BeeJ

12/10/2011 9:40:00 PM

This is for VB6 development.

I know some of you do this.
Where can I find proper step by step instructions to set up a dual
boot:

(1) on a new OEM PC with no OS installed, XP Pro and Win7.
(2) convert a PC with Win7 installed to dual boot XP.

Do not want a virtual XP machine on this Win7 PC.

Yeah I can Google but I am looking for someone with experience that can
recommend a step by step that is clear and works.

Thanks!

15 Answers

Jimekus

On Dec 11, 10:40 am, BeeJ <nos...@spamnot.com> wrote:
> This is for VB6 development.
>
> I know some of you do this.
> Where can I find proper step by step instructions to set up a dual
> boot:
>
> (1) on a new OEM PC with no OS installed, XP Pro and Win7.
> (2) convert a PC with Win7 installed to dual boot XP.
>
> Do not want a virtual XP machine on this Win7 PC.
>
> Yeah I can Google but I am looking for someone with experience that can
> recommend a step by step that is clear and works.
>
> Thanks!

EasyBCD can help if you set it up before creating your XP partition,
though it is much easier if you setup XP before Win7. However, if
bringing across an XP partition from another drive, or just before
installing XP, I have used the Cool Tools feature in XXClone to make
sure the partition is active and bootable. After that EasyBCD can
recover the Win7 and XP structures. EasyBCD can only be initially
setup from Win7 though. You might have to use a Windows Loader to
recreate the Win7 low level stuff or else you will be locked out.

Jimekus

On Dec 11, 11:10 am, Jimekus <jime...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 11, 10:40 am, BeeJ <nos...@spamnot.com> wrote:
>
> > This is for VB6 development.
>
> > I know some of you do this.
> > Where can I find proper step by step instructions to set up a dual
> > boot:
>
> > (1) on a new OEM PC with no OS installed, XP Pro and Win7.
> > (2) convert a PC with Win7 installed to dual boot XP.
>
> > Do not want a virtual XP machine on this Win7 PC.
>
> > Yeah I can Google but I am looking for someone with experience that can
> > recommend a step by step that is clear and works.
>
> > Thanks!
>
> EasyBCD can help if you set it up before creating your XP partition,
> though it is much easier if you setup XP before Win7. However, if
> bringing across an XP partition from another drive, or just before
> installing XP, I have used the Cool Tools feature in XXClone to make
> sure the partition is active and bootable. After that EasyBCD can
> recover the Win7 and XP structures. EasyBCD can only be initially
> setup from Win7 though. You might have to use a Windows Loader to
> recreate the Win7 low level stuff or else you will be locked out.

more good discussion here

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-compute...

MikeD

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
> This is for VB6 development.
>
> I know some of you do this.
> Where can I find proper step by step instructions to set up a dual boot:
>
> (1) on a new OEM PC with no OS installed, XP Pro and Win7.
> (2) convert a PC with Win7 installed to dual boot XP.
>
> Do not want a virtual XP machine on this Win7 PC.

Why? For development, this would by far be the easiest solution. I could
see it if you were wanting to dual-boot for a game (many of which won't run
in a WinXP VM), but for VB6? It'll work fine in a VM.

> Yeah I can Google but I am looking for someone with experience that can
> recommend a step by step that is clear and works.

Basically, that just means you're too lazy to research things yourself. Why
I'm replying, I have no idea. Nothing better to do right now I guess.

It's problematic to create a dual-boot system if the later version of
Windows is already installed . So, on the new PC, be sure to install XP
first and then install Win7. On (I'm guessing) the 2nd PC that already has
Win7 installed, you WILL have have issues that will need to be fixed. Once
you install XP on that, it'll only boot to that (assuming it boots at all).
You can "repair" it using the Win7 media and its recovery tools, but my
experience doing that has proven to be somewhat hit-or-miss and will require
more work to completely fix. As Jimekus said, EasyBCD is a handy utility to
have and can fix many dual-boot problems and configure dual-booting much
easier and better than Windows' own tool (Win7 itself only provides a
command line tool called BCDEdit). However, you'll still likely have
additional issues to resolve. Creating a dual-boot system just doesn't work
too well if you don't install the older version of Windows first and then
install the newer version of Windows. This is particularly true when one of
the OSes is Vista or Win7 because MS changed the boot process rather
significantly.

