microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

SQL Server 2005 Activity Monitor

RickSean

3/15/2007 11:37:00 PM

I hae a stored procedure that has been running for over 9 hours; I see a
green rolling wheel and the status as 'Executing Query'
I tried to get some info in Activity Monitor but couldn't find any info on
this process; where do i go to check what is going on with this sp?
4 Answers

Hari

Hello,

Execute SP_WHO or query the below dynamic management view for any blocks

sys.dm_exec_requests

Thanks
Hari

"RickSean" <RickSean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F
894567-0768-428F-AD99-5A3B1A97DB28@microsoft.com...
>I hae a stored procedure that has been running for over 9 hours; I see a
> green rolling wheel and the status as 'Executing Query'
> I tried to get some info in Activity Monitor but couldn't find any info on
> this process; where do i go to check what is going on with this sp?

masri999

On Mar 16, 4:37 am, RickSean <RickS...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I hae a stored procedure that has been running for over 9 hours; I see a
> green rolling wheel and the status as 'Executing Query'
> I tried to get some info in Activity Monitor but couldn't find any info on
> this process; where do i go to check what is going on with this sp?

You may have to check the SP for missing where clause or in a
infinite loop

RickSean

The SP works fine against a smaller database but it continuously runs for a
large database.

"M A Srinivas" wrote:

> On Mar 16, 4:37 am, RickSean <RickS...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > I hae a stored procedure that has been running for over 9 hours; I see a
> > green rolling wheel and the status as 'Executing Query'
> > I tried to get some info in Activity Monitor but couldn't find any info on
> > this process; where do i go to check what is going on with this sp?
>
> You may have to check the SP for missing where clause or in a
> infinite loop

JXStern

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 06:26:08 -0700, RickSean
<RickSean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The SP works fine against a smaller database but it continuously runs for a
>large database.

Can easily happen for a dozen reasons, the same code may generate a
very different plan when given different data and statistics, you
probably have to do a lot more physical IO for large data, you may be
exceeding RAM on some intermediate processing with slows things a
*lot*, missing indexes can be no problem for small data and big
problems on big data, the small data may not have all relationships so
some (slow) data paths may not have been noticed, ...

Turn on profiler and maybe you can see something. Check the current
locks, maybe that will suggest something.

J.