microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Registering An App.EXE The Hard Way

BeeJ

1/7/2012 1:29:00 AM

So now the question is will this always work on XP and Win7 of am I in
a permissions mess? If so clues to a solution please.
The following all works fine on my XP Pro development PC but ...

I decided to do the following in the VB6 code
if not App.EXE exists
copy App.exe to C:\Program Files\APPFolder\App.EXE

add a registry entry
appropriate reg section ...
appropriate reg value "C:\Program Files\APPFolder\App.EXE" "%1"

P.S. this App.EXE is only run by my code so I guess I could just as
well load it under my main app. Less permissions troubles?

I am using Shell within my main app to run the App.EXE with a string of
command line parameters.

As I said it all works OK on my development PC.