In all cases of dual-booting, you need create a 2nd hard drive partition (or
3 partitions if you want to multi-boot 3 versions of Windows). Each version
of Windows must be installed on its own separate partition. Also, from a
legal standpoint, you must have 2 separate licenses of WinXP and 2 separate
licenses of Win7 (since you're apparently dual-booting 2 computers with 2
OSes on each). If you don't use different keys, you may wind up having
problem when you activate Windows (it either won't be successful, or you'll
lose the activation on the "previous" Windows installation and it will no
longer be activated). Unless, of course, your keys allow multiple
activations (for example, you got the keys from an MSDN subscription, which
allows up to 10 (possibly more) concurrent activations all using the same
key.

To create a dual-boot system, you must do a custom installation. The key
point is to install each copy of Windows to its own partition. That
essentially is what creates the dual-boot. See this for the basic steps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Install-more-than-one-operating-system...

Also keep in mind that programs need installed on each OS. For most
programs, the license allows this. But there are definitely some that don't
or will be troublesome (most likely ones that also need activated in some
way). Be sure to read EULAs carefully to ensure you can legally install the
software on each OS of a dual-boot system. Most commonly, anti-virus
software will be the most problematic. If your anti-virus software allows
for 3 PCs, it *may* use 2 of those if installing it on each OS of a
dual-boot system. Do NOT be tempted to conserve disk space by installing
software to the same location for each OS. You WILL run into problems. Part
of the problems will be that each OS may allocate drive letters differently.
To a point, you can correct this using Disk Management to change a
partition's assigned drive letter; but only to a point. And even if you can
get the same drive letter assigned to a partition in each OS, installing the
software under each OS to the exact same folder is usually not supported and
will cause problems (this is especially true if one of the OSes is 32 bit
and the other is 64 bit or if the software you're installing has both 32 bit
and 64 bit versions).

I'd also suggest searching MS's Knowledge Base. They have quite a few
articles on dual-booting that discuss best practices and how to fix things
if they go wrong.

Since you don't seem to be too familiar with dual-booting, the absolute best
advice that anyone can give you is BACKUP your entire system BEFORE doing
anything. Dual-booting incorrectly can hose your computer to where you might
not be able to get it to boot at all. While you most likely won't lose
anything real important, if things get really hosed your only solution might
be to restore from a backup. People that have never created a dual-boot
system almost always screw it up the first time they try it. It's not that a
dual-boot system is really all that hard to create. It's that they don't
understand things like partitions and how computers actually work.

Mike Williams

"MikeD" <nobody@nowhere.edu> wrote in message
> "BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Do not want a virtual XP machine on this Win7 PC.
>
> Why? For development, this would by far be the easiest solution.
> I could see it if you were wanting to dual-boot for a game (many
> of which won't run in a WinXP VM), but for VB6? It'll work
> fine in a VM.

It depends on what kind of code he is writing. If part of his code is doing
GDI graphics work for example then there can be huge differences between how
it behaves in an XP virtual machine compared to how it behaves under real
XP.

Mike

Mayayana

I also don't see the point of the VM fad, except
maybe for efficiency on a multi-core server box.

Some people use hard disk carriages that allow
them to swap disks at will. Jerry French used to swear
by that approach.

I use BootIt, which I've used for years, for
a combination of backup, partitioning and multi-boot.
Unfortunately, Windows is poorly designed for such a
setup. Vista/7, in my experience, will just take over
the MBR and then will only boot "supported" Windows
versions. But that's a minor issue.

The way that I do
it is to use 2 disks, each partitioned for 3 primary and
1 extended partition. The primaries are maybe 3-4 GB,
or more like 20 for Vista/7. The extended partition gets
divided into mainly FAT32 data partitions. That allows for
multiple, bootable OSs plus lots of redundant data storage
options.

