microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Updated "support statement" for VB6

Karl E. Peterson

2/10/2012 1:42:00 AM

Believe it, or not...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/nb-no/vbrun/ms788708%28en-...

Executive Summary

The Visual Basic team is committed to "It Just Works" compatibility for
Visual Basic 6.0 applications on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008
including R2, Windows 7, and Windows 8.

The Visual Basic team's goal is that Visual Basic 6.0 applications that
run on Windows XP will also run on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008,
Windows 7, and Windows 8. As detailed in this document, the core Visual
Basic 6.0 runtime will be supported for the full lifetime of Windows
Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows 8, which is five
years of mainstream support followed by five years of extended support
(http://support.microsoft.com/gp/...).

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfre...

33 Answers

Bob Butler

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
> Believe it, or not...
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/nb-no/vbrun/ms788708%28en-...
>

> Executive Summary
>
> The Visual Basic team is committed to "It Just Works" compatibility for
> Visual Basic 6.0 applications on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008
> including R2, Windows 7, and Windows 8.

Not surprised at all; too many VB6 apps still out there with no reasonable
upgrade path

Tony Toews

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 17:42:08 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org>
wrote:

>Believe it, or not...

Awesome. Thanks for posting.

Also I was quite happy to read earlier today that MS will be selling
ARM specific versions of Office apps such as Word, Excel and OneNote
but not Microsoft Access. Which is good news for me as I don't have
to rewrite the engine half of my Auto FE Updater app, which is
designed to work with MS Access apps, in C++. For now anyhow.

Tony

ralph

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 18:08:58 -0800, "Bob Butler"
<bob_butler@cox.invalid> wrote:

>"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Believe it, or not...
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/nb-no/vbrun/ms788708%28en-...
>>

>> Executive Summary
>>
>> The Visual Basic team is committed to "It Just Works" compatibility for
>> Visual Basic 6.0 applications on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008
>> including R2, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
>
>Not surprised at all; too many VB6 apps still out there with no reasonable
>upgrade path

Not surprised either, however, I am surprised (and a bit pleased) that
they made a firm statement, instead of spreading the usual FUD. <g>

-ralph

Karl E. Peterson

After serious thinking Tony Toews wrote :
> Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
>
>> Believe it, or not...
>
> Awesome. Thanks for posting.
>
> Also I was quite happy to read earlier today that MS will be selling
> ARM specific versions of Office apps such as Word, Excel and OneNote
> but not Microsoft Access. Which is good news for me as I don't have
> to rewrite the engine half of my Auto FE Updater app, which is
> designed to work with MS Access apps, in C++. For now anyhow.

I guess the "support" for VB6 won't include ARM, either. Not sure I'm
very concerned about that, at this point. <g>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfre...

Karl E. Peterson

Bob Butler wrote :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote...
>> Believe it, or not...
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/nb-no/vbrun/ms788708%28en-...
>>

>> Executive Summary
>>
>> The Visual Basic team is committed to "It Just Works" compatibility for
>> Visual Basic 6.0 applications on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008
>> including R2, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
>
> Not surprised at all; too many VB6 apps still out there with no reasonable
> upgrade path

Maybe even more important, far too many VB6 app *users* out there, all
too ready already to just say "fuggeddaboutit!" wrt Win8. In
particular, all the corporate users who have absolutely no reason to
upgrade in the first place. This would be a deal-sealer if they VB6
apps didn't "just work." :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfre...

unknown

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
> Believe it, or not...
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/nb-no/vbrun/ms788708%28en-...
>

> Executive Summary
>
> The Visual Basic team is committed to "It Just Works" compatibility for
> Visual Basic 6.0 applications on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008
> including R2, Windows 7, and Windows 8.

That must have been updated within the last 2 days, because I visited that
page 2 days ago, and it wasn't there.

Tony Toews

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 20:16:17 -0600, ralph <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net>
wrote:

>Not surprised either, however, I am surprised (and a bit pleased) that
>they made a firm statement, instead of spreading the usual FUD. <g>

Hehehehe. Agreed.

Tony

Tony Toews

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 18:22:46 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org>
wrote:

>Maybe even more important, far too many VB6 app *users* out there, all
>too ready already to just say "fuggeddaboutit!" wrt Win8. In
>particular, all the corporate users who have absolutely no reason to
>upgrade in the first place. This would be a deal-sealer if they VB6
>apps didn't "just work." :-)

Excellent point. And what does it cost MS? Some testing time.

