Jim Mack

2/27/2012 10:50:00 PM

It's quite easy to write custom video players in VB6 using WMP.dll.
I've done it many times in various flavors. But I recently needed a
little better control so I dove back into the Active Movie library
(DirectShow) via Quartz.dll.

To do the basic stuff is relatively simple, but with power and control
comes complexity, and there's little (no) VB6 documentation for this
library beyond the basics. And when it doesn't work, it offers only the
vaguest of reasons.

What I'm facing is that some clips (appear to) render correctly,
building a graph with what it thinks are the correct filters while
throwing no errors, but the resulting graph will not run -- attempting
the .Run method throws the generic Automation error C00D002B which is
supposedly "incorrect file name". But it finds and renders the file
with no problems, and WMP (standalone and via WMP.DLL) plays the file
OK.

So, is there a good, comprehensive and well-exampled source of info on
using Quartz.dll directly? The MSDN entry is fine as far as it goes (
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd407357%28v=vs.... )
but it's just not deep enough to solve this kind of problem.

Grasping here... any feedback is welcome.

--
Jim

2 Answers

unknown

"Jim Mack" <no-uce-ube@mdxi.com> wrote in message
> So, is there a good, comprehensive and well-exampled source of info on
> using Quartz.dll directly? The MSDN entry is fine as far as it goes (
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd407357%28v=vs.... ) but
> it's just not deep enough to solve this kind of problem.

Have you tried Planet Source Code?

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/search.as...

Jim Mack

> "Jim Mack" <no-uce-ube@mdxi.com> wrote in message
>> So, is there a good, comprehensive and well-exampled source of info on
>> using Quartz.dll directly? The MSDN entry is fine as far as it goes (
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd407357%28v=vs.... )
>> but
>> it's just not deep enough to solve this kind of problem.
>
> Have you tried Planet Source Code?
>
> http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/search.as...

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the only things there are A) very old, B) very basic and C)
deficient in the very areas I'm looking for more info. They also don't
play the clips that fail for me.

Hey, anybody can code using "on error resume next". (-:

--
Jim