things in there.

What other windows? Most dialogs you raise are separate and can be dragged
anywhere on your screen. I have the Object Explorer on the left, just like
I did in Query Analyzer. Any toolbox can be "pinned" so that it only pops
out when you want it to. I don't use any of the other toolboxes except
Registered Servers, which I pin to the left (so it covers Object Explorer
when I need it to). I have been using two monitors for so long, so maybe I
value screen real estate less than you. But if you have too many windows
open within Management Studio, and you didn't use those windows in Query
Analyzer, then maybe you should consider closing them!

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

=== Steve L ===

On Mar 20, 10:42 am, NH <N...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > link) but each situation is different but none of the solutions
> > offered solved my problem so far.
> >http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=114058......
>
> > 5. In SQL configuration manager, when re-starting a service, sometimes
> > you get the error message like "The request failed or the service did
> > not respond in a timely fashion."
>
> > 6. Unknown SQL Agent status in SSMS. The Green arrow indicates the
> > Agent is running but sometimes it disappeared (you only see a white
> > circle) and when you right clicked on it, everything was grayed out,
> > you can't start/stop it in SSMS and you don't know if the service is
> > running or not, either. The only work around I know of is to go to
> > server directly and using the server configuration manager to re-start
> > it.
>
> > Thanks for reading and please share your experiences with me.

I agree, SSIS is pain to use. Things used to be able to
do in sql2k dts in a snap become difficult or impossible to do in
sql2k5 SSIS, like bring in an external data source to SQL land. (which
is one of the most common tasks)

Two things also came into my mind:

1. SSIS in SSMS let you manage/create folder under 'Stored Package',
however, when deploy a project with many packages in VS studio, you
can't specify where the package can go on the server, it dumped them
all under Stored Package/MSDB root, and you can not move them to
different folder. So why bother with the create folder ability when
they can't be managed easily? Isn't that an inconsistency?

2. In SSMS/SSIS, you can not see the content, history, time stamp
(unless you run a report) of a 2005 package, which make it difficult
to sync with the packages in your VS studio project after
modifications.

Kevin D. White

"NH" <NH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Some things I dislike....(and I am including all aspects of SQL 2005)
>
> 1) SSIS is a real pain compared to DTS, it used to be so easy to import
> data
> from a MySQL database for example but now SSIS is way more strict on data
> type mappings.

SSIS is really a release 1.0 and should be treated as such. SSIS has a lot
of promise but it needs a lot of work. Things that should be simple like
configuration files and logging are actually a major pain. The debugger was
a nice feature until I realized that it returns different results than the
command line.

I've gone back to an almost pure SQL approach to my ETL scripts rather than
deal with the hassle.

NH

I have to say I dont find SQL 2005 buggy at all. I dont like the way certain
things work but that doesnt mean they are bugs.

I have been using SQL 2005 for about 1 year now and I havnt got any bugs.

"pdxJaxon" wrote:

> [...]
> > link) but each situation is different but none of the solutions
> > offered solved my problem so far.
> > http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1140586&...
> >
> > 5. In SQL configuration manager, when re-starting a service, sometimes
> > you get the error message like "The request failed or the service did
> > not respond in a timely fashion."
> >
> > 6. Unknown SQL Agent status in SSMS. The Green arrow indicates the
> > Agent is running but sometimes it disappeared (you only see a white
> > circle) and when you right clicked on it, everything was grayed out,
> > you can't start/stop it in SSMS and you don't know if the service is
> > running or not, either. The only work around I know of is to go to
> > server directly and using the server configuration manager to re-start
> > it.
> >
> > Thanks for reading and please share your experiences with me.

Uri Dimant

NH
MS has been realesed two service packs since november if I remember well.
There were/are some bugs and my belief is that SQL Server 2005 is very good
product and it is reliable in terms of upgrading so, people should not be
concerned

> [...]
>> > link) but each situation is different but none of the solutions
>> > offered solved my problem so far.
>> > http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1140586&...
>> >
>> > 5. In SQL configuration manager, when re-starting a service, sometimes
>> > you get the error message like "The request failed or the service did
>> > not respond in a timely fashion."
>> >
>> > 6. Unknown SQL Agent status in SSMS. The Green arrow indicates the
>> > Agent is running but sometimes it disappeared (you only see a white
>> > circle) and when you right clicked on it, everything was grayed out,
>> > you can't start/stop it in SSMS and you don't know if the service is
>> > running or not, either. The only work around I know of is to go to
>> > server directly and using the server configuration manager to re-start
>> > it.
>> >
>> > Thanks for reading and please share your experiences with me.

NH

Yes I agree. I think people are confusing "bugs" with features they dont like.

SQL 2005 is a great product, SSRS is my favourite.

"Uri Dimant" wrote:

> NH
> MS has been realesed two service packs since november if I remember well.
> There were/are some bugs and my belief is that SQL Server 2005 is very good
> product and it is reliable in terms of upgrading so, people should not be
> concerned
>

> "NH" <NH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have to say I dont find SQL 2005 buggy at all. I dont like the way
> >certain
> > things work but that doesnt mean they are bugs.
> >
> > I have been using SQL 2005 for about 1 year now and I havnt got any bugs.
> >
> > "pdxJaxon" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes.
> >>
> >> My experience is the same as yours.
> >>
> >> it appears to be very buggy.
> >>
> >> Especially SSIS and Profiler.
> >>
> >> I have SP2 installed and am still experience bugs on a regular basis.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Gregory A Jackson
> >> Portland, OR

=== Steve L ===

On Mar 21, 2:02 am, NH <N...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Yes I agree. I think people are confusing "bugs" with features they dont like.
>
> SQL 2005 is a great product, SSRS is my favourite.
>
> "Uri Dimant" wrote:
> > NH
> > MS has been realesed two service packs since november if I remember well.
> > There were/are some bugs and my belief is that SQL Server 2005 is very good
> > product and it is reliable in terms of upgrading so, people should not be
> > concerned
>
> > "NH" <N...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have to say I dont find SQL 2005 buggy at all. I dont like the way
> > >certain
> > > things work but that doesnt mean they are bugs.
>
> > > I have been using SQL 2005 for about 1 year now and I havnt got any bugs.

NH, I'm glad you had such a good luck using the product, but would you
pls elaborate on the issues pointed out in my original posting that
which one you think I confused the 'features' as 'bugs'?! It would be
more beneficial for everyone reading this if you can be more specific
about agree and disagree. It would also be interesting to know how
much experiences you had with SQL7 and SQL2000 and your primary role
in using the product. On a side note, yes, I agree that SSRS is an
asset to SQL server, but it's been around since SQL2000, not new to
SQL2005. Thank you.

Steve Dassin

Well it's refreshing to see someone who is not totally gutless in IT. The
best way to address MS guile is to show some bile. The nonsense at:
https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServe...
is just a corporate sinkhole.
The industry may find its spine again given the armageddon
presented courtesy of Vista. Take some heart and speak your piece. And stop
being so damn polite. Dirty laundry is best presented in someone's face,
served cold not chilled -:)