microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

Connecting to SQLServer2005 on a remote machine taking long

SivaCh

3/18/2007 4:54:00 PM

I am facing a typical problem while connecting to SQLServer2005 on a remote
machine. If my local machine is having the SQLServer2005, then i could able
to connect to database and fetch result to my ASP.NET UI in a split second.
If web application in my local machine trying get data from SQLServer2005
database from remote machine, it is taking more than 3 minutes to show the
data. All the SQLServer surface configuration (enabling TCPIP protocols,
allowing remote users settings are done) is done properly. Can you suggest
what could be the reason(s) for taking that long to return data when
SQLServer2005 is in remote machine?
Please let me know asasp.

7 Answers

Jeje

what is the authentication method? (SQL or NTLM?)
what is the network speed between the 2 computers?
how the resolution name is setup? what's appends if you use the IP address
of the server instead of the name?

"SivaCh" <SivaCh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am facing a typical problem while connecting to SQLServer2005 on a remote
> machine. If my local machine is having the SQLServer2005, then i could
> able
> to connect to database and fetch result to my ASP.NET UI in a split
> second.
> If web application in my local machine trying get data from SQLServer2005
> database from remote machine, it is taking more than 3 minutes to show the
> data. All the SQLServer surface configuration (enabling TCPIP protocols,
> allowing remote users settings are done) is done properly. Can you suggest
> what could be the reason(s) for taking that long to return data when
> SQLServer2005 is in remote machine?
> Please let me know asasp.

SivaCh

Hi Jeje,
Thanks for your response. Here are the details for your questions

what is the authentication method? (SQL or NTLM?)
Siva:SQL
what is the network speed between the 2 computers?
Siva:100 mbps
how the resolution name is setup? what's appends if you use the IP address
of the server instead of the name?
Siva:Checked with both IP Address as well as ServerName. The problem exists

Regards,
Siva

"Jeje" wrote:

> what is the authentication method? (SQL or NTLM?)
> what is the network speed between the 2 computers?
> how the resolution name is setup? what's appends if you use the IP address
> of the server instead of the name?
>

> "SivaCh" <SivaCh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am facing a typical problem while connecting to SQLServer2005 on a remote
> > machine. If my local machine is having the SQLServer2005, then i could
> > able
> > to connect to database and fetch result to my ASP.NET UI in a split
> > second.
> > If web application in my local machine trying get data from SQLServer2005
> > database from remote machine, it is taking more than 3 minutes to show the
> > data. All the SQLServer surface configuration (enabling TCPIP protocols,
> > allowing remote users settings are done) is done properly. Can you suggest
> > what could be the reason(s) for taking that long to return data when
> > SQLServer2005 is in remote machine?
> > Please let me know asasp.

Jeje

ok...
have you try to copy files between the 2 servers to see how the traffic is?
sometimes there is router issues.

now when you say "3minutes to show the data" did you see 3 minutes of
network traffic?
(do you return a large dataset?)
have you identify if its the problem is at the connection time, or query
processing time or the rendering time?
what is the front end application?
Does executing the same query from another computer takes 3 minutes too?

> Hi Jeje,
> Thanks for your response. Here are the details for your questions
>
> what is the authentication method? (SQL or NTLM?)
> Siva:SQL
> what is the network speed between the 2 computers?
> Siva:100 mbps
> how the resolution name is setup? what's appends if you use the IP address
> of the server instead of the name?
> Siva:Checked with both IP Address as well as ServerName. The problem
> exists
>
> Regards,
> Siva
>
> "Jeje" wrote:
>
>> what is the authentication method? (SQL or NTLM?)
>> what is the network speed between the 2 computers?
>> how the resolution name is setup? what's appends if you use the IP
>> address
>> of the server instead of the name?
>>

>> "SivaCh" <SivaCh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am facing a typical problem while connecting to SQLServer2005 on a
>> >remote
>> > machine. If my local machine is having the SQLServer2005, then i could
>> > able
>> > to connect to database and fetch result to my ASP.NET UI in a split
>> > second.
>> > If web application in my local machine trying get data from
>> > SQLServer2005
>> > database from remote machine, it is taking more than 3 minutes to show
>> > the
>> > data. All the SQLServer surface configuration (enabling TCPIP
>> > protocols,
>> > allowing remote users settings are done) is done properly. Can you
>> > suggest
>> > what could be the reason(s) for taking that long to return data when
>> > SQLServer2005 is in remote machine?
>> > Please let me know asasp.

SivaCh

Hi Jeje,
Sorry for delay. Please see in line......

