BeeJ

2/7/2012 1:30:00 AM

Password Locker
Just tossing around a few ideas for a password locker. (getting bored
with what I am now working on now and looking for a little change and
challenge)
I want a single file that can be passed around to different PCs and
stored on a network storage or on a PC.

Suggestions on what might be "best" as you define it.

In general use a listview for display since it allows the most
flexibility.
Columns (e.g.): link, username, password, hints, notes etc...

save/load listview to disk. can do.
editable listview cells. can do.

My thoughts are for these different structures:
1) from withing VB6 app encrypt using external WinZip or other e.g.
7-Zip. can do.

2) encrypt using MS encryption within VB app. can do.
I can do file encryption (OK) no problem but not sure if I can fgure
out in-memory encryption (better) before writing to file.

3) use simple encryption within VB6 app. can do.

4) other ???

Suggestions please.

7 Answers

JensB

BeeJ has brought this to us :
> Password Locker
> Just tossing around a few ideas for a password locker. (getting bored with
> what I am now working on now and looking for a little change and challenge)
> I want a single file that can be passed around to different PCs and stored on
> a network storage or on a PC.

Are you talking about a single file that will contain both the
encrypted data and the application?

--
Michael Cole

BeeJ

Michael Cole submitted this idea :
> BeeJ has brought this to us :
>> Password Locker
>> Just tossing around a few ideas for a password locker. (getting bored with
>> what I am now working on now and looking for a little change and challenge)
>> I want a single file that can be passed around to different PCs and stored
>> on a network storage or on a PC.
>
> Are you talking about a single file that will contain both the encrypted data
> and the application?

Not necessarily but that could be one option.

GS

BeeJ submitted this idea :
> Password Locker
> Just tossing around a few ideas for a password locker. (getting bored with
> what I am now working on now and looking for a little change and challenge)
> I want a single file that can be passed around to different PCs and stored on
> a network storage or on a PC.
>
> Suggestions on what might be "best" as you define it.
>
> In general use a listview for display since it allows the most flexibility.
> Columns (e.g.): link, username, password, hints, notes etc...
>
> save/load listview to disk. can do.
> editable listview cells. can do.
>
> My thoughts are for these different structures:
> 1) from withing VB6 app encrypt using external WinZip or other e.g. 7-Zip.
> can do.
>
> 2) encrypt using MS encryption within VB app. can do.
> I can do file encryption (OK) no problem but not sure if I can fgure out
> in-memory encryption (better) before writing to file.
>
> 3) use simple encryption within VB6 app. can do.
>
> 4) other ???
>
> Suggestions please.

Encryption is a good idea. I use a 'Encrypt_StringToFile' and/or
'Decrypt_FileToString' procedure for this. I mostly just store the
string in memory (via an array) during runtime. I don't use fileview
because I find a multi-column listbox easier for display (if needed).

The file is a simple plain text that's encrypted plus encoded Base64 so
it's e-friendly. This can be stored on a network share and read in by
each running instance of an app at startup. Most common use for this is
to facilitate restricted features in apps that are not to be accessed
by unauthorized personnel.

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-sep...

Tony Toews

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 17:29:38 -0800, BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote:

>Password Locker

Sounds very much like the open source program KeePass.

Tony

Jimekus

On Feb 8, 7:25 am, Tony Toews <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 17:29:38 -0800, BeeJ <nos...@spamnot.com> wrote:
> >Password Locker
>
> Sounds very much like the open source program KeePass.
>
> Tony

Isn't this a bit like IBM's Watson? Originally designed to look like
IBM's patent database, it is now being tuned to read the low down on
the very same database that it was created from. I know this because
of a job offer not long ago on comp.neuro.

BeeJ, what you need is to find an unfinished cloud system that is
looking for an unfinished password locker and vice-versa. I may just
know what you need, because my own outstanding ManyChat label reads
"Host: ( Migration Not Working)".

I'm mostly there after putting in a couple IRC robots and I have
mastered the authentication needed. Via a most elegant algorithmic
sweet-spot, the concept of strange loops in vector space has emerged.

A highly modified Principal Component Analysis lies at the heart of my
Cloud solution. After reading its complete source code, it is my
hypothesis that my 'strange loops" can replace the hard tests in
Bitcoin. In desiring a monolithic harmonic beat-mixing studio, I have
left nothing out, that VB6 can interface to.

I once wrote a parody of the OSPF protocol using my single delta-file
encrypted xml file structure. search for grid22.ing

MikeB

Sounds a lot like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r...

"Jimekus" <jimekus@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Feb 8, 7:25 am, Tony Toews <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 17:29:38 -0800, BeeJ <nos...@spamnot.com> wrote:
> >Password Locker
>
> Sounds very much like the open source program KeePass.
>
> Tony

Isn't this a bit like IBM's Watson? Originally designed to look like
IBM's patent database, it is now being tuned to read the low down on
the very same database that it was created from. I know this because
of a job offer not long ago on comp.neuro.

BeeJ, what you need is to find an unfinished cloud system that is
looking for an unfinished password locker and vice-versa. I may just
know what you need, because my own outstanding ManyChat label reads
"Host: ( Migration Not Working)".

I'm mostly there after putting in a couple IRC robots and I have
mastered the authentication needed. Via a most elegant algorithmic
sweet-spot, the concept of strange loops in vector space has emerged.

A highly modified Principal Component Analysis lies at the heart of my
Cloud solution. After reading its complete source code, it is my
hypothesis that my 'strange loops" can replace the hard tests in
Bitcoin. In desiring a monolithic harmonic beat-mixing studio, I have
left nothing out, that VB6 can interface to.

I once wrote a parody of the OSPF protocol using my single delta-file
encrypted xml file structure. search for grid22.ing

BeeJ

It happens that MikeB formulated :
> Sounds a lot like:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r...
>

> "Jimekus" <jimekus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Feb 8, 7:25 am, Tony Toews <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 17:29:38 -0800, BeeJ <nos...@spamnot.com> wrote:
>> >Password Locker
>>
>> Sounds very much like the open source program KeePass.
>>
>> Tony
>
> Isn't this a bit like IBM's Watson? Originally designed to look like
> IBM's patent database, it is now being tuned to read the low down on
> the very same database that it was created from. I know this because
> of a job offer not long ago on comp.neuro.
>
> BeeJ, what you need is to find an unfinished cloud system that is
> looking for an unfinished password locker and vice-versa. I may just
> know what you need, because my own outstanding ManyChat label reads
> "Host: ( Migration Not Working)".
>
> I'm mostly there after putting in a couple IRC robots and I have
> mastered the authentication needed. Via a most elegant algorithmic
> sweet-spot, the concept of strange loops in vector space has emerged.
>
> A highly modified Principal Component Analysis lies at the heart of my
> Cloud solution. After reading its complete source code, it is my
> hypothesis that my 'strange loops" can replace the hard tests in
> Bitcoin. In desiring a monolithic harmonic beat-mixing studio, I have
> left nothing out, that VB6 can interface to.
>
> I once wrote a parody of the OSPF protocol using my single delta-file
> encrypted xml file structure. search for grid22.ing

My non-disclosure agreement has expired so it is OK for me to let you
know that I was involved in manufacturing these. They were overpriced
and had high failure rates. We switched to framistats and made a
fortune.