microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

What are the most common roles for users of an average app?

Dan

Data access in our apps is not very significant and although we've been
developing apps for many years we are not that strong on the dba side. We
have recently switched to SQL Server Express from another DBMS. One of our
potential customers insists on role based security. Because we need to
compete with other guys we'd like to have this requirement checked off.

Regardless of the reasons mentioned above, could someone please list the
most common roles and their associated rights? I do realise that this is a
very general question but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Our database is not very complicated ( less than 10 tables with ~40 stored
procedures). Our apps call stored procedures to access the database so
assigning access rights to roles and users should not be a big problem.

Thanks,
Dan

1 Answer

AlterEgo

Dan,

Roles are going to vary greatly from company to company and application to
application. Given that your organization appears to be in the software
industry, I would suggest creating a framework that allows companies to
create whichever roles they want, and assign whichever functions they want
to those roles. The role based security could be maintained at the database
level, or with metadata at the application level.

-- Bill