I do something similar for friends who want help. It seems
absurd that people have 400 GB C drives loaded with music,
photos and work docs, and they lose it all in a crash! It makes
much more sense to me to separate the "cargo" from the
"engine". That also makes disk imaging usable. (A clean XP
image with software installed can fit onto a CD. 200 GB worth
of photos is not realistically image-able.

When I install an OS I back it up as a disk image, after
installing all the software and setting everything up. That
allows me to easily recover, if necessary, if I lose the
system. (XP and Vista/7 are notably brittle compared with
Win9x. It's very easy to fatally damage XP.)

I then install disk images and no longer have to install
Windows directly or set up the basic software.

Disk images are even more useful on OEM machines where
a CD may be lacking. If you lose Windows on an OEM PC
you could be stuck buying a new PC just to get back the
Windows OS that you've already paid for. If your "backup"
is an OEM restore partition then a hard disk crash will take
away all options to re-install.

I wonder about that in relation to VMs. I've never tried
a VM. (I've never wasted money buying a PC that's so much
more powerful than what I need that I can easily afford to
run 3 OSs simultaneously on it!) If one must install Windows,
then add a VM, then add each OS to that, it seems that
there would be an awfully lot of work to do if the main system
fails. How does one back up such a "nested egg"?

Right now I'm just booting XP FAT32, my normal system,
and an NTFS-converted version of the same thing for testing.
I have Win98 and WinME images, but they won't run on my
current box and it's got to the point that I probably won't
ever use them again. I think that pretty much the only Win9x
left is on commercial PCs, in the back of restaurants, hardware
stores and lumber yards. They won't be using my software.
I used to also install a couple of Linux versions, which can
boot from logical partitions, but I haven't done that for some
time. I gave up on the expectation that Linux would eventually
be ready for prime-time.

I have access to a Win7 laptop for
testing. That provides me with enough testing options. Mainly
I only test when something is pretty much finished; then adjust
from there if necessary. At this point I only nominally support
the Vista/7 mess. Fortunately, what works on XP seems to
usually work pretty well on Vista/7. The user restrictions are
the big difference. From what I hear, Win8 is basically Win7
with Metro tacked on. With any luck, writing to XP will usually
accomodate all in-use Windows versions for years to come.

Years ago I used to use Drive Image/Partition Magic. BootIt
turned out to be cheaper and better. Acronis is a popular
alternative, but from what I can see that's an overpriced,
bloated approach. (I think BootIt can still fit on a floppy!
*Never* buy any kind of partitioning/backup software that
has to be installed onto Windows. That's very limiting and
entirely misses the point.)

If you don't want to pay for something like BootIt there
are some OSS partitioning tools. And Windows itself has very
limited partitioning options. To my mind it's worth having one
good tool. Partitioning and imaging are not jobs to do with
"any old freeware", or with half-hearted Windows tools.

As for step-by-step, if you're installing fresh then just make
sure you have a C drive partition where you want Windows
to go. Then set that partition active. The Windows disk should
either overwrite C drive or give you a choice of where to install,
depending on the Windows version. To be on the safe side I
would make sure that any other OSs already on the PC are imaged
and copied to CD before putting on the next system. Also, write
down the sizes of your partitions as extra insurance to make
sure you install to the right one.

If it were me doing it all from scratch I think I'd install Win7
to 20 GB, then move it back 5 GB, create a FAT32 partition
in front of it, and install XP there. I'd leave another 20 GB free
space behind Win7. (You might need it later.) Then convert
the rest to logical, FAT32 data partitions. (You need NTFS if
you want to store 8 GB movies, but FAT32 is *so* much easier
otherwise.) Same thing in scenario #2. XP could also go behind
7. The main thing is that you need to partition the disk.

Nearly all current PCs have a C drive that's
most of the disk and a hidden restore partition of maybe 8 GB.
You can keep the restore partition if you want to, but you
can only have 4 primary partitions per disk. An extended
partition for logical data partitions counts as 1. So if you keep your
restore partition you can only fit 2 OSs along with the data.
(Though BootIt can also boot from a second hard disk.)

