microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

OT: advice for web programming

mm

2/22/2012 10:54:00 PM

Hello,

I want to ask here for an advice about a web site programming.
I already asked this question on a web programming forum and as I suspected
they told me to learn PHP and MySQL.
I want to ask it here because I think that perhaps I could get a good advice
from someone here too.

I need to program a web site that will have categories, companies that will
list products with pictures, prices, etc.
If everything goes well, it could become a huge database.

I have not idea about web programming, my only experience so far is to have
made some static HTML websites with FrontPage.

You know that I know VB6, that is the only programming language that I know
now.
What do you sugest? To learn PHP + MySQL? From an online tutorial?
Thanks.

23 Answers

Mike Scirocco

On 2/22/2012 2:54 PM, Eduardo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to ask here for an advice about a web site programming.
> I already asked this question on a web programming forum and as I suspected
> they told me to learn PHP and MySQL.
> I want to ask it here because I think that perhaps I could get a good advice
> from someone here too.
>
> I need to program a web site that will have categories, companies that will
> list products with pictures, prices, etc.
> If everything goes well, it could become a huge database.
>
> I have not idea about web programming, my only experience so far is to have
> made some static HTML websites with FrontPage.
>
> You know that I know VB6, that is the only programming language that I know
> now.
> What do you sugest? To learn PHP + MySQL? From an online tutorial?
> Thanks.

I found PHP to very "readable", like VB, the command names often make
sense and clue you in to what they do, for me that makes it more fun and
faster to learn. Also PHP has a lot of commands that make interacting
with a database straightforward, here are a few:

http://php.net/manual/en/ref...

And you can find tons of help and code examples online. Unless you have
a compelling reason to use ASP I don't think you can go wrong with PHP.

Mike

Schmidt

Am 22.02.2012 23:54, schrieb Eduardo:

> I want to ask here for an advice about a web site programming.
> I already asked this question on a web programming forum and as
> I suspected they told me to learn PHP and MySQL.
> I want to ask it here because I think that perhaps I could get
> a good advice from someone here too.
>
> I need to program a web site that will have categories, companies
> that will list products with pictures, prices, etc.
> If everything goes well, it could become a huge database.
>
> I have not idea about web programming, my only experience so
> far is to have made some static HTML websites with FrontPage.
>
> You know that I know VB6, that is the only programming
> language that I know now.
> What do you sugest? To learn PHP + MySQL? From an online tutorial?

If you know VB6 well - and maybe also already know how to
use MySQL from VB6 *and* your Site will have much to do
"in the Backend" (a lot of Data-Requests, e.g. per ADO -
and a lot of processing on this Data (so that your existing
knowledge has a chance to pay-off)... that is, before you
want to show the results in "some Lists and Buttons" in your
HTML-GUI - then you could of course try *.asp (there should
be some Hosters out there, which will offer that kind
of service).
Asp allows also simple redirection into your normal VB6-
ActiveX-Dlls - and if you don't want to, then you will
not have to touch the VBScript-language, ASP-pages
usually are made with.

Otherwise, as Mike has said - PHP/MySQL is not that
hard in comparison.

Maybe try to achieve a simple "Hello World"-Output in
a Browser with both approaches - then maybe a simple
Recordset- or Resultset-Select which returns a filled
HTML-List to the Browser.

After such simple tests you can better decide I think.

For beginners, the setting-up of the appropriate
WebServers will perhaps be a small hurdle, but try
to subtract these efforts from the following tests.

Olaf

Dee Earley

On 22/02/2012 22:54, Eduardo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to ask here for an advice about a web site programming.

Erm, kinda (or very) OT for a VB classic group.

--
Deanna Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

Brian Kelly

Deanna Earley wrote:
> On 22/02/2012 22:54, Eduardo wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to ask here for an advice about a web site programming.
>
> Erm, kinda (or very) OT for a VB classic group.

Webclasses ?

File->New Project->IIS Application

--
Brian Kelly
Home Page http://k...

Dee Earley

On 23/02/2012 13:33, Brian Kelly wrote:
> Deanna Earley wrote:
>> On 22/02/2012 22:54, Eduardo wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I want to ask here for an advice about a web site programming.
>>
>> Erm, kinda (or very) OT for a VB classic group.
>
> Webclasses ?
>
> File->New Project->IIS Application

I was ignoring the very niche (and outdated/superseded) case, especially
as they went on to ask about PHP.

--
Deanna Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team
http://www.icode.co.uk...

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

Mayayana

I've really only used a bit of PHP, but I manage
a couple of websites. My impression is that you
can do a great deal with little effort using the
various tools that most webhosts provide. But I
can't tell you any details because I haven't used
them. If it were me I'd just ask around. Lots of
people with little tech. experience are running
online stores. Don't ask programmers. Ask people
with interactive websites.

I don't see any place for VB6 in that, unless you
run your own Windows server. When I was setting up
a website I had a choice between Windows with
ASP and Unix/Linux with PHP. I chose the latter
despite having a great deal of experience with
VBScript. With MS it's all commercial. With Unix/Linux
just about anything you might want is out there for
free....and you can find free directions. You generally
don't need to write your own PHP.

