microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

Low Importance: Get Year from Date

x-rays

3/20/2007 9:47:00 AM

Hello Experts,

Which of the following statements is best to use?:

select datepart(year,getdate())

OR

select year(getdate())

Thanks in advance!
44 Answers

Razvan Socol

I would choose "select year(getdate())", because it's faster to type.

Razvan

AnsumanSahu

The YEAR function is synonym for DATEPART(yy, date)

ansuman sahu
www.mindfiresolutions.com

http://www.egghe...

Mitchell Holman

Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in news:Jason-0602132212570001@67-150-123-
14.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com:

> In article <XnsA15FD66CCC8A6nomailverizonnet@216.196.121.131>, Mitchell
> Holman <nomailverizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in
>>
>> > In article <hlwdjsd2-C33347.17292806022013@news.giganews.com>,
Jeanne

>> > Because they are not needed.
>>

>> Ditto for AR 15s
>
> I believe we do need them in case America is invaded.

Privately owned guns didn't do much when America
was invaded in 1814.

Privately owned guns didn't do much when America
was invaded in 1862 and 1863.

Privately owned guns didn't do much when America
was invaded in 1916.

Just when can we expect privately owned guns to
make a military difference?

tirebiter

@e18g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>,

@y9g2000vbb.googlegroups.co
>> evils

>> ote:

mo
>> > 496 murde=3D
>> > shotgun wa=3D

>> > shootin=3D
>> 2002.

>> > not be =3D

>> lip
>> > capaci=3D
>> > his firs=3D
>> > be aliv=3D

>> > murders from

>> idea
>> ips. It
>> my

>> ve

>> > We have already discussed this issue. The AR-15 rifle is a
>> > semi-auto rifle. It looks quite a lot like the military M-16 rifle.
>> > As we have discussed, the M-16 rifle is both a semi-auto rifle and
>> > a fully automatic rifle.
>> >
>> > You may have a point about the handgun used in the military. I
>> > don't know if it is =A0or is not possible to buy that exact same
>> > handgun. It is not =
>> > fully auto. pistol. It's a semi-auto handgun. I believe it is
>> > called the Beretta M-9. I don't believe it is made in America.
>>
>> You've not addressed my inquiry.
>>
>> Where in the constitution does it say civilians have the right to
>> possess military grade weaponry.
>>
>> Your evasive waffle shows you haven't got a leg to stand on.
>
> What weapon are you referring to?
>
> In general, the constituition does NOT mention weapon types. You
> should know that.

Then they obviously meant only the types of guns available in 1789.
That would be single shot, flintlock muzzleloaders.

---
a.a. #2273

tirebiter

Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in news:Jason-0602132212570001@67-150-123-
14.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com:

> In article <XnsA15FD66CCC8A6nomailverizonnet@216.196.121.131>, Mitchell
> Holman <nomailverizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in

>> > Because they are not needed.
>>

>> Ditto for AR 15s
>
> I believe we do need them in case America is invaded.

And so far your list of reasons to justify assault weapons is:

1. Defend against an unknown invasion from an unknown enemy for unknown
reasons.
2. <end of list>

That isn't good enough for the real item 1 on that list, which is:

1. It's the weapon of choice for mass murderers.

---
a.a. #2273

tirebiter

@e10g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>,

@o5g2000vbp.googlegroups.co

@u21g2000vbo.googlegrou
>> m>,

@e18g2000vbv.google
>> s.co=3D

@y9g2000vbb.goo
>> oups=3D

>> m>, =3D

>> m (J=3D

>> kill=3D
>> rif=3D
>> n wh=3D

>> howi=3D
>> n Au=3D

>> pon =3D

>> aying =3D
>> the sh=3D
>> wou=3D

>> fut=3D

>> is =3D
>> ly c=3D
>> ge c=3D

>> me d=3D

>> sta=3D
>> g co=3D

>> earm=3D

>> utio=3D
>> wea=3D

>> mi-a=3D
>> we h=3D
>> ly a=3D

>> I do=3D
>> andgun=3D
>> cal=3D

>> shou=3D

>> jet=3D

>> is y=3D

>> > Did you know that thousands of Americans own Beratta semi-auto
>> > handguns?
>> >
>> > yes or no
>>
>> Who owns military grade weaponry should be your concern.
>>
>> It could be one of your neighbours.
>>
>> And one of them might suffer from clinical depression.
>>
>> Yet you think it's okay for them to have such weapons in their
>> possession.
>
> Yes, I trust people and don't discriminate against people that have
> depression. Why do you discriminate against them by not wanting them
> to be able to buy a gun or guns.

