microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Who is using VB6 on: W2K, XP, Vista, W7?

(Mike Mitchell)

11/10/2011 7:41:00 PM

Am I the last person using VB6 on Windows 2000?

How many (guesstimate) are using VB6 on XP?

And on Vista?

And on Windows 7?

If I'm going to have to move up a notch, I could jump straight to
Windows 7, but I'd have to buy a whole load more hardware, probably
(not enough RAM, CPU no longer fast enough, mobo old).

If I stuck with XP, then there's no problem.

Comments? (Remember back in September I had a God-awful job even
getting VB6 to install on XP, until someone pointed out the trick with
that java malarkey.)

MM
40 Answers

Mayayana

| Am I the last person using VB6 on Windows 2000?

What's wrong with Win2000? I used VB on Win98 for
several years. It was fine except that it couldn't handle
really large projects. I'm now using XP and find that I
can easily have several projects open at once. Isn't
2000 essentially XP with less fluff?

GS

MM laid this down on his screen :
> Am I the last person using VB6 on Windows 2000?
>
> How many (guesstimate) are using VB6 on XP?
>
> And on Vista?
>
> And on Windows 7?
>
> If I'm going to have to move up a notch, I could jump straight to
> Windows 7, but I'd have to buy a whole load more hardware, probably
> (not enough RAM, CPU no longer fast enough, mobo old).
>
> If I stuck with XP, then there's no problem.
>
> Comments? (Remember back in September I had a God-awful job even
> getting VB6 to install on XP, until someone pointed out the trick with
> that java malarkey.)
>
> MM

I'm running VB6 on 2 XP machines, though one is older and not used much
(testing only). I probably could uninstall it there but the machine is
a Dell Precision series portable workstation and so serves as a good
backup unit to my current dev machine.

I tried to 'upgrade' a Vista machine to XP but the hardware was too new
and XP didn't have the necessary drivers to even install. Even Win2K is
better than Vista<g> What a monumental mistake then release was.
Ironically, Win7 version ID's as 6.1! Hmm...!

I have a Win7 x64 machine currently used for testing but looks like it
may become my next primary dev unit.

Now Win8 is out and so i don't know if I want to go there at this point
since Classic VB isn't supported anymore. Most of my work revolves
around MSO Excel and VBA, but when MSO12 introduced the Ribbon I was so
pissed off I went and bought FarPoint's Spread.ocx so I could dupe all
my Excel-based apps in VB6. Works great but the future is x64 and so
maybe I'll have to move away from VB (or just stick to VBA and MSO)!

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-sep...

(Mike Mitchell)

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 14:45:33 -0500, "Mayayana"
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>| Am I the last person using VB6 on Windows 2000?
>|

>What's wrong with Win2000? I used VB on Win98 for
>several years. It was fine except that it couldn't handle
>really large projects. I'm now using XP and find that I
>can easily have several projects open at once. Isn't
>2000 essentially XP with less fluff?

I want to upgrade to the latest version of SocketTools and Windows
2000 is no longer supported.

MM

(Mike Mitchell)

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:00:15 -0500, GS <gs@somewhere.net> wrote:

>MM laid this down on his screen :
>> Am I the last person using VB6 on Windows 2000?
>>
>> How many (guesstimate) are using VB6 on XP?
>>
>> And on Vista?
>>
>> And on Windows 7?
>>
>> If I'm going to have to move up a notch, I could jump straight to
>> Windows 7, but I'd have to buy a whole load more hardware, probably
>> (not enough RAM, CPU no longer fast enough, mobo old).
>>
>> If I stuck with XP, then there's no problem.
>>
>> Comments? (Remember back in September I had a God-awful job even
>> getting VB6 to install on XP, until someone pointed out the trick with
>> that java malarkey.)
>>
>> MM
>
>I'm running VB6 on 2 XP machines, though one is older and not used much
>(testing only). I probably could uninstall it there but the machine is
>a Dell Precision series portable workstation and so serves as a good
>backup unit to my current dev machine.
>
>I tried to 'upgrade' a Vista machine to XP but the hardware was too new
>and XP didn't have the necessary drivers to even install. Even Win2K is
>better than Vista<g> What a monumental mistake then release was.
>Ironically, Win7 version ID's as 6.1! Hmm...!
>
>I have a Win7 x64 machine currently used for testing but looks like it
>may become my next primary dev unit.
>
>Now Win8 is out and so i don't know if I want to go there at this point
>since Classic VB isn't supported anymore. Most of my work revolves
>around MSO Excel and VBA, but when MSO12 introduced the Ribbon I was so
>pissed off I went and bought FarPoint's Spread.ocx so I could dupe all
>my Excel-based apps in VB6. Works great but the future is x64 and so
>maybe I'll have to move away from VB (or just stick to VBA and MSO)!

