microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Editable data within app

BeeJ

12/29/2011 4:56:00 AM

I asked about this before and got no viable answer.
So I will ask again since maybe someone has percolated on it and has
some suggestions.

I want to create a VB6 app that contains / retains editable text.
So when I pass the app, the embedded data goes along inside.

I suggested using propertybag but was told that would not work.
Suggestions please.

What am I trying to use it for? An app that stores encrypted passwords
etc. that I can add, edit etc. I want one file, the app, so I do not
have to maintian multiple files/formats etc.

6 Answers

Jimekus

On Dec 29, 5:55 pm, BeeJ <nos...@spamnot.com> wrote:
> I asked about this before and got no viable answer.
> So I will ask again since maybe someone has percolated on it and has
> some suggestions.
>
> I want to create a VB6 app that contains / retains editable text.
> So when I pass the app, the embedded data goes along inside.
>
> I suggested using propertybag but was told that would not work.
> Suggestions please.
>
> What am I trying to use it for?  An app that stores encrypted passwords
> etc. that I can add, edit etc.  I want one file, the app, so I do not
> have to maintian multiple files/formats etc.

Tell me if this is what you want. VB6 Server Builder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G...

ralph

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 20:55:32 -0800, BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote:

>I asked about this before and got no viable answer.
>So I will ask again since maybe someone has percolated on it and has
>some suggestions.
>
>I want to create a VB6 app that contains / retains editable text.
>So when I pass the app, the embedded data goes along inside.
>
>I suggested using propertybag but was told that would not work.
>Suggestions please.
>
>What am I trying to use it for? An app that stores encrypted passwords
>etc. that I can add, edit etc. I want one file, the app, so I do not
>have to maintian multiple files/formats etc.

Another non-viable answer follows:

If this is something inhouse or recreational sharing you can use ...
1) the .DATA section.
2) the Resource file mechanism.
3) Simply append a file to the end of the executable.
4) Alternative File Stream

However, none of these schemes will work in a 'normal' Windows
environment without User help. You'll have to turn off Virus Checkers,
store the App in a non-Apps folder (eg. \appdata), and a zillion other
little annoyances and gotchas. (Well maybe only a couple of dozen.)

If you are trying to protect the information from anyone that has
physical access to the file - give it up. All schemes are sure to
fail.

Besides, you should NEVER store single passwords. If this is a
distributed application investigate using a Public Key.

Mike Scirocco

On 12/28/2011 8:55 PM, BeeJ wrote:
> I asked about this before and got no viable answer.
> So I will ask again since maybe someone has percolated on it and has
> some suggestions.
>
> I want to create a VB6 app that contains / retains editable text.
> So when I pass the app, the embedded data goes along inside.
>
> I suggested using propertybag but was told that would not work.
> Suggestions please.
>
> What am I trying to use it for? An app that stores encrypted passwords
> etc. that I can add, edit etc. I want one file, the app, so I do not
> have to maintian multiple files/formats etc.

Have you seen this?

http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthread.ph...

"... You CAN store data in an .exe. In fact, I do it all the time.
Unfortunately I can't send you the complete code because it belongs to a
proprietary program. I do it with two .exe's (one that creates the new
..exe out of the other .exe) but you could modify the idea to work on
itself. Here is some sample code. This is the code in the program that
CREATES a new .exe out of an old one: ...."

Thorsten Albers

BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> schrieb im Beitrag
<jdgrrq$tjh$1@dont-email.me>...
> What am I trying to use it for? An app that stores encrypted passwords
> etc. that I can add, edit etc. I want one file, the app, so I do not
> have to maintian multiple files/formats etc.

You shouldn't do that because it is behaviour typical for malware. Such an
EXE will most likely be marked as malware by real-time virus scanners.

--
Thorsten Albers

gudea at gmx.de

Mike Scirocco

On 12/29/2011 4:41 AM, Thorsten Albers wrote:
> BeeJ<nospam@spamnot.com> schrieb im Beitrag
> <jdgrrq$tjh$1@dont-email.me>...
>> What am I trying to use it for? An app that stores encrypted passwords
>> etc. that I can add, edit etc. I want one file, the app, so I do not
>> have to maintian multiple files/formats etc.
>
> You shouldn't do that because it is behaviour typical for malware. Such an
> EXE will most likely be marked as malware by real-time virus scanners.

True, maintaining two files instead of one doesn't sound like a big deal
to me either, but it does attempt to answer the OP's question.

Stan Weiss

Mike S wrote:

> On 12/28/2011 8:55 PM, BeeJ wrote:
> > I asked about this before and got no viable answer.
> > So I will ask again since maybe someone has percolated on it and has
> > some suggestions.
> >
> > I want to create a VB6 app that contains / retains editable text.
> > So when I pass the app, the embedded data goes along inside.
> >
> > I suggested using propertybag but was told that would not work.
> > Suggestions please.
> >
> > What am I trying to use it for? An app that stores encrypted passwords
> > etc. that I can add, edit etc. I want one file, the app, so I do not
> > have to maintian multiple files/formats etc.
>
> Have you seen this?
>
> http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthread.ph...
>
> "... You CAN store data in an .exe. In fact, I do it all the time.
> Unfortunately I can't send you the complete code because it belongs to a
> proprietary program. I do it with two .exe's (one that creates the new
> .exe out of the other .exe) but you could modify the idea to work on
> itself. Here is some sample code. This is the code in the program that
> CREATES a new .exe out of an old one: ...."

I also use an EXE to modify and EXE.

for example lets say I have
Reg_Text = "CARFOR Demo -- Please Register Your Copy
"
in the EXE that I want to update

In the second EXE
'
NName = Text3.Text 'Data coded in first EXE to be Replaced
NNameUni = StrConv(NName, vbUnicode)
'
Newname = Text4.Text 'New / Replacement Data
NewName = NewName & Space(60 - Len(NewName))
NewNameUni = StrConv(NewName, vbUnicode)
'

Inc = InStr(HOLD(IDX2), NNameUni) 'Find Data to Replace
If Inc > 0 Then
HOLD(IDX2) = Left$(WorkString, Inc - 1) & NewNameUni &
Mid$(WorkString, Inc + Len(NewNameUni))
End If

Stan