microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Any update on Windows 8 as to whether VB6 runtime will be supported?

(Mike Mitchell)

1/22/2012 6:33:00 PM

Last I heard it would not be supported.

MM
102 Answers

jat

On 06/17/2011 04:09 PM, TORREBLANCA? wrote:
> On 17 jun, 15:08, jat<j...@none.null> wrote:
>> On 06/17/2011 02:22 PM, ljsprojects wrote:
>>

> Dos amigos se encuentran despu?s de 10 a?os, y luego de hablar por un
> rato, uno le pregunta al otro:
> ?Te acuerdas de Clemencia, la tipa altota?
> Claro que s?. ?C?mo no me voy a acordar, ?si yo a ella le daba por el
> culo!
> El otro muy serio responde: Clemencia es mi esposa desde hace cinco
> a?os...
> El amigo se queda p?lido y agrega...
>
> Bueno, ahora que ya crec? ya le debo dar por el hombro...

Funny, Really funny :-D

--
/jat
Knowledge shall make you free

jat

On 06/17/2011 04:26 PM, ljsprojects wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2:39 pm, TORREBLANCA?<donquicove...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 17 jun, 15:08, jat<j...@none.null> wrote:
>>
>>> On 06/17/2011 02:22 PM, ljsprojects wrote:
>>
>> Dos amigos se encuentran despu?s de 10 a?os, y luego de hablar por un
>> rato, uno le pregunta al otro:
>> ?Te acuerdas de Clemencia, la tipa altota?
>> Claro que s?. ?C?mo no me voy a acordar, ?si yo a ella le daba por el
>> culo!
>> El otro muy serio responde: Clemencia es mi esposa desde hace cinco
>> a?os...
>> El amigo se queda p?lido y agrega...
>>
>> Bueno, ahora que ya crec? ya le debo dar por el hombro...
>
> Muy bueno, cada dia te estimo mas.
> A ver si ahora te vuelves chavista.
>
> T.Schmidt

Yo creo que quiere ser chavista... - Solo le falta un empuj?n... ;-)
--
/jat
Knowledge shall make you free
El conocimiento te har? libre

tschmidtundert

On 06/17/2011 08:53 PM, ljsprojects wrote:
> On Jun 17, 3:05 pm, jat<j...@none.null> wrote:

>>> Muy bueno, cada dia te estimo mas.
>>> A ver si ahora te vuelves chavista.
>>
>>> T.Schmidt
>>
>> Yo creo que quiere ser chavista... - Solo le falta un empuj?n... ;-)
>> --
>> /jat
>> Knowledge shall make you free
>> El conocimiento te har? libre
>
> No se ha metido a chavista porque los chavistas no dan el culo a
> nadie.
> Para alguien con trasero bidireccional eso exige un reajuste de
> prioridades, que va a llevar tiempo
> Debe ser como una puta meterse a monja. Es posible, pero muy dificil y
> necesita un profundo reajuste de valores.
>
> T.Schmidt
> P.S. Me contaron que una monjita exalumna mia se murio porque no tenia
> cura.
No tenia cura que le hiciese el trabajo? ;-)

--

On Jun 17, 7:38 pm, jat <j...@none.null> wrote:
> On 06/17/2011 08:53 PM, ljsprojects wrote:

> >> Yo creo que quiere ser chavista... - Solo le falta un empujón... ;-)
> >> --
> >> /jat
> >> Knowledge shall make you free
> >> El conocimiento te hará libre
>
> > No se ha metido a chavista porque los chavistas no dan el culo a
> > nadie.
> > Para alguien con trasero bidireccional eso exige un reajuste de
> > prioridades, que va a llevar tiempo
> > Debe ser como una puta meterse a monja. Es posible, pero muy dificil y
> > necesita un profundo reajuste de valores.
>
> > T.Schmidt
> > P.S. Me contaron que una monjita exalumna mia se murio porque no tenia
> > cura.
>
> No tenia cura que le hiciese el trabajo? ;-)
>
> --
> /jat
> Knowledge shall make you free
> El conocimiento te hará libre

Eso no lo se. Solo me dijeron que murio porque no tenia cura.
Tengo otra monjita muy linda y devota que pertencia al Opus Dei, que
murio de cancer de ovario a los 52 años. En mi opinon murio virgen.
Por qué le tuvo que suceder a ella?

T.Schmidt

ralph

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 18:32:31 +0000, MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Last I heard it would not be supported.

Until it is released there will be NO definitive answer.

