microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

Using data cache in sql 2005

Remo

3/16/2007 1:37:00 AM

Hi All,

Can anyone please help me by provoding information about datacacheing in sql
server 2005.How to cache, update and access kinda things....

Thanks in advance,
Remo

3 Answers

Tibor Karaszi

Can you be more explicit? Are you referring to issuing a SELECT statement, caching the result in the
client app, potentially modifying that result and then have those modification reflected in the
database? If so, read about ADO.NET, things like dataset, datatable data adapter etc.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/d...

"Remo" <renjum@healthasyst.com> wrote in message news:O7g92t2ZHHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone please help me by provoding information about datacacheing in sql server 2005.How to
> cache, update and access kinda things....
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Remo

Remo

Thanks Tibor,

I meant, some thing similar pinning table into memory.PINTABLE has no effect
in SQL server 2005.I wish to keep a table ( a result set more explicitly) in
memory .Or in orther words, an alternatibe knida thing of PINTABLE.

Thanks,
Remo
"Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi@hotmail.nomail.com> wrote in
message news:uC$XKl5ZHHA.984@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Can you be more explicit? Are you referring to issuing a SELECT statement,
> caching the result in the client app, potentially modifying that result
> and then have those modification reflected in the database? If so, read
> about ADO.NET, things like dataset, datatable data adapter etc.
>
> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/d...
> http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tib...
>

> "Remo" <renjum@healthasyst.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Can anyone please help me by provoding information about datacacheing in
>> sql server 2005.How to cache, update and access kinda things....
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Remo

Tibor Karaszi

There is no way to store a result set in memory, except by creating a view for the query, index that
view, query the view so the index is used, and now you can say that the result set for the view is
in cache (until aged out, of course).

AFAIK, MS removed pintable because the misuse of the feature. The cache algorithms in SQL Server is
very sophisticated and if you refer to pages frequently, they will be hot and hence in cache.