OK. Food for thought. Tell me, did YOU have any problems installing
VB6 on XP? I did eventually get it installed, but it wasn't plain
sailing like on W98/W2K. The ruddy installer kept on complaining about
an out of date Java engine or something, as I recall. That was back in
September, so I'd have to reinstate the Acronis image to take it
further (service packs etc).

MM

Thorsten Albers

MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> schrieb im Beitrag
<1gdob7d7qsmnvgctumreppue6erann9mmj@4ax.com>...
> OK. Food for thought. Tell me, did YOU have any problems installing
> VB6 on XP? I did eventually get it installed, but it wasn't plain
> sailing like on W98/W2K. The ruddy installer kept on complaining about
> an out of date Java engine or something, as I recall. That was back in
> September, so I'd have to reinstate the Acronis image to take it
> further (service packs etc).

If you want to install VS without any 'workarounds' install the MS Java VM
before installing VS.

a) Install
MS Virtual Machine for Java 5.0.2752.0 (MSJAVX86.EXE, x86 only)
from the MS Visual J++ 6.0 CD, or try

<http://download.microsoft.com/download/vstudio60ent/sp5/Visual_Ba...
e/DE/vs6sp5b1.exe>
(Presumably you have download VS/VB SP5 already)

b) Update to
MS Virtual Machine for Java Update 5.0.3810.0 (MSJAVU.EXE)
which AFAIK is the last update.
Try

<http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/c...
avwu_8073687b82d41db93f4c2a04af2b34d.exe>

After these two have been installed VS installs without any problem on
WinXP including SP3 (this worked for me even on WinVista and Win7...).

But note:
- The MS java runtime isn't supported by MS since a long time; it should
not be used since it is very likely that is out of date and has lots of
security leaks. The java machine to be used can be selected in the MS
Internet Explorer properties and/or in the Sun/Oracle java runtime
properties.
- The MS java runtime can not be easily be removed from the system. Once MS
provided a java removal tool which still can be found in the web - but be
sure to get the original version and not a fake which might harm your OS!

I didn't test it but VS/VB should run even if the MS java runtime has been
removed after the installation of VS/VB.

--
Thorsten Albers

gudea at gmx.de

GS

MM laid this down on his screen :
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:00:15 -0500, GS <gs@somewhere.net> wrote:
>
>> MM laid this down on his screen :
>>> Am I the last person using VB6 on Windows 2000?
>>>
>>> How many (guesstimate) are using VB6 on XP?
>>>
>>> And on Vista?
>>>
>>> And on Windows 7?
>>>
>>> If I'm going to have to move up a notch, I could jump straight to
>>> Windows 7, but I'd have to buy a whole load more hardware, probably
>>> (not enough RAM, CPU no longer fast enough, mobo old).
>>>
>>> If I stuck with XP, then there's no problem.
>>>
>>> Comments? (Remember back in September I had a God-awful job even
>>> getting VB6 to install on XP, until someone pointed out the trick with
>>> that java malarkey.)
>>>
>>> MM
>>
>> I'm running VB6 on 2 XP machines, though one is older and not used much
>> (testing only). I probably could uninstall it there but the machine is
>> a Dell Precision series portable workstation and so serves as a good
>> backup unit to my current dev machine.
>>
>> I tried to 'upgrade' a Vista machine to XP but the hardware was too new
>> and XP didn't have the necessary drivers to even install. Even Win2K is
>> better than Vista<g> What a monumental mistake then release was.
>> Ironically, Win7 version ID's as 6.1! Hmm...!
>>
>> I have a Win7 x64 machine currently used for testing but looks like it
>> may become my next primary dev unit.
>>
>> Now Win8 is out and so i don't know if I want to go there at this point
>> since Classic VB isn't supported anymore. Most of my work revolves
>> around MSO Excel and VBA, but when MSO12 introduced the Ribbon I was so
>> pissed off I went and bought FarPoint's Spread.ocx so I could dupe all
>> my Excel-based apps in VB6. Works great but the future is x64 and so
>> maybe I'll have to move away from VB (or just stick to VBA and MSO)!
>
> OK. Food for thought. Tell me, did YOU have any problems installing
> VB6 on XP? I did eventually get it installed, but it wasn't plain
> sailing like on W98/W2K. The ruddy installer kept on complaining about
> an out of date Java engine or something, as I recall. That was back in
> September, so I'd have to reinstate the Acronis image to take it
> further (service packs etc).
>
> MM

I don't recall having any problems with either installation. Actually,
it surprised me that people were having problems installing under Win7.
I hadn't realized there was a multitude of issues. Maybe I just got
lucky! The version I have is VS6.0 Professional Edition SP3, but I have
updated to SP6. I did not have any Java messages pop up but that might
be because I already had installed C# Express Edition, which turned out
to NOT be what I wanted.

