microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Mac Finder control for VB.NET

MG

1/24/2012 9:04:00 PM

Hello All,
I have a requirement for a new application development where I must
present some information to the user for selection via drag and drop.
VB offers the TreeView control which would work nice, however the user
does not like the Treeview control's presentation. The user wants a
control that work similar to the Mac's Finder control while in column
view.

Does anyone know of a control for VB.NET that work similar to the
Mac's Finder control?

Thanks
Mike
9 Answers

Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB]

--
[Canned response]

This is a VB "classic" newsgroup. Questions about VB.NET (including VB
2005/2008 and VB Express, which have dropped .NET from their names) are
off-topic here.

Please ask .NET questions in newsgroups with "dotnet" in their names. The
*.vb.* groups are for VB6 and earlier. If you don't see the *.dotnet.*
groups on your news server, try this one:

http://eternal-sep...

For questions specific to the VB.NET language, use this group:

microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

Please note that things like controls and data access, which have their own
subgroups in the Classic VB hierarchy, are not language-specific in .NET, so
you should look for groups like these:

microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms.controls
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet

(Note that "vb" is not present in the group name.)

Dee Earley

On 24/01/2012 21:54, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> "MG"<mgisonda@si.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>> Does anyone know of a control for VB.NET that work similar to the
>> Mac's Finder control?

You may have more luck describing the operation rather than "like App XYZ"
(And what Jeff said)

--
Deanna Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

Bradipus

Anthony Buckland 00:28, mercoled? 23 luglio 2014:

> 2. So supersonic air travel becomes much more successful than
> in OTL. But would the economics ever allow it to become more
> than a niche product for the well-heeled? ?For the business
> traveler, the delays involved in getting on and off the
> planes might make it no more than competitive with subsonic
> charter and company planes with fast access (as in OTL). ?For
> the economy traveler, the cost of fuel and the low passenger
> capacity would surely put it out of reach. ?But I guess that
> kind of argument was made when the choices were piston
> aircraft and trains, and look where we ended up. :)

I think supersonic air travel could only be interesting on long
and very long routes.

Compare with fast trains.

--
Bradipus

Anthony Buckland

On 22/07/2014 9:59 PM, Allen W. McDonnell wrote:

>> 1. Is there a connection to McDonnell Douglas?
>>
>> 2. So supersonic air travel becomes much more successful than in OTL.
>> But would the economics ever allow it to become more than
>> a niche product for the well-heeled? For the business traveler,
>> the delays involved in getting on and off the planes might make
>> it no more than competitive with subsonic charter and company
>> planes with fast access (as in OTL). For the economy traveler,
>> the cost of fuel and the low passenger capacity would surely
>> put it out of reach. But I guess that kind of argument was made
>> when the choices were piston aircraft and trains, and look where
>> we ended up. :)
>
> The way I understand it McDonnell Douglas was seen by the USAF as ...

I asked question 1. only because of the OP's family
name and the flavor of his posting, indicating
a possibly insider's enthusiasm and knowledge. :)

Rich Rostrom

"Allen W. McDonnell" <Tanada@peakoil.com> wrote:

> It really is a shame our side can not even play well
> with other members of our side LOL.

"The Soviets are the _adversary_. The Navy is the _enemy_."
--
The real Velvet Revolution - and the would-be hijacker.

http://originalvelvetrevo...

Allen W. McDonnell

> I asked question 1. only because of the OP's family
> name and the flavor of his posting, indicating
> a possibly insider's enthusiasm and knowledge. :)

Sadly John McDonnell is not in my immediate family tree, if he were I would
have had a different life experience ;) Both my father and Uncle had
private pilot licenses after World War II for a while, but owning a plane is
an expensive hobby and neither of them could ever afford it. Having
acrophobia myself becoming a pilot was not something I ever wanted to do :)

The Horny Goat

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 15:22:47 -0400, "Allen W. McDonnell"
<Tanada@peakoil.com> wrote:

>Sadly John McDonnell is not in my immediate family tree, if he were I would
>have had a different life experience ;) Both my father and Uncle had
>private pilot licenses after World War II for a while, but owning a plane is
>an expensive hobby and neither of them could ever afford it. Having
>acrophobia myself becoming a pilot was not something I ever wanted to do :)

Reminds me of what Bob Dole said when he was running for president and
somebody asked him if he was related to the pineapple Doles. He said
"do you really think I'd be doing all these fundraising dinners if I
was?"

Remus

On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:18:55 PM UTC-7, Bradipus wrote:
> Anthony Buckland 00:28, mercoled? 23 luglio 2014:
>
> > 2. So supersonic air travel becomes much more successful than
> > in OTL. But would the economics ever allow it to become more
> > than a niche product for the well-heeled? ?For the business
> > traveler, the delays involved in getting on and off the
> > planes might make it no more than competitive with subsonic
> > charter and company planes with fast access (as in OTL). ?For
> > the economy traveler, the cost of fuel and the low passenger
> > capacity would surely put it out of reach. ?But I guess that
> > kind of argument was made when the choices were piston
> > aircraft and trains, and look where we ended up. :)
>
> I think supersonic air travel could only be interesting on long
> and very long routes.
>
> Compare with fast trains.
>
> Bradipus

That produces a basic question.

1 Would they have produced 200 seat and
500 seat SST planes by now if Concorde had
been more successful?

2 Would they have made ones that have a range
of 15000 or 20000 km?

Concord didn't look like it was vastly more
expensive than other planes but it did have
only a hundred seats.

Allen W. McDonnell

>That produces a basic question.
>
>1 Would they have produced 200 seat and
>500 seat SST planes by now if Concorde had
>been more successful?
>
>2 Would they have made ones that have a range
>of 15000 or 20000 km?
>
>Concord didn't look like it was vastly more
>expensive than other planes but it did have
>only a hundred seats.

Boeings final 2707 design was a 250-300 seat aircraft but when federal
development funds were cut they decided not to go ahead with the prototypes.
When the USA passed a federal law that supersonic flight over land was
illegal Concorde had nearly 100 aircraft orders cancelled. Only the orders
from British Airways and Air France were completed, and because there were
so few units the individual cost was huge.

In this ATL the supersonic corridor system eliminated the push for a ban on
supersonic flight over the USA, so the orders from Eastern, American,
United, Pan Am and others would not have been cancelled because of the ban.
That change plus the USA keeping the funding for the 2707 going through the
1970's would have lead to many more aircraft being built and used. That in
turn would lead people to figure out the most economical method of using the
new types of passenger aircraft for the greatest profit return.