microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

ActiveX registration issue

avi

1/14/2012 9:17:00 AM

Hello,

I have 2 applications (dll) thet use the same component (ActiveX).
When I uninstall one of the applications , I get an error regarding
the ActiveX in the 2nd application as it looks that it has been
uninstalled/unregistered .

Is there a way to overcome the issue?

Best regards
Avi
2 Answers

ralph

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 01:16:39 -0800 (PST), avi <aviben@bezeqint.net.il>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have 2 applications (dll) thet use the same component (ActiveX).
>When I uninstall one of the applications , I get an error regarding
>the ActiveX in the 2nd application as it looks that it has been
>uninstalled/unregistered .
>
>Is there a way to overcome the issue?

Probably need a tad more information, as the cause of the error seems
obvious. (Might just be terminology.)

A "dll" is not an "application". It is a "linked-library", or "ActiveX
Component". So you have three "components".

It's ok to include several components within one install packages. But
You probably need to register each separately and marked the one as
"shared".

-ralph

Jim Archer

Sounds like your installer isn't setting the "in use" count value in the
registry for that component. Another term for this is "shared". Everytime you
install a "shared component" (one that might be used by other software), it
increments a value in the registry for it, so when another program tries to
unistall it (and it's written correctly), it will deincrement the value and
leave that component available for other software.

Another way to overcome this issue, is to use a special manifest file
(Side-by-Side Manifest or SxS) and isolate your components so no other software
or uninstaller can touch them. It takes more space on the drive, but it also
helps with "DLL hell" when different DLL/OCX versions are installed later that
may be incompatible with your software.

Creating these manifest files by hand are almost impossible, but there's a
great, free and open source version of SxS available and it works like a dream.
It's called Make My Manifest and is available here: http://mmm4vb6...

Jim

> Hello,
>
> I have 2 applications (dll) thet use the same component (ActiveX).
> When I uninstall one of the applications , I get an error regarding
> the ActiveX in the 2nd application as it looks that it has been
> uninstalled/unregistered .
>
> Is there a way to overcome the issue?
>
> Best regards
> Avi