blank

11/13/2011 6:27:00 PM

OT: It's not just Micro$oft who ignore their customers!

I've just had Google's new search interface thrust on me. Dreadful. Will be
using another search engine after years of happy Googling!

Anyone suggest a suitable Google ng to lodge my humble opinion?

20 Answers

ralph

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 05:26:53 +1100, "blank" <blank@blankety.blank.com>
wrote:

>OT: It's not just Micro$oft who ignore their customers!
>
>I've just had Google's new search interface thrust on me. Dreadful. Will be
>using another search engine after years of happy Googling!
>
>Anyone suggest a suitable Google ng to lodge my humble opinion?

Ha. There are several.

Remember the big squawk a while ago when they went to 'larger' fonts
in the search window? The reponse was over-whelmingly against it.

You forget Google hires the best and brightest in the computing world.
Google knows more about what is best for you than any other company
out there. Now just shut-up and bend over.

-ralph

mm

El 13/11/2011 09:06 p.m., ralph escribió:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 05:26:53 +1100, "blank"<blank@blankety.blank.com>
> wrote:
>
>> OT: It's not just Micro$oft who ignore their customers!
>>
>> I've just had Google's new search interface thrust on me. Dreadful. Will be
>> using another search engine after years of happy Googling!
>>
>> Anyone suggest a suitable Google ng to lodge my humble opinion?
>>

> Ha. There are several.
>
> Remember the big squawk a while ago when they went to 'larger' fonts
> in the search window? The reponse was over-whelmingly against it.
>
> You forget Google hires the best and brightest in the computing world.
> Google knows more about what is best for you than any other company
> out there. Now just shut-up and bend over.
>
> -ralph

Google is getting more and more stupid lately. It's like MS mandatory
ways to "help you" (for example not searching for files under certain
folders -but in this case you still have an advanced option, but I don't
trust, I use Agent Ransac instead-, or some other features "to help you").

Some days ago, I wanted to search for 'best ocr software for
handwriting' on Google. There was no way (at least that I figured out in
a simple search) to say Google that I want to search ICR, not OCR, but
anyway include the links where "OCR" appear.

Google consider OCR a synonymous of ICR, so for google it's the same.

If I search for 'best ocr software for handwriting -OCR' it will exclude
all the page where OCR appear, that are the most, and if I search 'best
ocr software for handwriting' it will treat the word OCR as it was ICR
and will show mostly pages about OCR (not ICR).

Really stupid.

I had to use yahoo.

Mayayana

| Google is getting more and more stupid lately. It's like MS mandatory
| ways to "help you"

I've been finding that, too. I don't enable script
and don't want the "search as you type" nonsense,
so Google punishes me by only allowing 10 returns.
That option is grayed out! I have to do the search,
get the 10 results, click Advanced Search again,
then choose how many returns I want, then hit the
Search button again, if I want more than 10 returns
per page.

And another thing... (in honor of Andy Rooney)...
Do they have to impose their guess about what I
want? If I searched for "blank and white", it was fine
when Google included a link that said "did you mean
'black and white'?" But now they return a search for
"black and white", with a begrudging link that says,
"If you're stupid enough to really be looking for 'blank
and white' then click here to run the search again,
you halfwit searcher, you."

And...notice that they're playing with hijacking links?
I don't know why, but I sometimes find lately that all or most
links on the page are going to Google to be forwarded, along
with added URL parameters. Something like:

http://www.google.com&url=http://www.somewher.........

I wondered if maybe it's a sort of cookie substitute.

Sorry. I realize this is a secure boot newsgroup and
not a Google Gripes newsgroup. I just couldn't resist. :)

Dee Earley

On 13/11/2011 18:26, blank wrote:
> OT: It's not just Micro$oft who ignore their customers!
>
> I've just had Google's new search interface thrust on me. Dreadful. Will be
> using another search engine after years of happy Googling!

erm, largely blank screen with a search box in the (upper) middle.
Out of curiosity, what about that don't you like?

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

se

"blank" <blank@blankety.blank.com> skrev i meddelelsen
> OT: It's not just Micro$oft who ignore their customers!
>
> I've just had Google's new search interface thrust on me. Dreadful. Will
> be using another search engine after years of happy Googling!
>
> Anyone suggest a suitable Google ng to lodge my humble opinion?

I agree with you and the others who agree with you. When I open
IE on my win 7, google fates in as an unannounced visitor and tells me:
We have noticed that you have not used google toolbar lately, do you
want us to couple it in?.
Perhaps a virus from somone else?. If not so; really stupid it is.

In this world everythings geten stupier. It's not even possible to browse
without allowing cookies to install on ones machine.

I have no recommandations. I think it's the same all over.

/se

James Tyler

not that it bothers me, but the Search button is partially cut off with my
resolution

"Deanna Earley" <dee.earley@icode.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 13/11/2011 18:26, blank wrote:
>> OT: It's not just Micro$oft who ignore their customers!
>>
>> I've just had Google's new search interface thrust on me. Dreadful. Will
>> be
>> using another search engine after years of happy Googling!
>
> erm, largely blank screen with a search box in the (upper) middle.
> Out of curiosity, what about that don't you like?
>
> --
> Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
> i-Catcher Development Team
> http://www.icode.co.uk...
>
> iCode Systems
>
> (Replies direct to my email address will be ignored.
> Please reply to the group.)

blank

"se" <se@onfakeplace&.atbigfix> wrote in message

> "blank" <blank@blankety.blank.com> skrev i meddelelsen
>> OT: It's not just Micro$oft who ignore their customers!
>>
>> I've just had Google's new search interface thrust on me. Dreadful. Will
>> be using another search engine after years of happy Googling!
>>
>> Anyone suggest a suitable Google ng to lodge my humble opinion?
>>
> I agree with you and the others who agree with you. When I open
> IE on my win 7, google fates in as an unannounced visitor and tells me:
> We have noticed that you have not used google toolbar lately, do you
> want us to couple it in?.
> Perhaps a virus from somone else?. If not so; really stupid it is.
>
> In this world everythings geten stupier. It's not even possible to browse
> without allowing cookies to install on ones machine.
>
> I have no recommandations. I think it's the same all over.
>
> /se

I'm pleased so many agree. I used to really LOVE Google and used it for all
my research. Not any more. Can anyone suggest another search engine?

Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB]

"Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote in message

> Sorry. I realize this is a secure boot newsgroup

....huh?

Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB]

"Jeff Johnson" <i.get@enough.spam> wrote in message

>> Sorry. I realize this is a secure boot newsgroup
>
> ...huh?

Ohhhhh, I get it now.

Mayayana

| Can anyone suggest another search engine?

They still do such a good job, it's hard to go to any
other. The number of people visiting my site coming
from a search engine yesterday:

Google - 88
Bing - 3
Yahoo - 1

On a recent heavy traffic day:

Google - 265
Bing - 1
Yahoo - 0

Yet I have mostly things of interest to people using
Windows; especially "power users" and IT people. And
Bing/Yahoo supposedly get about 1/3 of search traffic.
They also dutifully crawl my site. But they just don't
have the same knack for finding relevant links. Actually,
Microsoft markets Bing as a search engine especially for
shopping:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/bing-decision-engine-shopping-e...

To my mind that's a pitiful lack of both ethics and
vision... No idealistic "information highway" talk in
Redmond. It's more reminiscent of Earl Scheib and
his $49 paint job deal.

I used to get occasional visitors from dogpile, oddly
enough.