tshad

3/15/2007 5:04:00 PM

I am trying to find out the best way of handling multiple Web Applications
and Databases.

At the moment I put all my tables into one database. But my boss wants me
to split out the different databases by Web Application.

This would solve a some problems. One being the ability to only allow our
outsourcers that we use to help us develop our Web Apps to see the files and
SPs that relate to their particular Web App. I found that if they used EM,
they could see all the tables in the database as well as the structures and
the text of the SPs. We could prevent them from seeing or modifying the
data only. This was a bit of a problem.

This would also create some problems. That being lookup tables that are
common across all the Applications such as our Country and ZipCode tables.
Or logon tables. This would force us to either create multiple tables in
each database or create more complicated Stored Procedures to access the
different tables from the different databases. For example: We could have
client information in our "Retail" database and have logon, company and
zipcode information in our "Company" database. If we were to get vendor
information to display on our report, we would need to join the vendor table
from our "Retail" database with the logon, company and ZipCode from our
"Company" database.

We would have problems with UserDefinedData Types as well as UserDefined
Functions that we have built in our "Company" database. Do we need to
recreate them again in the other database or can we - easily - use them from
the these databases?

Thanks,

Tom