microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Receive gmails mails in vb 6.0

SACHIN GUPTA

1/6/2012 9:31:00 AM

I looked around and didn't really find what I was looking for, so
hopefully someone here can help.
What I want to do is push a button in VB app which download all the
Emails(INBOX,SPAM) from gmail account to my software.
4 Answers

Dee Earley

On 06/01/2012 09:30, SACHIN GUPTA wrote:
> I looked around and didn't really find what I was looking for, so
> hopefully someone here can help.
> What I want to do is push a button in VB app which download all the
> Emails(INBOX,SPAM) from gmail account to my software.

Your best bet is to look at using the POP or IMAP protocols to download
the mail.
There are many existing libraries that implement these protocols or you
can just use a normal socket control and talk to the server yourself.

--
Deanna Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

SACHIN GUPTA

On Jan 6, 3:41 pm, Deanna Earley <dee.ear...@icode.co.uk> wrote:
> On 06/01/2012 09:30, SACHIN GUPTA wrote:
>
> > I looked around and didn't really find what I was looking for, so
> > hopefully someone here can help.
> > What I want to do is push a button in VB app which download all the
> > Emails(INBOX,SPAM) from gmail account to my software.
>
> Your best bet is to look at using the POP or IMAP protocols to download
> the mail.
> There are many existing libraries that implement these protocols or you
> can just use a normal socket control and talk to the server yourself.
>
> --
> Deanna Earley (dee.ear...@icode.co.uk)
> i-Catcher Development Teamhttp://www.icode.co.uk...
>
> iCode Systems
>
> (Replies direct to my email address will be ignored.
> Please reply to the group.)

Can you tell me about the libraries that implement these protocols or
how the normal socket control communicate with pop or imap server
which uses SSl.

Mayayana

First you'd need to set up the POP3 functionality.
Then you'd need to handle the SSL aspect. The library
for the server conversation is the winsock library. But that
only allows you to communicate. You have to know how the
POP3 conversation works. And once you know that you
have to also know how the encryption "handshake" works,
as well as the encryption.

It sounds like what you really want is a control that will
do the work for you. In that case you're not likely to find
much help here. You need to go shopping. If you want
to write the code I'd start with planetsourcecode.com and
maybe freevbcode.com. And be prepared for possibly having
to be the first to code SSL functionality in VB.

Strangely, there has never been a lot of network functionality
built into VB. There's nothing like an email control. There is a
winsock control but like many things in VB, it doesn't make
the functionality easier; it only hides awkward data types
and awkward operations.

--
"SACHIN GUPTA" <sachingupta4581@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jan 6, 3:41 pm, Deanna Earley <dee.ear...@icode.co.uk> wrote:
> On 06/01/2012 09:30, SACHIN GUPTA wrote:
>
> > I looked around and didn't really find what I was looking for, so
> > hopefully someone here can help.
> > What I want to do is push a button in VB app which download all the
> > Emails(INBOX,SPAM) from gmail account to my software.
>
> Your best bet is to look at using the POP or IMAP protocols to download
> the mail.
> There are many existing libraries that implement these protocols or you
> can just use a normal socket control and talk to the server yourself.
>
> --
> Deanna Earley (dee.ear...@icode.co.uk)
> i-Catcher Development Teamhttp://www.icode.co.uk...
>
> iCode Systems
>
> (Replies direct to my email address will be ignored.
> Please reply to the group.)

Can you tell me about the libraries that implement these protocols or
how the normal socket control communicate with pop or imap server
which uses SSl.

Jimekus

On Jan 8, 3:11 am, "Mayayana" <mayay...@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>   First you'd need to set up the POP3 functionality.
> Then you'd need to handle the SSL aspect. The library
> for the server conversation is the winsock library. But that
> only allows you to communicate. You have to know how the
> POP3 conversation works. And once you know that you
> have to also know how the encryption "handshake" works,
> as well as the encryption.
>
>   It sounds like what you really want is a control that will
> do the work for you. In that case you're not likely to find
> much help here. You need to go shopping. If you want
> to write the code I'd start with planetsourcecode.com and
> maybe freevbcode.com. And be prepared for possibly having
> to be the first to code SSL functionality in VB.
>
>   Strangely, there has never been a lot of network functionality
> built into VB. There's nothing like an email control. There is a
> winsock control but like many things in VB, it doesn't make
> the functionality easier; it only hides awkward data types
> and awkward operations.
>
> --"SACHIN GUPTA" <sachingupta4...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Jan 6, 3:41 pm, Deanna Earley <dee.ear...@icode.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > On 06/01/2012 09:30, SACHIN GUPTA wrote:
>
> > > I looked around and didn't really find what I was looking for, so
> > > hopefully someone here can help.
> > > What I want to do is push a button in VB app which download all the
> > > Emails(INBOX,SPAM) from gmail account to my software.
>
> > Your best bet is to look at using the POP or IMAP protocols to download
> > the mail.
> > There are many existing libraries that implement these protocols or you
> > can just use a normal socket control and talk to the server yourself.
>
> > --
> > Deanna Earley (dee.ear...@icode.co.uk)
> > i-Catcher Development Teamhttp://www.icode.co.uk...
>
> > iCode Systems
>
> > (Replies direct to my email address will be ignored.
> > Please reply to the group.)
>
> Can you tell me about the libraries that implement these protocols or
> how the normal socket control communicate with pop or imap server
> which uses SSl.

A search for the terms 'gmail api vb6" didn't turn up much but I saw a
few libraries that you may be able to integrate. Google provide a way
to turn email into a feed source, so if you could duplicate a
newsreader then you could get the data easily enough. However,
managing the gmail, so as to delete the storage etc., may best be done
by controlling an email client from within VB6.

It depends on what you want to do with the content. If you just want
to remotely use your home PC to clear the queue so your smartphone
uses less bandwidth, that's one thing. To use the email content to
generate answers is quite another.