microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

High memory usage of sqlservr.exe

sudhir

Can anyone please tell me why sqlservr.exe uses very high memory usage?
In one of our application, we found that the system becoming too slow
because of this SQLSERVR.exe. The momory usage sometimes crossing>1 GB. Can
you please tell me
What is the function of SQLSERVR?
How to release the momory used by SQLSERVR?
Why the memory usage of SQLSERVR keep on increasing?

Thanks and Regards
Sudhir

4 Answers

Uri Dimant

sudir
It is by design.SQL Server allocates as much memory as it needs and realeses
it ifOS or another application needs the memory

Do you have MAX memory set up?

"sudhir" <sudhir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Can anyone please tell me why sqlservr.exe uses very high memory usage?
> In one of our application, we found that the system becoming too slow
> because of this SQLSERVR.exe. The momory usage sometimes crossing>1 GB.
> Can
> you please tell me
> What is the function of SQLSERVR?
> How to release the momory used by SQLSERVR?
> Why the memory usage of SQLSERVR keep on increasing?
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Sudhir

sudhir

But why this is taking > 1 GB memory? Yes the max server memory is set to
2147483647 MB. But once it crosses the 1 GB memory the system becomes too
slow. Can you please let me know how we can improve the performance? Or how
to release the memory?

Regards
Sudhir

"Uri Dimant" wrote:

> sudir
> It is by design.SQL Server allocates as much memory as it needs and realeses
> it ifOS or another application needs the memory
>
> Do you have MAX memory set up?
>

> "sudhir" <sudhir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Can anyone please tell me why sqlservr.exe uses very high memory usage?
> > In one of our application, we found that the system becoming too slow
> > because of this SQLSERVR.exe. The momory usage sometimes crossing>1 GB.
> > Can
> > you please tell me
> > What is the function of SQLSERVR?
> > How to release the momory used by SQLSERVR?
> > Why the memory usage of SQLSERVR keep on increasing?
> >
> > Thanks and Regards
> > Sudhir

Uri Dimant

How much memory does the server have?

> Hi,
> But why this is taking > 1 GB memory? Yes the max server memory is set to
> 2147483647 MB. But once it crosses the 1 GB memory the system becomes too
> slow. Can you please let me know how we can improve the performance? Or
> how
> to release the memory?
>
> Regards
> Sudhir
>

> "Uri Dimant" wrote:
>
>> sudir
>> It is by design.SQL Server allocates as much memory as it needs and
>> realeses
>> it ifOS or another application needs the memory
>>
>> Do you have MAX memory set up?
>>

>> "sudhir" <sudhir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > Can anyone please tell me why sqlservr.exe uses very high memory usage?
>> > In one of our application, we found that the system becoming too slow
>> > because of this SQLSERVR.exe. The momory usage sometimes crossing>1 GB.
>> > Can
>> > you please tell me
>> > What is the function of SQLSERVR?
>> > How to release the momory used by SQLSERVR?
>> > Why the memory usage of SQLSERVR keep on increasing?
>> >
>> > Thanks and Regards
>> > Sudhir

WiredUK

Are you running other services on the server?

Is it SQL Server that is becoming slow or the other services?

If it is the other services, then you need to restrict the amount of memory
that SQL Server uses by using the aforementioned MAX memory.