That's a total lie. You don't care at all about anybody, especially
depressed people, And equating it to a physical disability shows that.

Do you still think homeless people need to be locked up so "regular
people" don't have to see them?

---
a.a. #2273

Darkman

"Devils Advocaat" <mankygoat7@gmail.com> wrote in message news:7c7691f6-115d-4c5f-b775-9d883d1b8c1d@g8g2000vbf.googlegroups.com...
> On 7 Feb, 07:40, Ja...@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:
>> In article
>><f55f916d-e74d-4d50-958e-707de7622...@r8g2000vbj.googlegroups.com>, Devils
>> Yes, I trust people and don't discriminate against people that have
>> depression. Why do you discriminate against them by not wanting them to be
>> able to buy a gun or guns.

> Think carefully Jason.
> The aftermath of most mass shootings
> reveals the perpetrator
> had mental health issues.
> Clinical depression is a mental health issue.
> Preventing people with mental health issues from having guns is not
> discrimination.
> It's called being practical.
> It reduces the risk of such people from going on the rampage when
> their pushed over the edge.
> Don't you want the risk of mass shootings reduced?

< "http://tc.is-a-hunter.com/Love's-The-Only-House... >

All Spitits
Have two Sides
Separate
Con-trol
Appear
Separate
and liberty

believe in
Separate
Death
Separate
Con-trol
Separate
all

Appear
Separate
Life
Separate
Controls
Separate
So we can
Death

Truly Guard
Control
Separate

Perpetrator
can only come
from House of
Love's

Only a Good Home
With Good Children

Evil Came with
Sociopath Child
-Seer 2:10, To 16.. The Life Word..
("John Smith". Updated interpretation).
By: William Raiman Adopte?2013AD..

--
"John Smith"
turning on the Automatic Updates feature
("John Smith". Updated interpretation).
By: William Raiman Adopte?2013AD..

Backward preaching

Jason

In article
<7c7691f6-115d-4c5f-b775-9d883d1b8c1d@g8g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>, Devils
> [...]

> > > It could be one of your neighbours.
> >
> > > And one of them might suffer from clinical depression.
> >
> > > Yet you think it's okay for them to have such weapons in their
> > > possession.
> >
> > Yes, I trust people and don't discriminate against people that have
> > depression. Why do you discriminate against them by not wanting them to b=
> > able to buy a gun or guns.
>
> Think carefully Jason.
>
> The aftermath of most mass shootings reveals the perpetrator had
> mental health issues.
>
> Clinical depression is a mental health issue.
>
> Preventing people with mental health issues from having guns is not
> discrimination.
>
> It's called being practical.
>
> It reduces the risk of such people from going on the rampage when
> their pushed over the edge.
>
> Don't you want the risk of mass shootings reduced?

I have a different point of view. There are millions of people that have
depression and anxiety.

If they are considered to be a danger to themselves or others, their
doctors should notify the authorities and their guns should be confiscated
and efforts should be taken by cops to make sure they can't pass
background checks.

However, the others should be allowed to buy and own guns.

Do you know anything about the Americans with Disabilities Act? If so,
does is cover people that have depression?

Jason

In article <XnsA1604FEBF7431nomailverizonnet@216.196.121.131>, Mitchell
Holman <nomailverizon.net> wrote:

> Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in news:Jason-0602132212570001@67-150-123-
> 14.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com:
>
> > In article <XnsA15FD66CCC8A6nomailverizonnet@216.196.121.131>, Mitchell
> > Holman <nomailverizon.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in

> Jeanne

> >> Ditto for AR 15s
> >
> > I believe we do need them in case America is invaded.
>

> Privately owned guns didn't do much when America
> was invaded in 1814.
>
> Privately owned guns didn't do much when America
> was invaded in 1862 and 1863.
>
> Privately owned guns didn't do much when America
> was invaded in 1916.
>

> Just when can we expect privately owned guns to
> make a military difference?

During the next invasion.

Devils Advocaat

On 5 Feb, 13:37, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 00:09:15 -0800 (PST), Devils Advocaat <mankygo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >On 4 Feb, 23:24, Ja...@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:

> >> I agree that making it illegal to sell 20 round clips is a stupid idea
> >> that will not save any lives. Most anyone could quickly change clips. It
> >> took some practice but I learned to very quickly change clips in my
> >> Mini-14 rifle. I no longer own it and still miss it.
>
> >High capacity clips aren't necessary for personal or home defence.
>
> The 2nd amendment says we can.

Given such weaponry didn't exist back then, and I've seen the said
amendment, I can only conclude that you're lying.