Tony

Mayayana

| I guess the "support" for VB6 won't include ARM, either. Not sure I'm
| very concerned about that, at this point. <g>

There's an interesting, new post here, from Steve Sinofsky:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/02/09/building-windows-for-the-arm-processor-archite...

Caveat: The post is very long. As with most MS "technical"
articles, Mr. Sinofsky doesn't distinguish between facts and
carnival barking. He also exhibits the symptoms of a person
who thinks in slogans, frequently using words like "architected".
The piece is *very* longwinded and repetitive.

But... There's a lot of interesting stuff.

It's also Orwellian in ways. Sinofsky introduces a new, tedious
slogan, probably to be repeated quite a bit in the future:
"no compromises". That means that with Win 8 you get Metro
*plus* Desktop. There's just more good stuff, with nothing
missing. But behind the sales slogans he's actually saying almost
the opposite:
Windows on ARM (WOA) will be radically different. It will be
the locked-down MS entertainment appliance that MS has been
trying to get to for years now. ARM and tablets have finally
given them a route to bring in lockdown, which can then be
spread to PCs by gradually switching those over to ARM. Mr.
Sinofsky is very sneaky on that point. He repeatedly refers to
"WOA PCs", lumping ARM tablets, and by implication perhaps
even phones, together with real PCs running an actual Windows
OS, so that later he can define the ending of x86 products
and the Windows OS proper as an uninteresting technicality;
a mere trivial blip in the progress of computing hardware, of
interest only to engineers.

Other interesting details:

* WOA will come with pre-installed MS Office, software, etc.,
as well as "over 100 different services globally" that can be
subscribed to online.

* One cannot install software or drivers, any more than one
can edit the software in a modern TV set. It's locked down.
One can only allow MS to update the software, and one can
buy trinkets at the MS Store. WOA is a services and
entertainment appliance.
(Which is where we come in. If we switch to C++, .Net, or
javascript we can pay Microsoft for the chance to write games
and trinkets for WOA.)

* Another misleading statement that seems to be getting
misunderstood by commenters online
(http://betanews.com/2012/02/10/windows-on-arm-is-t...)
:

"Native code targeting WinRT is also supported using C and C++"

"Developers can use our tools to create native C/C++ code for maximal
performance and flexibility, in addition to the C#, XAML, VB, and HTML5
based tools, to target apps for WOA, so long as their code targets the WinRT
API set. "

"maximal performance" makes it sound like C++ and other
compiled languages can run on WOA. But what he's
actually saying is that there is no true Windows programming
at all on WOA. There is only the high-level WinRT services
wrapper. C++ people and DotNetters can access it just like
javascripters can access it, which presumably allows the C++
set to save face in the same way that C# allows DotNetters
with a C++ background to save face. Sinofsky is redefining
native code to be not compiled code with direct machine
access, but simply C/C++ code, even though that C++ may
be just an awkward way to access WinRT. Sinofsky seems
to have made a deliberate effort to instigate that
misunderstanding. In other words, he's usurped the terms
"native code" and "PC", redefining them to serve his manifesto.

No sooner did I finish that article then I came across another
detailing how the next academic version of MS Office will
require a Microsoft LiveID, will be downloaded with no activation
code, and will require a valid college ID/email adddress to make
it work.

I've never used any gaming appliances like X-Box, but it
sounds to me like WOA is modeled somewhat on that: A
locked-down appliance that serves up mainly entertainement
options, and always for a fee. With all the pre-installed
software it seems likely that WOA will come with some sort
of forced subscription/extortion plan. I can't imagine MS just
giving away Office (even if it is nearly useless on a tablet).
It's not hard to imagine a scenario where people *don't have
to* subscribe to MS services and software, but if they don't
subscribe then they won't be able to do very much with their
tablets.

Tony Toews

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 10:48:34 -0500, "Mayayana"
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>* One cannot install software or drivers, any more than one
>can edit the software in a modern TV set. It's locked down.
>One can only allow MS to update the software, and one can
>buy trinkets at the MS Store.

I'll be purchasing Android tablets then. Or Win8/Intel even with a
much shorter battery life.

But sheesh, pity the software developers who want to target the
phone/tablet market place. How many platforms do they have to
support? Android, Playbook, several Apple, I think, and now WOA.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/ac...