BeeJ

1/3/2012 10:37:00 PM

My large app that has several ActiveX EXEs and many Windows resources
runs (.ocx etc) and runs fine in both the IDE and as an EXE on the
development PC.
BUT, when I do what I think is a proper install on a "clean" Win XP
machine all I get is a Beep and nothing more when I double click the
..EXE.

So VB6 or Windows or what? puts lots of startup checks in the .EXE that
run way before the first line of my VB6 source code is executed. i.e.
I cannot test for what is failing to either be there or whatever.

(1)What is being checked that would cause this failure before the VB6
code runs?

(2)Is there some way to diagnose this without resorting to assembly
language debugging?

Background.
The PDW generates an install package.
I use InnoScript to generate the script that goes into InnoSetup.
InnoSetup creates the install .EXE.

The install on the "clean" PC goes without problems.

(3) is it better for InnoScript to work with the .PDW list or the .VBP
to generate the script?

I think I have checked that all required .ocx ActiveX EXE etc have been
included in the install package.

(4) is there a way with some app to generate a dependency (see all
required .ocx, etc)list from the .EXE that is created on the
development PC?

Yes, after I poll all of you, I will ask the InnoScript forum about the
InnoScript specific questions too but you may have had similar
situations.

I need to investigate the option of created a symbol table from the IDE
compile but not sure about all of that and what to expect that might
help decipher the situation.

Any clues or solutions appreciated.

10 Answers

GS

Does your Inno script register those OCXs? Apps that ref them will fail
at startup if they're not properly registered on the target machine,
*regardless of what was used to install them*.

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-sep...

BeeJ

on 1/3/2012, GS supposed :
> Does your Inno script register those OCXs? Apps that ref them will fail at
> startup if they're not properly registered on the target machine, *regardless
> of what was used to install them*.

According to the script line, yes.

GS

It happens that BeeJ formulated :
> on 1/3/2012, GS supposed :
>> Does your Inno script register those OCXs? Apps that ref them will fail at
>> startup if they're not properly registered on the target machine,
>> *regardless of what was used to install them*.
>
> According to the script line, yes.

Okay, my next Q is a long shot stab but...

Does the user have the correct permissions to run the app?

also...
Does the app have correct permissions on its folder/subfolders or any
other locations it accesses beyond read only?

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-sep...

BeeJ

GS explained on 1/4/2012 :
> It happens that BeeJ formulated :
>> on 1/3/2012, GS supposed :
>>> Does your Inno script register those OCXs? Apps that ref them will fail at
>>> startup if they're not properly registered on the target machine,
>>> *regardless of what was used to install them*.
>>
>> According to the script line, yes.
>
> Okay, my next Q is a long shot stab but...
>
> Does the user have the correct permissions to run the app?
>
> also...
> Does the app have correct permissions on its folder/subfolders or any other
> locations it accesses beyond read only?

Same permissions on both PCs.

The app creates its own folders under the app folder.
Reads and writes only to those folders and a few system folders that
the development PC writes to.

Wolfgang Enzinger

BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote:

>My large app that has several ActiveX EXEs and many Windows resources
>runs (.ocx etc) and runs fine in both the IDE and as an EXE on the
>development PC.
>BUT, when I do what I think is a proper install on a "clean" Win XP
>machine all I get is a Beep and nothing more when I double click the
>.EXE.

Do you happen to use a manifest (file or ressource) with your app?

Dee Earley

On 05/01/2012 00:25, BeeJ wrote:
> The app creates its own folders under the app folder.
> Reads and writes only to those folders and a few system folders that the
> development PC writes to.

Applications can't write into the (default) Program Files installation
folder on any recent version of Windows (or as a limited user on
anything prior).
Application data should go into one of the application data folders with
the permissions changed if required.

--
Deanna Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

GS

BeeJ was thinking very hard :
> GS explained on 1/4/2012 :
>> It happens that BeeJ formulated :
>>> on 1/3/2012, GS supposed :
>>>
>>> According to the script line, yes.
>>
>> Okay, my next Q is a long shot stab but...
>>
>> Does the user have the correct permissions to run the app?
>>
>> also...
>> Does the app have correct permissions on its folder/subfolders or any other
>> locations it accesses beyond read only?
>
> Same permissions on both PCs.
>
> The app creates its own folders under the app folder.
> Reads and writes only to those folders and a few system folders that the
> development PC writes to.

To add to Deanna's reply...
If you mean your app's folders were created during install then that
likely happened while running as Administrator. Different story for
non-admin users if trying to write without permissions in place.

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-sep...

Henning

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> skrev i meddelandet
> GS explained on 1/4/2012 :
>> It happens that BeeJ formulated :
>>> on 1/3/2012, GS supposed :
>>>
>>> According to the script line, yes.
>>
>> Okay, my next Q is a long shot stab but...
>>
>> Does the user have the correct permissions to run the app?
>>
>> also...
>> Does the app have correct permissions on its folder/subfolders or any
>> other locations it accesses beyond read only?
>
> Same permissions on both PCs.
>
> The app creates its own folders under the app folder.
> Reads and writes only to those folders and a few system folders that the
> development PC writes to.

No hint in Windows App Log?

/Henning

BeeJ

on 1/6/2012, Wolfgang Enzinger supposed :
> BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote:
>
>> My large app that has several ActiveX EXEs and many Windows resources
>> runs (.ocx etc) and runs fine in both the IDE and as an EXE on the
>> development PC.
>> BUT, when I do what I think is a proper install on a "clean" Win XP
>> machine all I get is a Beep and nothing more when I double click the
>> .EXE.
>
> Do you happen to use a manifest (file or ressource) with your app?

No manifest.

BeeJ

on 1/6/2012, GS supposed :
> BeeJ was thinking very hard :
>> GS explained on 1/4/2012 :
>>> It happens that BeeJ formulated :

>>> Okay, my next Q is a long shot stab but...
>>>
>>> Does the user have the correct permissions to run the app?
>>>
>>> also...
>>> Does the app have correct permissions on its folder/subfolders or any
>>> other locations it accesses beyond read only?
>>
>> Same permissions on both PCs.
>>
>> The app creates its own folders under the app folder.
>> Reads and writes only to those folders and a few system folders that the
>> development PC writes to.
>
> To add to Deanna's reply...
> If you mean your app's folders were created during install then that likely
> happened while running as Administrator. Different story for non-admin users
> if trying to write without permissions in place.

InnoSetup created the folders during install.
InnoSetup put a few files into Windows\System32 (or equivalent).

THis is being installed into Win XP Pro latest SP.