"Eduardo" <mm@mm.com> wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| I want to ask here for an advice about a web site programming.
| I already asked this question on a web programming forum and as I
suspected
| they told me to learn PHP and MySQL.
| I want to ask it here because I think that perhaps I could get a good
advice
| from someone here too.
|
| I need to program a web site that will have categories, companies that
will
| list products with pictures, prices, etc.
| If everything goes well, it could become a huge database.
|
| I have not idea about web programming, my only experience so far is to
have
| made some static HTML websites with FrontPage.
|
| You know that I know VB6, that is the only programming language that I
know
| now.
| What do you sugest? To learn PHP + MySQL? From an online tutorial?
| Thanks.

Schmidt

Am 23.02.2012 12:44, schrieb Deanna Earley:
> On 22/02/2012 22:54, Eduardo wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to ask here for an advice about a web site programming.
>
> Erm, kinda (or very) OT for a VB classic group.

Why - in case he decides, to go with VB6 - then this
would be a very interesting topic in this group IMO -
my opinion is, that WebProgramming will play an important
role (again) in the future - and any developer would profit
from becoming a bit more familiar with at least the "Basics"
of the BrowserClient<->WebServer PingPong-processes...

I mean, it's not in any way different from questions about
VB6-Winsock-problems - or VB6 being used to parse or
concatenate TextContent-snippets - because "serving
a Browser-Client over the ASP-offered Response-Object-
methods" covers both just mentioned topics (more or less
indirectly) too.

A WebApp is (on the server-end you want to program) -
only the task, of delivering the right concatenated
(HTML-)Strings back to the asking Browser-Client -
the "Browser-End" of "the socket" is then offered in
case of ASP, in a simple to use Response-Object, which
you can "fill" - before it transports its content back
to the Browser - with e.g.:
Response.Write "<html><body>" & _
MyDynamicBodyContentStringConcatenation & _
"</body></html>"

To decide properly, *what* content-string needs to be generated
(e.g. simply read and served from unchanging static-files),
one has to determine the kind of request (and its parameters,
if there are any) from the Request-Object...
So, Request.URL- and Request-Param-properties etc. are to
be asked before you start "building your AnswerString".

VB6 offers (as Brian has already pointed out) even a
Project-Type for that, involving 'VB6-WebClasses',
which internally already know the Application, Server,
Request, Response-Object-Types and have already appropriate
Request-Handler-Routines defined in them.
Never used this project-type - not sure how it works
against current IIS-implementations.

But also a freestanding COM-Dll (without these Project-Templates
supporting-mechanism) is possible, as long as you put a reference
to the 'Microsoft Active Server Pages Object Library' into it.

Then you could Place a Public Method within your cMain-Entry-Class
as e.g.:
Option Explicit

Private Application As Application, Server As Server, Session As Session
Private Request As Request, Response As Response

Public Sub Main(Apl, Srv, Sess, Req, Resp)
'make the Servers "surrounding Web-Objects" known within the Class
'to be able to call Class-Private Subroutines without passing them
Set Application = Apl
Set Server = Srv: Set Session = Sess
Set Request = Req: Set Response = Resp

'now ask the Request-Object, what the Browser wants to be delivered
'and redelegate to Class-Private Functions from here...
End Sub 'Main

In usually C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ a simple file needs to be placed,
to delegate all incoming calls of e.g. the form:
http://My.Server.Test.IP/mydel...
to your server-Dll.

As content of such a File (mydelegator.asp) would be sufficient:
<%
Server.Createobject("MyDll.cMain").Main _
Application, Server, Session, Request, Response
%>

After that "linking-delegation-def" to your Dll and cMain-
class is placed as an *.asp-File in the wwwroot-folder,
you will not have to touch it anymore if you dont
change the DllName or ClassName of your "EntryPoint".

Everything else - your whole WebApps responses can
be handled from the Main-Procedure I've outlined above -
completely using (natively compiled) VB6-Code to
produce your response-snippets.

Olaf

mm

Thanks Olaf, Mike, Mayayana.
I will have to start reading about those new (new for me) technologies.

The opinion of people that are experienced VB6 programmers and also have
already gone into the web programming is important for me, because they
already walked the path I need to walk now.

mm

"Deanna Earley" <dee.earley@icode.co.uk> escribió en el mensaje
> On 22/02/2012 22:54, Eduardo wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to ask here for an advice about a web site programming.
>
> Erm, kinda (or very) OT for a VB classic group.

Yes.

Do you see a problem?

Tony Toews

2/24/2012

0

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:44:04 +0000, Deanna Earley
<dee.earley@icode.co.uk> wrote:

>> I want to ask here for an advice about a web site programming.
>
>Erm, kinda (or very) OT for a VB classic group.

Yes but <smile> I would trust the opinion of 99% of the long time
posters in this newsgroup, such as you and other in this thread, as,
from the quality of their postings, they have excellent technical
competence. And judgement as to when not to respond.

So sure it's quite off topic but so what.

Tony