Where did you hear it would NOT be supported? AFAIK all Microsoft has
said so far is "there are no plans to include VB6 runtime in future
versions of Windows beyond Windows 7".

But what does that really mean?
Will they have a plan later, just not now?
Will all applications that have a dependency on the VBRuntime no
longer run on Windows 8?
Will developers simply need to include it themselves? (Like they do
for other components no longer included with Windows 7.)
We know they are no longer "supporting" the VBRuntime with updates,
etc. with Windows 7, yet VB Applications still run.

There is also a rumor Windows 8 will be released as 64-bit only. What
does that mean for all 32-bit apps?

IMHO, It is a total waste of time to try and determine what MS might
do with an essentially deprecated toolset on future O/Ss until that
O/S is released and one can test.

-ralph

GS

ralph used his keyboard to write :
> On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 18:32:31 +0000, MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Last I heard it would not be supported.
>>

> Until it is released there will be NO definitive answer.
>
> Where did you hear it would NOT be supported? AFAIK all Microsoft has
> said so far is "there are no plans to include VB6 runtime in future
> versions of Windows beyond Windows 7".
>
> But what does that really mean?
> Will they have a plan later, just not now?
> Will all applications that have a dependency on the VBRuntime no
> longer run on Windows 8?
> Will developers simply need to include it themselves? (Like they do
> for other components no longer included with Windows 7.)

Is this legal? It certainly would be easy for us to carry on if there's
no reason we can't redistribute the VB runtime!

> We know they are no longer "supporting" the VBRuntime with updates,
> etc. with Windows 7, yet VB Applications still run.

Who cares! As long as the runtime we use works I don't care if MS
offers future support for it. I'd be wary if they did since "it aint
broke" as is...

> There is also a rumor Windows 8 will be released as 64-bit only. What
> does that mean for all 32-bit apps?

WOW64, maybe???

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-sep...

ralph

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 17:03:21 -0500, GS <gs@somewhere.net> wrote:

>ralph used his keyboard to write :
>> On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 18:32:31 +0000, MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Last I heard it would not be supported.
>>>

>> Until it is released there will be NO definitive answer.
>>
>> Where did you hear it would NOT be supported? AFAIK all Microsoft has
>> said so far is "there are no plans to include VB6 runtime in future
>> versions of Windows beyond Windows 7".
>>
>> But what does that really mean?
>> Will they have a plan later, just not now?
>> Will all applications that have a dependency on the VBRuntime no
>> longer run on Windows 8?
>> Will developers simply need to include it themselves? (Like they do
>> for other components no longer included with Windows 7.)
>
>Is this legal? It certainly would be easy for us to carry on if there's
>no reason we can't redistribute the VB runtime!
>
>> We know they are no longer "supporting" the VBRuntime with updates,
>> etc. with Windows 7, yet VB Applications still run.
>
>Who cares! As long as the runtime we use works I don't care if MS
>offers future support for it. I'd be wary if they did since "it aint
>broke" as is...
>

>> There is also a rumor Windows 8 will be released as 64-bit only. What
>> does that mean for all 32-bit apps?
>
>WOW64, maybe???

Most of my questions were meant to be rhetorical if not satirical.

It is hard to imagine a new Windows O/S for a PC that wouldn't allow
32-bit applications to run. It is even harder to imagine that they
would some how target applications developed by a specific platform to
not run.

But who knows? I for one never suspected MS would completely abandon
VB - even though I was more or less on the "inside" at the time, had
all the evidence right in front of me, and heard them specifically say
it several times. (Yeah, I was that dense. <g>)

We'll see what we will see, but we won't see until we have something
to see. Or whatever I am trying to say. <bg>

-ralph

Mayayana

| We'll see what we will see, but we won't see until we have something
| to see. Or whatever I am trying to say. <bg>

It's interesting to watch things develop. I was
reading up on the Metro programming options today.
It's somewhat vague, but it looks like MS isn't so
much planning to shut out VB as they're hoping to
"deprecate" compiled code altogether, while controlling
Metro software and taking a cut of sales. That's
*conceivable* on phones -- and tablets, if that craze
lasts long enough -- but the Metro/PC thing seems
awfully fatfetched to me.

I saw some sort of infomercial show on TV the other
day. I think it was called something like Gadget Girlz.
They were showing off a PC, standing on a counter,
with touch; attempting to portray it as an obvious,
major improvement over using a mouse. I was thinking
WebTV with sore shoulders (from holding one's arms in
the air).

The touch/app craze seems to be even more profit-
driven -- and more unrealistic -- than the cloud craze.