BeeJ

12/19/2011 2:46:00 AM

Keep reading ... it is a VB6 IDE related question.

I am building a new PC.
Using an AMD quad core 64 bit processor with 8G RAM.
It will be a dual boot system: Win7 Pro and XP Pro.
I have only worked with VB6 on XP Pro 32 bit.

Installation choices:
XP Pro 32 bit
XP Pro 64 bit

Questions:
What are the pros and cons for VB6 IDE development in either of
those choices.

Yes I know that XP 32 will not use all that RAM but will make Win7
happy.

6 Answers

ralph

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 18:45:51 -0800, BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote:

>Keep reading ... it is a VB6 IDE related question.
>
>I am building a new PC.
>Using an AMD quad core 64 bit processor with 8G RAM.
>It will be a dual boot system: Win7 Pro and XP Pro.
>I have only worked with VB6 on XP Pro 32 bit.
>
>Installation choices:
> XP Pro 32 bit
> XP Pro 64 bit
>
>Questions:
> What are the pros and cons for VB6 IDE development in either of
>those choices.
>
>Yes I know that XP 32 will not use all that RAM but will make Win7
>happy.

As far as developing in VB there isn't any real difference between
XP/32 and XP/64. The VBIDE will run transparently as a 32-bit
application whether the platform is 32 or 64 bit. There can possibily
a bit of confusion at first as to where 32-bit components are stored -
but you'll go through that the first time you use any 64-bit platform.
<g>

Start reading up now about WOW64 (Windows-on-Windows 64-bit).

However consider this if you choose 64-bit:

1) The advantage will be greater virtual memory and the ability to run
64-bit applications. Period.

The disadvantages are ...
1) No native support for 16-bit applications or MSDOS.

2) Can only use 64-bit drivers and services.
Not a problem if you are planning to use all new Hardware or devices
with 64-bit drivers. But can be a problem for legacy devices and
services as not all vendors supply 64-bit drivers for older items.

3) Related to the above is multi-media. This is the area that seems to
bug developers the most because there are so many 32-bit only 3rd
party and freeware components about. You can still run the older
components (for example codecs) if the 'core player' is 32-bit. But
again you can't mix 32-bit and 64-bit.

4) If you use the 64-bit version of common applications (Office,
Explorer) none of your old 32-bit extensions, dlls, etc. will work.
You can always load some 32-bit versions, for example MS provides a
32-bit version of Explorer that you can use instead of the 64-bit
version. It is often a choice of one or the other, not both, but it
depends on the product.

5) Some 32-bit applications can use the extra memory and registers (or
so I've been told), but in my experience most will perform slower on
XP/Vista 64-bit.

So for the VBIDE it not an issue with either platform. If you have or
feel you may need to fiddle with 32-bit legacy devices, media, ... and
not ready to cut the cord then stick with XP 32-bit.

I had the same decision and decided to go with Vista 32-bit and
Windows 7 64-bit. After all this time I've only run into a few
situations where I would have been dead-in-the-water without an
available 32-bit box, and even then I might have discovered a
work-around or replaced the device without too much trouble - but it
was nice to have the option. <g>

-ralph

Jim Mack

> Keep reading ... it is a VB6 IDE related question.
>
> I am building a new PC.
> Using an AMD quad core 64 bit processor with 8G RAM.
> It will be a dual boot system: Win7 Pro and XP Pro.
> I have only worked with VB6 on XP Pro 32 bit.
>
> Installation choices:
> XP Pro 32 bit
> XP Pro 64 bit
>
> Questions:
> What are the pros and cons for VB6 IDE development in either of those
> choices.
>
> Yes I know that XP 32 will not use all that RAM but will make Win7 happy.

I'd go with XP32. You already have a 64-bit system in Win7, and if the
XP side is just for VB development, XP64 gives you no direct advantage
and locks you out of an 16-bit stuff you may want or need.

--
Jim

DaveO

You do realize that "dual" boot systems are not limited to 2 operating
systems, there is no reason not to have XP, W7(32), W7(64) as well as a
Linux flavours or 2 and even an old DOS if you are so inclined all from the
boot menu. If you set it up on first install it's a lot easier than doing it
as a retro-fit.

You may also consider looking at virtualisation as your new PC should have
the power to cope.

DaveO.

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
> Keep reading ... it is a VB6 IDE related question.
>
> I am building a new PC.
> Using an AMD quad core 64 bit processor with 8G RAM.
> It will be a dual boot system: Win7 Pro and XP Pro.
> I have only worked with VB6 on XP Pro 32 bit.
>
> Installation choices:
> XP Pro 32 bit
> XP Pro 64 bit
>
> Questions:
> What are the pros and cons for VB6 IDE development in either of those
> choices.
>
> Yes I know that XP 32 will not use all that RAM but will make Win7 happy.

Abhishek

Use XP Pro 32-Bit and Windows 7. also 32-bit OS can only use 3.2 GB of RAM.
i have a system with 4 GB RAM and 32-bit XP runs fine, never tried with 8GB.

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
| Keep reading ... it is a VB6 IDE related question.
|
| I am building a new PC.
| Using an AMD quad core 64 bit processor with 8G RAM.
| It will be a dual boot system: Win7 Pro and XP Pro.
| I have only worked with VB6 on XP Pro 32 bit.
|
| Installation choices:
| XP Pro 32 bit
| XP Pro 64 bit
|
| Questions:
| What are the pros and cons for VB6 IDE development in either of
| those choices.
|
| Yes I know that XP 32 will not use all that RAM but will make Win7
| happy.

Heinrich

"The Revd" <peeling@degenerate.Griks> schreef in bericht

>>> Standing in a window, I bet! Blowjobs for 0.5 Euro, group
>>> rate 0.25 per person! LOLK!
>
>> not at ten o clock in the morning
>
> Right! She's only done washing the windows by 11! <LOLK!>

lul

The Peeler

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014 10:05:05 +0200, Dumb Heini, the heavily medicated Dutch
resident Nazi troll and laughing stock of sci and scj, wrote:

>> Time for you to wash the sheets of your wife's bed, inferior
>> dutch PIG! A new contingency of Nigerians had just arrived!
>>

> liar she is in amsterdam at the moment

IOW, she's having a good time WITHOUT you again, and as far away from you as
possible! Always the same old story, eh, you lonely Dutch PIG? LOL

--
The Dutch Nazitard, left alone, AGAIN, by his "wifee" [sic] and "doughter"
[sic]: