BeeJ

1/6/2012 6:01:00 AM

I have a command line EXE app, App.exe, that I want to have registered.
There is no installer for it.
Double clicking it does not register it.
Using Regsvr32 does not register it.

It needs to appear in the registry

SectionKey = "Applications\App.exe\shell\open\command"

and the "value" giving the full path

Value = C:\PROGRA~1\APPFOLDER\App.exe "%1"

How do I accomplish this in VB6?

10 Answers

Wolfgang Enzinger

BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote:

>I have a command line EXE app, App.exe, that I want to have registered.
>There is no installer for it.
>Double clicking it does not register it.
>Using Regsvr32 does not register it.
>
>It needs to appear in the registry
>
> SectionKey = "Applications\App.exe\shell\open\command"
>
>and the "value" giving the full path
>
> Value = C:\PROGRA~1\APPFOLDER\App.exe "%1"
>
>How do I accomplish this in VB6?

That sounds like you don't need to register the EXE (as would be the case with
an ActiveX EXE), but you need to register a file extension with your app.

Right? If so, see if this helps:
http://www.enzinger.net/en/Fil...

Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB]

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message

>I have a command line EXE app, App.exe, that I want to have registered.

No, you want to "associate files."

BeeJ

Jeff Johnson presented the following explanation :
> "BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have a command line EXE app, App.exe, that I want to have registered.
>
> No, you want to "associate files."

No, neither. (DN?)

Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB]

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message

>I have a command line EXE app, App.exe, that I want to have registered.
> There is no installer for it.
> Double clicking it does not register it.
> Using Regsvr32 does not register it.
>
> It needs to appear in the registry
>
> SectionKey = "Applications\App.exe\shell\open\command"
>
> and the "value" giving the full path
>
> Value = C:\PROGRA~1\APPFOLDER\App.exe "%1"
>
> How do I accomplish this in VB6?

What is it you're trying to accomplish? And don't say, "I'm trying to
register my .exe."

ralph

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 17:27:42 -0800, BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote:

>Jeff Johnson presented the following explanation :
>> "BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have a command line EXE app, App.exe, that I want to have registered.
>>
>> No, you want to "associate files."
>
>No, neither. (DN?)

Well it certainly looks like a good imitation if you aren't. <g>

Considering it is always best to ask permission before doing this, and
you will need permission to perform the registration, why not simply
create a .REG file then offer the user the opportunity to run it?
(Lots of ways to mechanically set this up.)

-ralph

BeeJ

It happens that ralph formulated :
> On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 17:27:42 -0800, BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote:
>
>> Jeff Johnson presented the following explanation :
>>> "BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message

>>> No, you want to "associate files."
>>
>> No, neither. (DN?)
>>

> Well it certainly looks like a good imitation if you aren't. <g>
>
> Considering it is always best to ask permission before doing this, and
> you will need permission to perform the registration, why not simply
> create a .REG file then offer the user the opportunity to run it?
> (Lots of ways to mechanically set this up.)
>
> -ralph

From the registry requirement I though it was clear that I wanted the
App.EXE to be "registered" as if it had been installed by a "setup" or
installer.

This is NOT an ActiveX exe in that it does not "register" like an
ActiveX EXE registers.

It is an app with no GUI.
When started with a shell command with parameters, it goes off and does
what it is told silently.

anyway, if you read the other post you would see that I have added code
to my main app to install the needed regestry entries.

It all works but is there not some "system" method to do this like
regsvr32 does for other types?

BeeJ

Jeff Johnson expressed precisely :
> "BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have a command line EXE app, App.exe, that I want to have registered.
>> There is no installer for it.
>> Double clicking it does not register it.
>> Using Regsvr32 does not register it.
>>
>> It needs to appear in the registry
>>
>> SectionKey = "Applications\App.exe\shell\open\command"
>>
>> and the "value" giving the full path
>>
>> Value = C:\PROGRA~1\APPFOLDER\App.exe "%1"
>>
>> How do I accomplish this in VB6?
>
> What is it you're trying to accomplish? And don't say, "I'm trying to
> register my .exe."

Not mine. There is no setup provided for it. It is not needed BUT, i
would like it to look as it a setup or installer set it up so it could
be located as other installed apps are located, through a registry
entry as I suggested earlier.

> From the registry requirement I though it was clear that I wanted the
> App.EXE to be "registered" as if it had been installed by a "setup" or
> installer.

Educate me. What is the point of this? How is it used?

> This is NOT an ActiveX exe in that it does not "register" like an ActiveX
> EXE registers.
>
> It is an app with no GUI.
> When started with a shell command with parameters, it goes off and does
> what it is told silently.
>
> anyway, if you read the other post you would see that I have added code to
> my main app to install the needed regestry entries.
>
> It all works but is there not some "system" method to do this like
> regsvr32 does for other types?

Doubtful.

James Tyler

just do another setup for your app.

Thorsten Albers

BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> schrieb im Beitrag
<jeijp2$kla$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> It all works but is there not some "system" method to do this like
> regsvr32 does for other types?

Write an INF setup script file for the application.

--
Thorsten Albers

gudea at gmx.de