"Jeje" wrote:

> ok...
> have you try to copy files between the 2 servers to see how the traffic is?
> sometimes there is router issues.
> [Siva]: Yes copying files is happening fine.
> now when you say "3minutes to show the data" did you see 3 minutes of
> network traffic?
> (do you return a large dataset?)
[Siva]: Yes
> have you identify if its the problem is at the connection time, or query
> processing time or the rendering time?
> what is the front end application?
[Siva]: It is the .NET 2.0
> Does executing the same query from another computer takes 3 minutes too?
[Siva]: No,if it is in local machine, it is taking spilt second of time.
> "SivaCh" <SivaCh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Jeje,
> > Thanks for your response. Here are the details for your questions
> >
> > what is the authentication method? (SQL or NTLM?)
> > Siva:SQL
> > what is the network speed between the 2 computers?
> > Siva:100 mbps
> > how the resolution name is setup? what's appends if you use the IP address
> > of the server instead of the name?
> > Siva:Checked with both IP Address as well as ServerName. The problem
> > exists
> >
> > Regards,
> > Siva
> >
> > "Jeje" wrote:
> >
> >> what is the authentication method? (SQL or NTLM?)
> >> what is the network speed between the 2 computers?
> >> how the resolution name is setup? what's appends if you use the IP
> >> address
> >> of the server instead of the name?
> >>

> >> "SivaCh" <SivaCh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jeje

well, locally there is no network traffic everything is in memory, so you
can move large amount of data quickly.

how many rows are returned by the query and what is the size of 1 row?
do you really need to retrieve a large dataset?
avoid select * queries

but if its really required, try changing the packet size option of the
connection string:
data source=.....;packet size=32200

but this option will degrade the performance for smallest queries which play
with few rows only.

> Hi Jeje,
> Sorry for delay. Please see in line......
>
> "Jeje" wrote:
>
>> ok...
>> have you try to copy files between the 2 servers to see how the traffic
>> is?
>> sometimes there is router issues.
>> [Siva]: Yes copying files is happening fine.
>> now when you say "3minutes to show the data" did you see 3 minutes of
>> network traffic?
>> (do you return a large dataset?)
> [Siva]: Yes
>> have you identify if its the problem is at the connection time, or query
>> processing time or the rendering time?
>> what is the front end application?
> [Siva]: It is the .NET 2.0
>> Does executing the same query from another computer takes 3 minutes too?
> [Siva]: No,if it is in local machine, it is taking spilt second of time.
>> "SivaCh" <SivaCh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Jeje,
>> > Thanks for your response. Here are the details for your questions
>> >
>> > what is the authentication method? (SQL or NTLM?)
>> > Siva:SQL
>> > what is the network speed between the 2 computers?
>> > Siva:100 mbps
>> > how the resolution name is setup? what's appends if you use the IP
>> > address
>> > of the server instead of the name?
>> > Siva:Checked with both IP Address as well as ServerName. The problem
>> > exists
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Siva

SivaCh

Yes this query returns a large data only. Let me try this "Packet Size"
option and get back to you.

Thanks,
Siva

"Jeje" wrote:

> well, locally there is no network traffic everything is in memory, so you
> can move large amount of data quickly.
>
> how many rows are returned by the query and what is the size of 1 row?
> do you really need to retrieve a large dataset?
> avoid select * queries
>
> but if its really required, try changing the packet size option of the
> connection string:
> data source=.....;packet size=32200
>
> but this option will degrade the performance for smallest queries which play
> with few rows only.
>

> "SivaCh" <SivaCh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Jeje,
> > Sorry for delay. Please see in line......
> >
> > "Jeje" wrote:
> >
> >> ok...
> >> have you try to copy files between the 2 servers to see how the traffic
> >> is?
> >> sometimes there is router issues.
> >> [Siva]: Yes copying files is happening fine.
> >> now when you say "3minutes to show the data" did you see 3 minutes of
> >> network traffic?
> >> (do you return a large dataset?)
> > [Siva]: Yes
> >> have you identify if its the problem is at the connection time, or query
> >> processing time or the rendering time?
> >> what is the front end application?
> > [Siva]: It is the .NET 2.0
> >> Does executing the same query from another computer takes 3 minutes too?
> > [Siva]: No,if it is in local machine, it is taking spilt second of time.
> >> "SivaCh" <SivaCh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jeje

this option will reduce the number of roundtrip to the server by sending
larger content.
this will helps you, but not so much.

what your ASP.NET application do with this large resultset?
which method do you use to read this? a dataset or a datareader?

can you describe this part of your project?