I know that Win7 is very pushy about taking over the boot,
so you have to watch out for that. But Win7 is willing to
recognize XP, at least. So if you only want to boot XP and
7 then it probably won't matter much whether XP, 7, or BootIt
ends up controlling things.

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
| This is for VB6 development.
|
| I know some of you do this.
| Where can I find proper step by step instructions to set up a dual
| boot:
|
| (1) on a new OEM PC with no OS installed, XP Pro and Win7.
| (2) convert a PC with Win7 installed to dual boot XP.
|
| Do not want a virtual XP machine on this Win7 PC.
|
| Yeah I can Google but I am looking for someone with experience that can
| recommend a step by step that is clear and works.
|
| Thanks!

RonW

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 13:40:01 -0800, BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote:

>This is for VB6 development.
>
>I know some of you do this.
>Where can I find proper step by step instructions to set up a dual
>boot:
>
>(1) on a new OEM PC with no OS installed, XP Pro and Win7.
>(2) convert a PC with Win7 installed to dual boot XP.

One word of warning:

If you boot to XP on a Win7 machine all of Win7's shadow copies of
your files are deleted. All restore points are deleted as well.

Shadow copies likely are no big deal but losing all your restore
points potentially could be a headache down the road.

If the copies of these things are on a separate drive you can preserve
them by turning off that drive before booting to XP.

Source of this info is "Windows 7: The Missing Manual" by David Pogue.

Ron

JPB

On Dec 11, 9:49 am, "Mayayana" <mayay...@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>    I also don't see the point of the VM fad, except
> maybe for efficiency on a multi-core server box.

The main reasons I like using VMs instead of multi-boot or multiple
computers (in no particular order):

1) Backup
When I shutdown my computer every night, it automatically copies
all of my VM hard drive image files to my backup system.

2) Testing
I have Win2k and XP VMs running under Windows 7 - When I build my
executables, I have a script that deploys them to each OS instance. I
can then quickly test changes in each OS without needing to reboot,
which saves time.

3) Snapshots
I have "clean" OS snapshots for each version of Windows I am
testing so I can test my installers on completely virgin setups.

4) VB6 IDE in Win2K
I do all of the development in the Win2K VM, but I use the Win7 OS
for all of my non-development use (browsing web, e-mail, games,
etc...). I don't have to reboot to switch between work and personal
time. This may not be a benefit depending on one's propensity for
procrastination.

5) Portability
Since a VM hard drive is just a file, I can move it to another
computer if I need to.

There may be other reasons, but those are the main ones off the top of
my head. Switching to VMs has definitely improved my productivity
though.

Thorsten Albers

RW <RonW@no_domain.invalid> schrieb im Beitrag
<adu9e7t568acicr0g77ntadtdgu09pkj6v@4ax.com>...
> If you boot to XP on a Win7 machine all of Win7's shadow copies of
> your files are deleted. All restore points are deleted as well.
>
> Shadow copies likely are no big deal but losing all your restore
> points potentially could be a headache down the road.
>
> If the copies of these things are on a separate drive you can preserve
> them by turning off that drive before booting to XP.
>
> Source of this info is "Windows 7: The Missing Manual" by David Pogue.

I have 2 PCs each of which has this configuration:

HDD 1, primary 1 WinXP Professional SP3
HDD 1, primary 2 WinVista Ultimate SP2
HDD 1, primary 3 Win7 Ultimate SP1

Boot manager is a small programm called 'BootManager (BOOTMANA.EXE)'

I did never encounter the problem you have mentioned, no matter if I
rebooted from a newer version to an older one or vice-versa.

--
Thorsten Albers

gudea at gmx.de

-mhd

JPB <jasonpeterbrown@gmail.com> wrote:

>There may be other reasons, but those are the main ones off the top of
>my head. Switching to VMs has definitely improved my productivity
>though.

+1

-mhd

BeeJ

Yikes! too many right ways to do it each with problems.

If I can find a SATA switch then I would install two HDs, one with Win7
and one with XP and then throw the switch and reboot.

Anybody have a SATA switch?