--

GS <gs@somewhere.net> schrieb im Beitrag <j9i7mj$3d6$1@dont-email.me>...
> I did not have any Java messages pop up but that might
> be because I already had installed C# Express Edition

That surely isn't the reason since VS searches for the MS java runtime
which isn't installed with any .NET development tool. Shipping and support
of the MS java runtime AFAIK ended up with (incl.) Win98 SE, Win2K SP3,
WinXP SP1a(sic!), and VS 6.0 SP6.
AFAIR on Win7 you get a Java related message only if you try to install MS
Visual Java++ <= 6. For VS/VB/VC <= 6.0 you only get a message about
'compatibility issues'.

--
Thorsten Albers

gudea at gmx.de

Mike Williams

"Thorsten Albers" <gudea@gmx.de> wrote in message

> For VS/VB/VC <= 6.0 you only get a message about . . .

What's all this about VB <= 6.0 ? ALL version of VB are <= 6.0 !!!
Any version of VB which purports to be otherwise is a scam !!!

MikeD

"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Am I the last person using VB6 on Windows 2000?
>
> How many (guesstimate) are using VB6 on XP?
>
> And on Vista?
>
> And on Windows 7?
>
> If I'm going to have to move up a notch, I could jump straight to
> Windows 7, but I'd have to buy a whole load more hardware, probably
> (not enough RAM, CPU no longer fast enough, mobo old).
>
> If I stuck with XP, then there's no problem.
>
> Comments? (Remember back in September I had a God-awful job even
> getting VB6 to install on XP, until someone pointed out the trick with
> that java malarkey.)

FWIW, VB6 "works" on both Vista and Win7 with what I consider to only be
minor issues. I've personally never had ANY issues with VB6 on WinXP,
including installation. And I've installed both VB6 Pro and Ent editions on
many WinXP virtual machines.

Issues you may expect to encounter under Vista and Win7 (not complete by any
means; just some that I've personally encountered) are the Java problem
during installation (easily worked around), slow redraws in the Form
Designer (work-around by disabling desktop composition or just live with it
but it can be annoying), and various issues related to UAC. If you keep UAC
enabled, be SURE to right-click either a shortcut to VB6.exe or the .exe
file itself, select Properties, and check the box to run it as administrator
on the Compatibility tab (this is also where you'll find the checkbox for
disabling desktop composition). It is not necessary to run VB6 in any of the
OS compatibility modes, but you certainly can if you want (I've never
noticed any difference that it makes though).

A couple other IDE issues under Vista and Win7 is that some Property window
"popups" won't work. For example, the Palette tab for the BackColor and
ForeColor properties will be blank. This can be worked-around by disabling
visual themes. I seem to also recall a problem with the Data Environment
designer (perhaps other designers as well) that is also worked-around by
disabling visual themes and/or desktop composition. I very, very seldom ever
use the DE so my memory is a little hazy on that.

A more serious problem under Win7 (not sure about Vista as I've never really
used Vista) is if you use ADO in your app. To me, this isn't really a
problem with VB6 but with ADO. Win7 includes a new, non-redistributable
version of ADO 6.0 (IOW, no MDAC installation). Now you can set a reference
to older versions of ADO (2.0 to 2.8) and everything will be fine UNTIL you
run the compiled app on an earlier version of Windows that doesn't (and
can't) have ADO 6.0. And then you'll hit all kinds of problems with ADO.
The first time I had problems, I was able to somewhat trace it back to the
interface of ADO 6.0. I was able to do this because I was using ADO in an
ActiveX DLL project and when recompiling the DLL under Win7, I'd get the
"binary compatibility" dialog box with the following (even though, and maybe
because, the reference is for ADO 2.6):

Original definition:
Property Get Connection() As ADODB.Connection_Deprecated

Current definition:
Property Get Connection() As ADODB.Connection

I have found no viable solution to compiling under Win7 and the app working
under earlier versions of Windows. I tried setting the reference to other
versions of ADO, including ADO 6.0, and still had problems with the app
running on WinXP without ADO 6.0. So, bottom line is that you can develop
under Win7 but you'll need to compile any app using ADO under WinXP. You
can install Windows Virtual PC and XPMode for this purpose (so be sure Win7
is an edition that can use VPC and XPMode, or you can use the older Virtual
PC 2007 or some other virtual machine product but you'll need a legal
license for WinXP, whereas XPMode already is licensed simply by owning a
legal license of Win7).

Of course, there are still design considerations related to Vista and Win7
if you want your app to play nice in those OSes regardless of what version
of Windows you're running VB6 under.

--
Mike

Dee Earley

On 11/11/2011 12:42, Thorsten Albers wrote:
> AFAIR on Win7 you get a Java related message only if you try to install MS
> Visual Java++<= 6.

VS6 install checks for it regardless.
I think it's even before you get to choose what you want to install.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems